Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I continue to pay health insurance?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd put a quick question out there. What is the real benefits of having Private Health Insurance? I'm 34 and have asthma. Currently I am unemployed so I am getting a medical card but my very very very kind parents put me on their policy a few years ago after I had a bad attack (my first since I was a child) a couple of years ago while I was travelling. They were worried that if I had any further problems I wouldn't get cover for 5 years due to existing illness so they the plan was to get the ball rolling and I would take it over when I got a full time job.

But like so many others that full time job has been harder to find then we thought at the time. I want to continue the policy but I'm finding it hard to justify the cost?

In the last four years I've been in to hospital as a day patient a few times as I have had some asthma related allergy issues but every time I went public and no major issues bar a longer wait time but living in the West the wait is never going to be as bad a those in Dublin. The only other benefit I see is for maternity as myself and my partner would like to start a family in a few years but again friends have gone public and see no real difference.

Any advise would be great. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

As you have asthma you should probably keep your private health insurance.

If you didn't have asthma I'd probably advise you to get rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If you come off it would there not be an issue if you ever decided to take it up again with have a pre-existing condition? Like your asthma might not be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MZK

Hi danthefan, yeah if I come off it and decide at a later stage I need to go back on I will not be covered for any asthma related illness for 5 years so will have to start the process all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭irbx

i would recommend to keep the plan as if cancelled more then 13 weeks you back to square and 5 years waiting period. if over 55 years waiting period would be more.

If cost is the issue i would look at the HIA.ie site and choose the cheapest plan (remember company and teacher and nurse plans are available to you) to keep you service .

when you get a full time job and upgrade again

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Yes anything that a consultant deems to be associated with the asthma would be treated as a pre existing condition. So if you decide to join again in 5 years, you will never know whether a procedure would be covered or not without checking in advance. Eventhen, the insurance company may only get the confirmation from a consultant after you have queried. We'll have Universal heathcare by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 MZK

Thanks a million for all your advise, I think I will have to keep the plan but will shop around and look for a basic cheaper one to keep me going until I get a full time job. Thanks irbx that site will be really useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Why does anyone have private health insurance?

I am genuinely perplexed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 DeathByDebt

I dont have it, cant afford it and never will.

Advertisement