Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of acorns on native Irish Oaks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

thanks very much. very helpful. i am going to take him out this weekend. and then i'll load up the stump with bleach. i actually dont mind having a bit of a stump there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Be very careful, a ladder can be a death trap to the unweary as can an novice felling a tree. As my grandmother used to say to me "stupid is as stupid does" :D

Bleach is not a sound environmentally or effective method of poisioning a tree or tree stump.

read my and other posters posts here if you do not intend to dig the stump out starting at: 18-09-2012, 13:18

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056188147

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

thanks very much. very helpful. i am going to take him out this weekend. and then i'll load up the stump with bleach. i actually dont mind having a bit of a stump there.

It's probably better to dig the stump out, I'd only bleach it if it's too much to remove really. A lot of European trees will regrow from the stump, ash is one of them. It's the whole idea behind the practice of coppicing.
    Oldtree wrote: »
    Be very careful, a ladder can be a death trap to the unweary as can an novice felling a tree. As my grandmother used to say to me "stupid is as stupid does" :D

Bleach is not a sound environmentally or effective method of poisioning a tree or tree stump.

read my and other posters posts here if you do not intend to dig the stump out starting at: 18-09-2012, 13:18

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2056188147

Well it depends on quantity really. There are a lot of negative natural chemicals all around us and run-off from urban areas such as car wash, lead off roofs and weedkillers, etc... In small quantities the effects are rather negligible. It's not good for the environment though, but then again nothing humans do really is. ;)

Personally I'd dig up the stump or take as much off as possible, enough so that nothing above ground would remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

It's probably better to dig the stump out, I'd only bleach it if it's too much to remove really. A lot of European trees will regrow from the stump, ash is one of them. It's the whole idea behind the practice of coppicing.

Well it depends on quantity really. There are a lot of negative natural chemicals all around us and run-off from urban areas such as car wash, lead off roofs and weedkillers, etc... In small quantities the effects are rather negligible. It's not good for the environment though, but then again nothing humans do really is. ;)

Personally I'd dig up the stump or take as much off as possible, enough so that nothing above ground would remain.

yes digging the stump up would be the best avenue if you dont want it to regrow, second best is to poison the stump with a more benign chemical that turns into a nitrogenous fertiliser within 30 days. Bleach is not on the list and would only be used by cheapskates that have no respect for the environment let alone their own gardens.

Why seek to add more inappropiate chemicals into the environment around us, it may appear a small amount of damage on an individual basis but not so small if everybody does it. My own preference is to do as little damage as possible to the environment and respect it.

Advertisement