Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people begging on the street???

Options
  • 19-09-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

is it me or is there alot of this sort of thing going on at the moment was at the long walk shopping center car park today and was apporached by not one person but two. on sat was walking up joclyen street and was asked for a couple of euro for A CUP OF TEA and have being told of the same thing happening at the car park of aldi and lidl .... is it a sign of the times or people just chanceing there arm???

Comments

It's been going on as long as I can remember, nothing to do with recession or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Theres a guy usually sits at the bus office doing it. He sometimes walks around people waiting on buses, my mam is afraid of her handbag when he does it. Very intimidating tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

One of the guys involved in this has racked up 46 convictions in the District court for this type of offence,the punishments handed down are obviously having the desired effect........

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

They patrol Park St/Earl St in particular for people outside pubs smoking. One of my mates was approched 3 times in one evening. It actually stopped him going out again which may be a good thing ha! Silver lining and all that. Seriously though my mam stopped using the Lidl on the Avenue Rd 'cause of being always hassled for the euro from the trolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

just seen 2 of them hassleing elderly woman out side courthouse in full view of 2 gardi!!!!! scumbags

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

house45 wrote: »
    just seen 2 of them hassleing elderly woman out side courthouse in full view of 2 gardi!!!!! scumbags

And I take it you mentioned to the 2 Gardaí!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

told me that there is nothing that can b done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

You could buy them a cup of tea and a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I gave a guy in the square €2 for a bus, saw him dumping it and other change on an off-licence counter 2 hours later. I should have offered to buy him the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

It's not begging. It's professional begging. Meaning its just people trying to cleverly get money out of people and it should be a crime. Why is it when people who go around door to door collecting money and pretending to be of a charity be treated differently than those who go around pretending to be destitute and in need of money to feed the family? the former is clamped down upon by the Gardai and local newspapers but the latter is ignored.

• Advertisement

house45 wrote: »
    told me that there is nothing that can b done!!

Bull. Begging is against the law and the Gardai all know that.

Bull. Begging is against the law and the Gardai all know that.

Is it? Why?

Is it? Why?

Yes it is. Why? Why do you think? :rolleyes:

It's Illegal when a public nuisance and hassling 2 old women comes under that.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0202/begging.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/1031/1224306807572.html

http://www.loc.gov/lawweb/servlet/lloc_news?disp3_l205402744_text

Yes it is. Why? Why do you think? :rolleyes:

It's Illegal when a public nuisance and hassling 2 old women comes under that.

Ah, I see. I hadn't noticed references to old women being hassled.

At the moment in Ireland there are two kinds of begging: the 'professional' begging referred to and begging by people - sometimes young foreign kids - who are really starving.

Only way I can see of tackling both is to make it a practice to buy food and drink for people begging; at worst they'll throw it away (and be discouraged from begging), at best they'll be fed.

Make no mistake.This is just pure aggressive intimadation from scruffy,smelly tramps who are even barred from homeless shelters and soup kitchens.Have no sympathy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Watch as you dont give up any money but buy a 'coffee', filthy look all round the coffee is dumped move on to the next pleib :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 something fishy going on

Make no mistake.This is just pure aggressive intimadation from scruffy,smelly tramps who are even barred from homeless shelters and soup kitchens.Have no sympathy for them.

I agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

about two months ago i was at the mace shop in collon around 9am and a fella came running up the street to me and said he` no money for breakfast and could i give him a fiver ! -a fiver now ,not a euro:eek:

blingrhino wrote: »
    about two months ago i was at the mace shop in collon around 9am and a fella came running up the street to me and said he` no money for breakfast and could i give him a fiver ! -a fiver now ,not a euro:eek:

Used to be a guy begging in New York whose chant was "Give me fifty dollars, give me fifty dollars" - always made me laugh.

There are some beggars for whom it's an industry, but there are also some who are thrown on the mercy of society. I buy the odd sandwich and soup or sandwich and drink for beggars; if they throw it away I've lost a fiver, but usually when I look back they're lacing into it.

blingrhino wrote: »

A fiv€r is the new 1 €uro.Same as the €50 is the new scor€ ;)

I sound harsh but i have genuine sympathy for these guys.

• Advertisement

I had a begger call to my house this morning looking for change. I guided them to the soup kitchen at St.Patricks and told them to speak to Father Mark or go to the Redemptorist Church they are quite good in there too.

SVP in the town also give money out to those who need it. Its why we as a community donate to them.

Its all there. and I guess if anyone is serious in need they will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I must confess, this statement has been playing on my mind somewhat.

Calling the less fortunate smelly tramps is a bit low tbh. I understand that yes, there are stages of charity in Dundalk provided by certain shelters and I admit being barred from the final stage takes quite a bit of misbehavior however you must also remember that some of these people are either reformed or current drug addicts or in some cases have psychological problems which sometimes get out of control, lead to an outburst of aggression which lands them on their back sides on the streets. Our country does very little to provide for those with mental health problems.

I've also witnessed individuals reform their lives and turn themselves around in shelters and slip back into society paying taxes and living domestic lives but sometimes, just sometimes there are greater mind issues at play preventing them from doing this.

Don't write them off with stereotyped names. Without wanting to come across as an all loving tree hugger, just because somebody isn't all there and can't get the help they need doesn't make them a smelly tramp.

Naturally, I would never condone anybody using intimidation to gain reward but if a request was made from me for change for a cup of tea and I had the time to spare, I'd oblige and hope that should I ever end up in.an unfortunate situation like that, that another kind hearted stranger would look after me too.

Onesimus wrote: »

SVP in the town also give money out to those who need it. Its why we as a community donate to them.

It is very rare that The Society will provide physical tender to a homeless person and its generally discouraged.

They would be best served with a cup of tea, sandwich and some toothpaste and soap. Unless the Society have changed their way of thinking I would imagine this practice is still the same.

MugMugs wrote: »

Calling the less fortunate smelly tramps is a bit low tbh. I understand that yes, there are stages of charity in Dundalk provided by certain shelters and I admit being barred from the final stage takes quite a bit of misbehavior however you must also remember that some of these people are either reformed or current drug addicts or in some cases have psychological problems which sometimes get out of control, lead to an outburst of aggression which lands them on their back sides on the streets. Our country does very little to provide for those with mental health problems.

I've also witnessed individuals reform their lives and turn themselves around in shelters and slip back into society paying taxes and living domestic lives but sometimes, just sometimes there are greater mind issues at play preventing them from doing this.

Don't write them off with stereotyped names. Without wanting to come across as an all loving tree hugger, just because somebody isn't all there and can't get the help they need doesn't make them a smelly tramp.

Naturally, I would never condone anybody using intimidation to gain reward but if a request was made from me for change for a cup of tea and I had the time to spare, I'd oblige and hope that should I ever end up in.an unfortunate situation like that, that another kind hearted stranger would look after me too.

Well said. Very well said. Repaying evil in exchange for another evil does not provide a cure at all.

I thought SVP handed out dosh but I think there is some kind of thing they have in which you fill out a form if your struggling to pay bills or get food and then they do that for you or at least contribute in some way but without the exchange of cash.

Onesimus wrote: »
    Well said. Very well said. Repaying evil in exchange for another evil does not provide a cure at all.

I thought SVP handed out dosh but I think there is some kind of thing they have in which you fill out a form if your struggling to pay bills or get food and then they do that for you or at least contribute in some way but without the exchange of cash.

SVP are pretty easily swindled for cash, see it time and time again. They seem to spend quite a bit in winter on filling oil tanks and the like.

New plan deployed by the gruesome twosome tonight.
    One outside Lidl and one at the(very dark at night) pass that leads back to the Old shopping centre car park.Intimidation of the highest order !! (yea rang gards)

Rale,loike,nice ;) Good luck with that

Rale,loike,nice ;) Good luck with that

I've never had issue with your posting style or comments in the past. In fact, I've agreed with and liked a lot of what you've put up. The above however is a bit disappointing and merely supports the view that you are throwing out stereotypes and have put no thought into what you said..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Would never lump people who are unfortunate enough to end up begging on the streets into one singular category but had the misfortune of being tapped for money and then seeing one particular person getting into a really nice motor in the car pk up the road . FFS the car was newer than mine ! Organised begging is a load me arse ...

• Advertisement

I've never had issue with your posting style or comments in the past. In fact, I've agreed with and liked a lot of what you've put up. The above however is a bit disappointing and merely supports the view that you are throwing out stereotypes and have put no thought into what you said..... :confused:

I explained my point of view and i will not fall into the trap of agreeing with "nice touchy loved up" points on Boards.You stand over there>>>>>>>>> with your points and i stand over here <<<<<<<<<<<< with mine and thats grand for me.Call it stereotyping if you like,this is how i'm calling it.

Advertisement