Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the nosiest question you have ever been asked?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Any question a one night stand asks you the next morning is nosey.

The question you really wish they would ask is 'wheres the nearest busstop?'
    Ha! That reminds me of a time I was walking home one morning from the GF's and I was passing this other house when a woman hangs out of a window and says "Excuse me! Where am I?" I says the name of the area and she says "No, what town am I in?" "Monaghan" says I. "Ah bollix!" says she.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

This is really amusing me.....people are UNREAL like!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

If the hair on my head was the same colour as "down below".

Well is it ?

*looks at username*

never mind.

Got asked by a friend, "where did you get the money to buy that car?

I got it by minding my own fcukin business, thats where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Where are you from?
    Ireland
    North or south?
    South
    Are you catholic?
    None of your business like.

I find it amusing that "God..." liked that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

How much do you earn?

How did you afford to buy that?

I thought you get paid tomorrow?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Its just pure bad manners:mad:

i'm curious as to how much you earn now... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

"Do you mind if I set up my camera a couple of hundred yards away from your holiday apartment's balcony so I can snap pictures of yer missus with her puppies on display?

Come on! I didn't even have to ask!"

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

i'm curious as to how much you earn now... :o

:(:(:(:(:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Person: "So, how many fags would you smoke a day?"
    Me: "Ah, probably X amount."
    Person: "Right............and there's 20 in a pack? Which come out at €9+ for a pack?...........*mumble, mumble*"
    Me: "Wh.........what are you doing?
    Person: "Just calculating up how much you spend a year on fags......."

Me: "You finish that math and I'll cut your fùckin' throat from ear to ear....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

- So how much do you earn?

- Mind your own fúcking business!

- OK, well thanks for coming in, this interview is over....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The good lady and myself are together 8 years this Christmas. I constantly get asked by people whom I don't talk to very often 'When are you getting married' or 'When are you having kids'. Both of these annoy me no end.

I was talking to my neighbour not all that long ago. The conversation was in free flow and I happened to mentioned that I was better off in the new job. I was asked how much I earned and I stupidly blurted it out as the bluntness of it caught me off guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

"And what do you do?" from someone I've known for ten seconds.

Why do you care? So you can figure out whether or not I'm worthy of conversation with your esteemed self? **** away off ya rude muppet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

The good lady and myself are together 8 years this Christmas. I constantly get asked by people whom I don't talk to very often 'When are you getting married' or 'When are you having kids'. Both of these annoy me no end.

I was talking to my neighbour not all that long ago. The conversation was in free flow and I happened to mentioned that I was better off in the new job. I was asked how much I earned and I stupidly blurted it out as the bluntness of it caught me off guard.

Ha your post reminded me of this vid, you should have went all harry enfield on his ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHo2pXO_XAI&playnext=1&list=PLAEF2450B6DA06972&feature=results_main

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ahava

A wee boy: Are you a mammy?
    Me: No, I'm not a mammy.
    A wee boy: Why are you not a mammy?
    Me: Ehm... a... eee... amm... maybe I will be one day.
    A wee boy: Is this why your boobies are so small? Because you're not a mammy? My mammy has big boobies.
    Me: :eek:
    A wee boy: Maybe when you are a mammy you will have bigger boobies.

All this in front of his parents - my boss and his wife, and my recently met male co-worker.

They are not THAT small... the cheek of him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Ahava wrote: »
    A wee boy: Are you a mammy?
    Me: No, I'm not a mammy.
    A wee boy: Why are you not a mammy?
    Me: Ehm... a... eee... amm... maybe I will be one day.
    A wee boy: Is this why your boobies are so small? Because you're not a mammy? My mammy has big boobies.
    Me: :eek:
    A wee boy: Maybe when you are a mammy you will have bigger boobies.

All this in front of his parents - my boss and his wife, and my recently met male co-worker.

They are not THAT small... the cheek of him!

prove it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I dont mind money, work, health, relationship or religious questions. We are all only human, and these things are subject to change.

What rrrreeeeeeaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyy pisses me off are "questions" designed to undermine / belittle you. eg. You wouldn't know how to do X, would you?, when the person knows well you are either an expert in that area or are totally clueless. They just want to put you on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I dont know why it bothers me, but I hate ringing a company looking for someone and the receptionist asks "ok, may I ask who's calling?"

Really bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ahava

Real Life wrote: »
    prove it

Hah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

"You speak beautifully. Where did you learn to speak English?"

"How did you manage to afford that house?" I've been asked that so many times that, if I use a taxi to go home, I get out at the top of the street and walk the rest of the way.

One day my daughter was asked by a teacher, "Were you adopted?". Simply because she is mixed-race.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

There's a lad out on the Forum asking people how much savings they have..

That's pretty fuppin' nosy if you ask me..

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I was in a taxi one evening and the taxi driver asked me if I was related to so and so, (so and so being my brother who had died in a car accident about 6 months beforehand), when I said yes, his next question was, "How did he look in the coffin?" I was so shocked, I just said "fine" then told him to stop straightaway and got out. Wish I'd punched the fcuk out of that cnut :mad:

• Advertisement

Who d'ya prefer, Oasis or Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kungfu kid

'is this funny'
    then they smash my face off a car door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Shenshen wrote: »
    Old lady on the bus in Dublin turning round to me and asking me if I'm catholic...
    Had this last weekend in Spain.

Where are you from?
    Ireland
    North or south?
    South
    Are you catholic?
    None of your business like.

It actually really pissed me off for some reason!

Was just reading through the thread and about to give the example above when I spotted your post, Whoops. I get this all the time here. Someone asked me last week outside a coffee shop. What kind of feckin' small talk question is that ffs?

Told them I'm not religious to which he answered, "But are you Catholic?". I'd been polite to that point but told him to feck off after that.

Seriously, that's such a private question and you know it's a loaded question when they ask you to make all kinds of uninformed judgements on your politics as well (i.e. that you don't like English people). :rolleyes:

Actually the funniest time I was asked this question was travelling around Italy last Summer. Was on the train out of Rome when a nun in the full gettup was sitting across from me. We hadn't talked at all until she leans over towards me and asks me quietly, "Are you Catholic?". I said "No" and that was the end of that. Obviously didn't want to chinwag with a heathen.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

xzanti wrote: »
    There's a lad out on the Forum asking people how much savings they have..

That's pretty fuppin' nosy if you ask me..

the more they have the less they tell

funny, that! you'd think it'd be the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Absolutely nothing. I'm a bit unnaproachable in that regard. Can't really imagine anyone sidling up and asking me anything personal. "Fock orf ya nosy cnut" would be the answer anyway. I have been called "standoffish" in the past. Too right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

GarIT wrote: »
    I got on the bus today and an old man got on beside me, I was asked every question he could think of. Am I in college, What am I studying, how long is the course, will I emigrate, where do I live, is it a nice place, what do I think of his daughter that went back to college to be a teacher. Then I put my earphones in.

I actually like talking to people on the bus, its usual older people who start chatting. When i used public transport when i had babies, they were a great source of discussion for people, babies are like magnets. It costs nothing to give someone a stranger a little bit of your time and perhaps they don't have too many family/friends close by and need some human interaction with people even a stranger on the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A cop once asked me where I got the money to pay for the insurance on a motorbike. I would have been about 20 and insurance would have been the inequivalent of a months wages. I told him it was none of his business. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A cop once asked me where I got the money to pay for the insurance on a motorbike. I would have been about 20 and insurance would have been the inequivalent of a months wages. I told him it was none of his business. :p

Had a friend who was asked that about his 10 year old BMW. Eh, I make more than you do garda, go back to school and you can have one too... is what he wanted to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

By a nun in my school. "why don't you live with your father?"
    "if he's not a good person, does this make you the devil's child" (i swear to God)
    "why doesn't he love you"
    "Are you having sex?"
    "How much does your ma earn?"
    Nosey bat, had me tormented

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

How much did you pay for your engagement ring....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Working in a shop some woman shouted "Should you not be in school?"
    "What??"
    Then she muttered something and I ignored her.
    No idea where that conversation was going. I wanted to say actually I'm doing a degree and I'm the manager and make more than you...
    But other staff were there and didn't want to belittle them either.

The next customer was more in shock that I was.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

"ya do know that's the women's toilets; don't you?!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Getting a taxi home from the Hospital, Taxi Driver asked what it is that I was in the Hospital for.

thought that was a bit invasive....

Reminded me of when I went into hospital for a colonoscopy procedure, now THAT was invasive! :pac:

And then the doctor I'd only just met started asking me a load of questions before the gas knocked me out, so I didn't have the chance to tell him to put a plug in it! -_-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Was your ****e black this morning after the Guinness the night before?
    Do you hate having Red hair?
    Lend of a 20? NO! sure ya got paid today. feck off like
    Does your girlfriend give good head? Does she take it up the arse?
    What did ya eat for lunch to make your farts smell worse than a dead body?
    Why were ya in a field of sheep scuttered at 5AM?
    How much do ya get paid? (really irratates me that one)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

I think nosiness is in AH speak, thinly veiled begrudgery.
    I've seen people leave school at whatever age back in the 80's and by the grace of god its worked out for them. That goes for people who didnt finish the leaving and a few years later went back and did it , got their degree in what they wanted to do and moved on, to people who slaved as an apprentice and years later were successful . Both these types of people, as an example, have spent years knocking on the door trying to make and get a life for themselves. Yet some clown will come out and say that they knew them when they ' didn't have a pot to piss in'. God forbid that maybe they should get some credit for their hard work. The nosiness usually boils down to where/when/what they did in the previous years and searching for holes.
    So you say he went to America/UK/Germany for six years for work but what was he really doin over there. A cousin of a cousin of mine heard that they saw him over there in a park one day, a couple of years ago lying in a park in the middle of the day using a newspaper as a pillow. Didn’t look too successful then.
    Listening to the begrudgery/nosiness you have to fill in the blanks and assume that it was Sunday afternoon and that maybe he/she had read the paper and was havin a well deserved snooze in the sun.
    Maybe that’s what nosiness is. Someone, and that someone is usually a c*nt, has written their script to your life and cant understand that somehow you have deviated from their script and their nosiness is an attempt to fix it.

e.g. nosy prick: how can they afford that car
    psychology behind the nosy prick: I always thought he/she would drive a banger
    So the nosy prick now has a problem. He/she begrudges the fact that you have a nice car. Their script is broken and they want to know why, anything to make them feel better. So forget about explaining that you worked hard and got a promotion/gave up the fags/didn't have a holiday this year. After being tormented to the point of being a nosy bastard , they will accept any other reason except a valid one for the answer to their question. Hence their friend of a cousins cousin story who heard that the car is a knock off/you were given it by your aunts uncle/you found it at the side of the road etc.
    Basically take it as a compliment when someone crosses the line from polite curiosity to outright nosiness.
    It means that you have something (tangible or intangible) that they want and that they know they will never get, and because of that, they don’t want you to have it either.
    Take the nosiness as a compliment that you have broken the nosy persons script and that they are spending a lot more time wondering and worrying about you rather than the millisecond of your irritation when these clowns intrude on your consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kissthesky

Sorry about the long winded . I hope it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

areyawell wrote: »
    Was your ****e black this morning after the Guinness the night before?

Fairly sure that's a fairly standard question! :p

Every Irish person I've met in Australia asks the same questions:
    What visa are you on?
    How long's left on it?
    What do you do?
    How much are you on an hour?

As if they have feck all else to talk about! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Reminded me of when I went into hospital for a colonoscopy procedure, now THAT was invasive! :pac:

And then the doctor I'd only just met started asking me a load of questions before the gas knocked me out, so I didn't have the chance to tell him to put a plug in it! -_-
    No, That wasn't necessary. I think he pretty much got around to putting a plug in it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

I was on a bus in Vegas and some Texan guy started talking to me (people seem to be chatty when on holiday), his first question is "where are you from?", after I said Ireland, his next question was "are you catholic or protestant?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

jahalpin wrote: »
    I was on a bus in Vegas and some Texan guy started talking to me (people seem to be chatty when on holiday), his first question is "where are you from?", after I said Ireland, his next question was "are you catholic or protestant?"

I'm always getting asked that as well, I usually just say neither.

Hate the assumption that because I'm Irish I have to be one or the other :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Not directed at me but to a girl with two children chatting to a sales assistant bout her kids, obviously just friendly chat, didnt know each other- 'and are they from the same father?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

kissthesky wrote: »
    I think nosiness is in AH speak, thinly veiled begrudgery.
    I've seen people leave school at whatever age back in the 80's and by the grace of god its worked out for them. That goes for people who didnt finish the leaving and a few years later went back and did it , got their degree in what they wanted to do and moved on, to people who slaved as an apprentice and years later were successful . Both these types of people, as an example, have spent years knocking on the door trying to make and get a life for themselves. Yet some clown will come out and say that they knew them when they ' didn't have a pot to piss in'. God forbid that maybe they should get some credit for their hard work. The nosiness usually boils down to where/when/what they did in the previous years and searching for holes.
    So you say he went to America/UK/Germany for six years for work but what was he really doin over there. A cousin of a cousin of mine heard that they saw him over there in a park one day, a couple of years ago lying in a park in the middle of the day using a newspaper as a pillow. Didn’t look too successful then.
    Listening to the begrudgery/nosiness you have to fill in the blanks and assume that it was Sunday afternoon and that maybe he/she had read the paper and was havin a well deserved snooze in the sun.
    Maybe that’s what nosiness is. Someone, and that someone is usually a c*nt, has written their script to your life and cant understand that somehow you have deviated from their script and their nosiness is an attempt to fix it.

e.g. nosy prick: how can they afford that car
    psychology behind the nosy prick: I always thought he/she would drive a banger
    So the nosy prick now has a problem. He/she begrudges the fact that you have a nice car. Their script is broken and they want to know why, anything to make them feel better. So forget about explaining that you worked hard and got a promotion/gave up the fags/didn't have a holiday this year. After being tormented to the point of being a nosy bastard , they will accept any other reason except a valid one for the answer to their question. Hence their friend of a cousins cousin story who heard that the car is a knock off/you were given it by your aunts uncle/you found it at the side of the road etc.
    Basically take it as a compliment when someone crosses the line from polite curiosity to outright nosiness.
    It means that you have something (tangible or intangible) that they want and that they know they will never get, and because of that, they don’t want you to have it either.
    Take the nosiness as a compliment that you have broken the nosy persons script and that they are spending a lot more time wondering and worrying about you rather than the millisecond of your irritation when these clowns intrude on your consciousness.

Quality Post! I'm printing it out as we speak, so I can stick it on the wall of my office! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Q "Have ya a man in yer life?"

A. Several. Sometimes one by one, sometimes all at once. In a big pile.

Q. "How'd ya manage to buy that house?"

A. I am independently wealthy.

Ask me nonsense, and you'll get nonsense in reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

cassid wrote: »
    I actually like talking to people on the bus, its usual older people who start chatting. When i used public transport when i had babies, they were a great source of discussion for people, babies are like magnets. It costs nothing to give someone a stranger a little bit of your time and perhaps they don't have too many family/friends close by and need some human interaction with people even a stranger on the bus.

Yeah I wouldn't disagree with you there but at times it can be too personal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I remember when I started my first job in telecoms - open plan office, so all conversations involved everyone - one of my co-workers mentioned that she had been horseriding from a very young age. One of her colleagues promptly inquired if it's indeed true that horseriding breaks the hymen before a girl is sexually active.

Advertisement