Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burned Cake - advice needed

Options
  • 19-09-2012 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a kitchen emergency. I promised to bake a light fruit cake for someone, so I used an old recipe which always turned out well. Unfortunately I haven't baked this recipe for several years and the oven I have now is different and has burned the cake even though I baked it exactly as before. I had written the temp. and time on the page in the book. I now have to bake another cake tonight. Would be grateful if someone could give me advice. I have a fan oven and I baked at 150ºC for 2½hrs in 8" sq. tin. What do I change the temp and/or time to? These are the ingreds. (sorry, I still work in lbs & ozs.)

12 oz dried fruit
    2 oz glace cherries
    2 oz mixed peel
    8 oz butter/marg
    9 oz c.sugar
    5 eggs
    10 oz P.Flour
    2 oz. S.R.Flour
    Milk as required for dropping consistency.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This is a bit of a kitchen emergency. I promised to bake a light fruit cake for someone, so I used an old recipe which always turned out well. Unfortunately I haven't baked this recipe for several years and the oven I have now is different and has burned the cake even though I baked it exactly as before. I had written the temp. and time on the page in the book. I now have to bake another cake tonight. Would be grateful if someone could give me advice. I have a fan oven and I baked at 150ºC for 2½hrs in 8" sq. tin. What do I change the temp and/or time to? These are the ingreds. (sorry, I still work in lbs & ozs.)

12 oz dried fruit
    2 oz glace cherries
    2 oz mixed peel
    8 oz butter/marg
    9 oz c.sugar
    5 eggs
    10 oz P.Flour
    2 oz. S.R.Flour
    Milk as required for dropping consistency.

I would drop the temperature down to 140c and bake for 2 1/4 hours and cover the cake with brown paper for the first 2 hours. check and remove the brown paper I would also have a cake tester/ skewer/ knitting needle handy and test it after 2 hours if it comes out clean your sorted

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I second the use of brown paper. You can also put it around the tin and secure it with string.
    I'll move this thread to the Cake & Pie forum, you might get more advice in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Always knock about 10degrees Celsius off a temperature when swapping to a fan oven... paper sleeve around the cake tin as above or if you think it's cooking on top too quick put a damp greaseproof disc on top. . Good luck ... Don't chuck out the burnt cake..( Unless it's completely goosed) trim it right back ... Ice the top if you need ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks all, will try 140c for 2 1/4 hours as suggested. Forgot to say that I had popped a double sheet of brown paper on top of the cake after half an hour but will add the collar around it too this time. Yes, and I also did the test but it was too late at that stage, rigor mortis had already set in. The disaster will be eaten by my beloved hubby as he cares not a jot if it is burned as he is a fruitcakeaholic! :) I remember this cake being a lovely light or 'white' fruit cake and quite moist after a couple of weeks storing. Pity old recipes don't transfer to new ovens easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Just reporting back. Thankfully the second cake turned out much better, thanks to the advice from everyone here. This oven is obviously much hotter than it should be. Happy bunnies all round! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement