Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of acorns on native Irish Oaks

Options
  • 19-09-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I am looking to grow some oak trees from acorns, had some good success with some I planted last year & want to grow some more.
    The only thing is I can’t see any acorns this year. Has anyone noticed this lack of acorns on our native Irish oaks, or maybe its just the trees I've looked at.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I have a good few acorns on mine. Happy to give them to you if you can collect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

JR79 wrote: »
    I am looking to grow some oak trees from acorns, had some good success with some I planted last year & want to grow some more.
    The only thing is I can’t see any acorns this year. Has anyone noticed this lack of acorns on our native Irish oaks, or maybe its just the trees I've looked at.

Thanks

It seems to be avery localised..
    the trees round me have very little fruit..

Haws/Slows/Damsons/Plums/Apples/Chestnuts are all virtually non existant..
    Pockets of late frosts last sring seem to have caused problems in some areas.. We're at 260meters high and quite exposed..

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Thanks for that Maddragon but I am afraid I am based in Dublin & the west of Ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your best bet is to always use locally sourced acorns; they're more likely to do well in the conditions the parent tree did well in; acorns from an oak in dublin might not do well planted in a windy spot in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If you are a fan of the local provenance idea then tree seed should be sourced from within a 20 mile radius of the planting area.

Not to disagree with you magicbastarder as I agree with you, but the exception proves the rule.. :D
    I was given a seedling of an evergreen oak with the acorn collected in the national botanic gardens up there, which I cosseted for a year or two in a pot and it is flourishing here in an exposed site in Mayo albeit adjacent to a beech hedge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Look for a stream in a ravine or a narrow valley where the trees are protected from the wind. Typically you'll find some ancient woodland and lots of local oaks with acorns on.
    It's been a bad year for fruit and seeds altogether. Not nearly as many berries on Rowan, not as many Damsons or Apples either. I wanted to take some conkers and grow a few Horse Chestnuts myself but there's only a handful and they're still on the trees.

It's not too bad yet though. Consider poor small-leaved lime trees - they haven't produced viable seed in England (where they're native) for a few centuries now - it's too cool in summer. They were common during warmer periods in history but probably ceased to be common as the climate began cooling after the Medieval warm period. The trees what are left sometimes produce clones from suckers or fallen branches that have taken root, some may set seed if we have a very good summer one year.

apples did not do well here this year, but rowan seems to have loads of berries and the chestnets lots of conkers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was recently reading that the annual demad for acorns in ireland runs to 35 tons, but that only 8 tons are collected here. the rest are sourced abroad.

i was recently reading that the annual demad for acorns in ireland runs to 35 tons, but that only 8 tons are collected here. the rest are sourced abroad.
    can you link that pl, thats very worrying.

these collect native acorns
    http://www.nonesohardy.ie/nsh-developments/native-woodland-scheme.php

Why? What do people do with them? Eat them or grow trees?

• Advertisement

Oldtree wrote: »
    can you link that pl, thats very worrying.
    found the link:

http://www.coilltenurseries.ie/notes/oak-harvesting.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3 healthfood

Hey there,

Just wondering if you managed to find any acorns? I've been looking for some for ages with no luck!

went looking for some today, and i found one, in about half an hour of searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 healthfood

Eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

healthfood wrote: »
    Hey there,

Just wondering if you managed to find any acorns? I've been looking for some for ages with no luck!

Hi

In the end I found 5 so not much luck really!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

about a month ago, there were hundreds and hundreds that had fallen on Conynham road in Dublin 8 along by the Park. A couple of days later they had been road-swept up. Try there again....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Theres also a fungus disease that is spreading accross Europe and has now hit Ireland.

It is killing off various trees and especially ash trees.

The leaves fall off and the tree dies from the top down.

There is a lack of ash now in this country for the hurley makers to make hurleys.

Article about the disease and how if affects trees in todays Sun,Herald and Irish Daily Mail.

Thread about ash dieback here on forestry:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056779392

so far ash dieback does not affect any other species, but there are other different pathogens working their way through various tree species.

About the acorns, My evergreen oak had lots of immature acorns on it but unfortunatly none matured and there are no visible signs of disease on the plant.

Similarly the apple harvest is down to 30% of normal, put down to the opoor spring so it may be the same for the acorns.

The disease is spreading like wildfire through the UK at the moment.

Its spreads by the wind and the RFS/RHS and UK Goverment are clueless as to how to stop it spreading.

Its wiping out all the Ash trees over there now.

Its so serious that it made the main headlines on Sky News today.

http://news.sky.com/story/1008127/ash-dieback-threat-may-be-worse-than-feared

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20226831

i reckon there's nothing for it but let it run its course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I wish it would come to my garden and kill my ash tree's. i hate them. is there anyone who would cut it down for free to use the wood? i presume there probably is.

what's so hateful about ash trees?

ah they are fine in the right place. its just that they are growing exactly down the border line with my neighbour and i dont want to pay 400 quid to remove them and build a wall or a fence.

ah they are fine in the right place. its just that they are growing exactly down the border line with my neighbour and i dont want to pay 400 quid to remove them and build a wall or a fence.

Are they big/mature trees??

there are 3 of them that are pretty young. id say less than ten which shouldnt be too hard to get out. the one on the end could be about 30 or so and the trunk is very thick. that one will need a lot of work.

ensure you are within the law to fell trees and that you have the (written) agreement of your neighbour if the trees straddle the boundry. Unless you dig them out or are happy for them to regrow, you may want to poison the root to ensure they dont regrow.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/treefelling/legalrequirementsfortreefelling/

I am alright

b) The tree in question is less than 100 feet from a dwelling other than a wall or temporary structure;

i could handle most of it myself with a decent saw. any tips on how to poisen it good so it dies as quick as possible?

Cut them down yourself? A saw doesn't cost very much. Trees don't just vanish once they're dead, they still stand for years and eventually drop branches rather dangerously so you'd have to cut them down anyway.

A saw doesn't cost very much.
    certainly not. but a tree falling on your house does.

• Advertisement

certainly not. but a tree falling on your house does.

Get up a ladder and drop off a few branches at a time, then cut a wedge in the trunk. Then either cut through or attach a long rope and pull it down.

pine-safe-tree-felling.jpg

Alternatively if you're just waiting for ash dieback to reach it you could just drill a few holes and pour bleach in.

Advertisement