Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NY priceline, Shopping and more

Options
  • 19-09-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

So going on a trip to Vegas and NY, seem to have Vegas kinda planned. Couple of questions about NY.

1) Has anyone had a good experience with Hotwire/ Priceline for NY Hotels?
    2) Any inexpensive shopping advice?
    3) These NY passes, are they worth buying just in general cos I know it depends how much you use it, but has anyone got one and felt it was worthwhile
    4) Any nice/quirky bars restaurants with nice views or anything you would recommend, again just inexpesive places

Thanks we have 4 days in NY so any suggestiuons at all are welcome

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I use Hotwire and Priceline almost exclusively when travelling to the US. There is great value to be had. The three top tips I can give you are
    1. Research your areas, know where you want to stay
    2. Never go below 4 stars
    3. Use www.betterbidding.com to get tips on bidding strategy and to help identify hotels

With such a short time in NY I wouldn't recommend a trip to the outlets. Head down to Union Square instead and check out Filenes, TJ Maxx and DSW. All regular stores have sales sections too and in Macys take your passport to the visitors centre for a 10% discount card.

My favourite quirky place to eat is Vynl in Hells Kitchen. Great food, good prices and amazing bathrooms...try to visit each one ;)

I've never found those passes to be good value, depends on what you want to see in your short time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭clionaricho

Athtrasna. Many thanks for all the advice, will definetly try alot of that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

athtrasna wrote: »
    I use Hotwire and Priceline almost exclusively when travelling to the US. There is great value to be had. The three top tips I can give you are
    1. Research your areas, know where you want to stay
    2. Never go below 4 stars
    3. Use www.betterbidding.com to get tips on bidding strategy and to help identify hotels

I agree with this. Have used both sites several times and have no real complaints. Let me add a 4th tip. Priceline bookings have a reputations for being assigned the least attractive rooms in the hotel. There will be nothing majorly wrong with them, but they may be smaller than other rooms, may have smaller windows, may be rather dark as your room has the wall of another building right beside it, or it may over look the car park as opposed to having a nice street view. Things like that. So if there is a feature of your room that you don't like, pop down to the front desk and ask if they have anything else available. Very often they will.

Advertisement