Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

grease bearing boat trailor

Options
  • 19-09-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

any ideas how to grease the bearing on a boat trailor... and also where to get kit for it.. perhaps better to just pay the local garage to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

there should be a grease nipple on the wheel hub , just buy a grease gun approx €12-16 , a tube of marine grease and keeping squeezing the grease in there until it either comes out the back of the hub or through the hole in the centre of the hub cap.

images_zps9fe906b4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

i do it EVERY trip longer than few miles (and after every few short ones).
    I bought my pump and grease here: http://www.dicksonbearings.ie/
    Pump was around 20-30 Euro. I would suggest to buy marine grade grease.
    But if you never did it before i would recommend to open hubs and have careful bearing inspection first...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

breghall wrote: »
    there should be a grease nipple on the wheel hub , just buy a grease gun approx €12-16 , a tube of marine grease and keeping squeezing the grease in there until it either comes out the back of the hub or through the hole in the centre of the hub cap.

images_zps9fe906b4.jpg

i found that grease nipple thing... but there is a small two pronged metal pin that goes through it and you open the ends outlaws to lock it off... they are rusted to fek on both sides and i cant get em out..... there kinda 3/4 stuck.... i guess the nipple is behind that... maybe just gotta get some proper tools

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

nipple is at the very surface of hub.
    Inside of hub (behind dust cover) you should find a nut holding wheel on the axe. This nut is secured in place by split pin - is this "2 pronged metal pin" as you described? just too long and sticking out for some reason?
    If this the case i would definitely open hub. You will find similar thread on boards in sailing section (with pictures).

post some pics, they seemingly speak a thousand words :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

if the nipple is rusted up I'd say the hub and bearings are in bad shape too so give them a good check, you can get a new set of hub and bearing from http://www.indespension.co.uk/index.php in Unit C2 North City Bus Pk North Rd 11 Co. Dublin, it's only about €30 for the set and worth it for the piece of mind, if a bearing is gone bad it can score the inside of the hub and if you just replace the bearings the hub can damage the bearings.
    Good luck

here are some photos - not sure if thats the nipple that the cotter/ split pin snapped either end of and wont pull through or push down...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I don't think you have a nipple on that hub, it looks like one I did up for my boat http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76136230 so it might be a knott or avonride hub.

on the first image there are two green dots then one circle then another circle... that second circular thing had a cotter pin or split pin in through the middle which broke at either end and is now stuck in the middle of what i thougght was the nipple.. hmmm bit lost now tbh

whats that circular rusted shape thing on the second picture?? is that the hub and bearings?

The spring that holds the brake shoe in place at the bottom of the photo goes through the hub back plate and you turn it to lock it in place could that be what your talking about, there is also a nut for adjusting the break shoes that might of had a split pin in it to stop it from turning.

2012-01-20144851-1.jpg

• Advertisement

That is the dust cap, it covers the nut and split pin in the photo above.

This is what it looks like when it's off.

$(KGrHqV,!qEE8WZ9U-wIBPLb-r4u0g~~60_35.JPG

fergal.b wrote: »
    The spring that holds the brake shoe in place at the bottom of the photo goes through the hub back plate and you turn it to lock it in place could that be what your talking about, there is also a nut for adjusting the break shoes that might of had a split pin in it to stop it from turning.

2012-01-20144851-1.jpg

ok cool - so i take the hub cap off and remove the split pin under the cap and inject the grease into it... so that clip at the back of the wheel was a red herring i guess.. the cap at the front looks like its really molded to the ..whatever its called... lol

somehow i think when i take that small cap off the wheel it wont look like the photo..anyway sure we will see

There is nowhere to inject the grease, you just take the pin out unscrew the big nut tap the hub with a mallet and it should come off then clean off all the old grease and force new grease into the new bearings with your hands and into the void between the bearings, I also fill up the dust cap.

Advertisement