Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview signal in Galway

Options
  • 19-09-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have just recently bought a new saorview approved Tv for the bedroom and am just wondering what the digital signal is like in the city? In particular the Newcastle area.

Would a cheap indoor aerial be enough to pick up the channels or is a rooftop aerial necessary?
    I'm a student so if a rooftop aerial is necessary then I won't bother.

I have done a search of the city forum and the terrestrial forum but couldn't find any definite answers.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Should be very strong, point it at the red light on the high tower west of Newcastle at night ( Tonabrocky ) . Indoor €2 jobbies should suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Should be very strong, point it at the red light on the high tower west of Newcastle at night ( Tonabrocky ) . Indoor €2 jobbies should suffice.

Really? Lovely stuff so... Anywhere in town that has the €2 jobbies so? :p

€2 shops I'd have thought! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Actually if you go onto the saorview site, type in your location in the City it will tell you to point it at Maghera which is to the South East, Maghera is a horizantal antenna and Tonabrucky is vertical antenna, the correct mast for Newcastle is Maghera. The signal on my one is 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

ciano1 wrote: »
    Hey,

I have just recently bought a new saorview approved Tv for the bedroom and am just wondering what the digital signal is like in the city? In particular the Newcastle area.

I have it working in a low area east of the city with an old portable tv aerial, so a coat hanger will probably be good enough in newcastle.

• Advertisement

The Maghera signal low down in Newcastle is fairly crap, requires more than a coat hanger I'll wager. :) If you see aerials on roofs pointing toward Limerick on your estate OP them is Maghera aerials. Tonabrocky can be picked up indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Type in Newcastle and it gives you Maghera, if Tonabrucky was the one for Newcastle it would give it, but it says Maghera dont forget if you have a horizantal antenna and point it at Tonabrucky it will not give you 100% digital the same applies if you have a vertical antenna and point it at Maghera it will not give you a proper signal, I have a horizantal antenna pointed at Maghera and its showing picture quality of 100% cant be any better than that.

http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I have a pretty poor time with a "2 euro jobbie" :) And I actually live fairly close to Tonabrucky (near Knocknacarra). I couldn't find any of the channels at the back of the apartment (near where the TV is located).

But with an amplified antenna I managed OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

It is not Galway per se but I live in Clarinbridge and I only have an antenna CABLE hanging out of the Saor view box - perfect signal.

Discovered this by mistake, it is a bit odd but saved me a lot of hassle. Might be worth a shot depending on where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

I have set up a few houses with saorview for friends and I bought everything from tvtrade.ie. You can get the proper aerial for a tenner. And get a kit with aerial, cable, connectors, etc for about 40 quid delivered. I mounted these aerials in the attic and they worked fine. That website also has tutorial videos to show you how to wire and setup everything. It's very easy to do.

• Advertisement

A Maghera attic aerial should work for Tonabrocky as long as it picks up TV3 analogue, turn it to fact Tonabrocky and make sure it is VERTICAL not HORIZONTAL.

Group A aeriel from here

http://www.tvtrade.ie/tv-and-radio-aerials/uhf-aerials.html

Pointed Vertical meaning the row of teeth point at the ground.

Collector ( the rectangular plate bit) furthest away from Tonabrocky!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

From the above-mentioned tvtrade.ie:

Frank asks;
    I live in the Galway region and am advised that I should be able to get the new Saorview Digital Tv service from either the Maghera Transmitter or the Tonabrocky Transmitter. Can you tell me what TV Aerial is best to use with either please?
    TV Trade's answer;

Easy enough question Frank. The aerial you need for the Maghera Transmitter is...
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/green-group-cd-uhf-aerial.html
    the best aerial for the Tonabrocky transmitter is.....
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/red-group-a-uhf-aerial.html
    There are other options but htese would be the ideal ones for you depending on location and signal strength.
    If you feel or know for sure that you are in a poor reception area then the floowing High Gain UHF aerial is probbaly best for you.
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/wide-band-grid-uhf-aerial.html

http://www.tvtrade.ie/what-aerial-do-i-need-to-work-with-in-galway-from-the-maghera-or-tonabrocky-transmitter.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Couldn't find a €2 jobby in town so ended up buying a €7 jobby in Argos :o

It's picking up Tonabrocky (Ch 26) and cant pick up Maghara at all.
    It's fine now late at night but during the day it's very blocky! :(

Make sure the 'elements' are vertical ( teeth point to ground) not parallel to the ground and report back. I told you it wouldn't work for Maghera anyway. :) If you need an aerial in the attic to sort the signal then look at the €10 Band A unit on TV Trade or else get a similar in Costelloe and Gibbons next to the Galway City Gym.

Advertisement