Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blockwork Bond

• 19-09-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for the name of the blockwork bond you see in indutrial type situations where you have 2 concrete blocks laid on the flat in doubles and laid in a stretcher bond.

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i doubt theres any name other than stretcher bond for that.

Its usually used as infill blockwork between whatever the super structure support columns are. The cheapest way to form a 215 solid block wall is to do it that way. If you think about it, its simply block on flat continuously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Thanks for that. I guess it's the quickest way aswell to lay in doubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd just add, stacking the bricks on top of each other with no offset between course is called stack bond. What you describe is a cross between the two. So stretcher stack bond or similar is prob the most suitable name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I think I know where the op is coming from here it's alternate courses of block on flat followed by block on edge (x2) similar to brickwork bonding (English bond).

Have seen it used in industrial units and sport club type venues.I would imagine it is just for aesthetic value as opposed to structural value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I think I know where the op is coming from here it's alternate courses of block on flat followed by block on edge (x2) similar to brickwork bonding (English bond).

Have seen it used in industrial units and sport club type venues.I would imagine it is just for aesthetic value as opposed to structural value.

No I know that one, this one is in the photo attached
    (I should've attached a photo to begin with :rolleyes:)

uysir.jpg

As said above I don't think it has a bond name as it's a mixture of stacked and stretcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

The above picture is commonly referred to as "block on flat" or 9" block on flat.
    Single 4" course laid on their flat would be a lot less common.(ie where each course of 4" blocks would be laid on top of each other and half bonded).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Simply "block on flat" Its the usual way to lay blocks on flat.

Advertisement