Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Fantasy Basketball?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

Is anyone interested in doing a fantasy NBA for the coming season. I see ESPN offer free leagues?

Type of Draft? 13 votes

Live Draft
    0% 0 votes
    Auto pick
    84% 11 votes
    Offline Draft
    15% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'll do it anyway :) Did it last year but wasn't very happy with my effort !

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

I'm up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Couldn't do any worse than my Fantasy Football team is doing....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Cool if we get a few more I'll set up the league. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm in

Can I maybe suggest we do it on yahoo instead of ESPN?

The ESPN format is a pain to use and read

Yahoo worked well for us in baseball forum

But I'm easy, will go with whatever is decided :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Up for it as well.
    Easy about League, but personally prefer Yahoo.
    Last year was Roto and boy did I learn a thing or two about Roto, manging to go from leading by 3 to losing by 4 in the space of the last week.
    But I do it all over again (differently)...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

In

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

I'd be interested too. Is there a handicap system for rookies?:)

Created a league today on Yahoo, select the join a league and the league ID is 50476 and pm me for the password, I'll pm people who posted already on the thread the password later on tonight, there's a max of twelve teams allowed on it so after the people on the thread it'll be first come first served.

ec18 wrote: »
    Created a league today on Yahoo, select the join a league and the league ID is 50476 and pm me for the password, I'll pm people who posted already on the thread the password later on tonight, there's a max of twelve teams allowed on it so after the people on the thread it'll be first come first served.

Perfect ! Delighted we're not using ESPN as it was probably the worst fantasy experience I've had ! Should be able to join this tomorrow morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Perfect ! Delighted we're not using ESPN as it was probably the worst fantasy experience I've had ! Should be able to join this tomorrow morning :)

Agreed, the ESPN one is a nightmare...

What are people opinions about doing a live draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

Yeah, defo on for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

anyone else having trouble, its telling me there is no league with that number

A bit about the Draft Options,

Live Online Draft (Standard or Auction) Compare Draft Types
    Your league will participate in a live online draft that may last several hours and requires a Flash-enabled browser. Test your system to see if it is draft compatible.

Autopick Draft
    We will draft teams for your league based on either our default rankings or individual manager's pre-draft player rankings. Once you set your league's draft status to Ready, your draft will happen within 72 hours.

Offline Draft
    Your league conducts its own player draft offline (standard or auction) and submits the results via our draft results entry page, which can be reached from the Commissioner's Tools on your league overview page.

stuchyg wrote: »
    anyone else having trouble, its telling me there is no league with that number

I got that but I tried again and it worked.
    ec18 wrote: »
    A bit about the Draft Options,

Live Online Draft (Standard or Auction) Compare Draft Types
    Your league will participate in a live online draft that may last several hours and requires a Flash-enabled browser. Test your system to see if it is draft compatible.

Autopick Draft
    We will draft teams for your league based on either our default rankings or individual manager's pre-draft player rankings. Once you set your league's draft status to Ready, your draft will happen within 72 hours.

Offline Draft
    Your league conducts its own player draft offline (standard or auction) and submits the results via our draft results entry page, which can be reached from the Commissioner's Tools on your league overview page.

I didn't know what I was doing last night and I entered a live draft but left it on autopick after about 7 picks because people were taking ages to draft when it was their turn.

Supposedly they send an email with the draft results but I never got any so I dunno what happened there.

Anyway I don't mind whatever way we do the draft.

So i have manage to register, should we offline draft. Iv never done an NBA fantasy league, how exactly does the selecting of players work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

i want in. pmme code please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

You have to draft Live.
    Autopick gives you no control of your team.
    offline sounds like a nightmare.

I have never done anything but Live.
    If you dont want to turn up, then you can do a pre-select and hope the players are available when it is your turn. this is autodraft.
    you can also do a part live and then drop out and ask the computer to do the rest by ticking a checkbox.

I don't mean to sound like a pr1ck here, but, the league is only as good as how active the players in it are.
    So if you aren't up for giving it a go and be prepared to change your team (maybe daily) or accept/reject trades made to you then it is better you don't take part.
    Inactivity kills leagues.
    Last years league was really inactive despite the best efforts of the GM to engage people.
    Sorry for the rant

You have to draft Live.
    Autopick gives you no control of your team.
    offline sounds like a nightmare.

I have never done anything but Live.
    If you dont want to turn up, then you can do a pre-select and hope the players are available when it is your turn. this is autodraft.
    you can also do a part live and then drop out and ask the computer to do the rest by ticking a checkbox.

I don't mean to sound like a pr1ck here, but, the league is only as good as how active the players in it are.
    So if you aren't up for giving it a go and be prepared to change your team (maybe daily) or accept/reject trades made to you then it is better you don't take part.
    Inactivity kills leagues.
    Last years league was really inactive despite the best efforts of the GM to engage people.
    Sorry for the rant

I think last years lack of success can be put down to ESPN's site. Personally I found it irritating to log in to often and very tedious. It wasn't very nice to look at either. Hopefully yahoo will lead to a more active league :)

• Advertisement

How long does the draft usually take and when will it take place

stuchyg wrote: »
    How long does the draft usually take and when will it take place

Won't take too long, maybe 45mins to an hour depending on how many are online for it, it's quicker with less people online but it generally leads to bad teams being created !
    As for time, its usually a few days before the season begins.

we need one more player before we can get ready to draft. there's currently 9 and you need an even number :S Can do the draft any time up to the 23rd October

any news yet on the draft have been thinking on what players to try draft

need 1 more person before yahoo will let the league be sent to draft

We may make a dummy account if nobody else joins on time

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

I can be your dummy account :P Never done a fantasy-anything before and I've just started following the NBA this year so dunno how much competition Ill be. But I'll give it a shot!

delta214 wrote: »
    I can be your dummy account :P Never done a fantasy-anything before and I've just started following the NBA this year so dunno how much competition Ill be. But I'll give it a shot!

Excellent ! Fantasy is a great way to get into the sport as it makes you know more players and teams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mr_fortycoats

I'd be interested. I used to do them a few years back but gave up.

• Advertisement

even teams now......I'm going to propose Friday night, Sunday night or Monday night for the draft. Can people message me their preferred night?

Advertisement