Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It's not run by Digiweb, it's run by Distilled Media.
    Our running costs are north of 50k a month and we have a policy of removing audio-based ads.

Just to bring some data to the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

DeVore wrote: »
    Our running costs are north of 50k a month and we have a policy of removing audio-based ads.

600k a year, not really all that much in the grand scheme of things, but for an Irish website that is pretty huge.

I fcuking hate that turkey Island ad, but it's not like Nicola hasn't been trying to nuke it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

DeVore wrote: »

€50k a month? ****e balls!!
    Didn't think it was as high as that. Sure a few €k, but that much. My lack of knowledge with the industry is astounding :-/
    Does that include all associated labour costs and management fees?

Makes me rethink about renewing my long over due subscription.

Edit:
    I still hate the touch site adverts though :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We have a lot of people, 3 working in the community management area alone. 3-4 in IT, a couple in Sales, a couple of managers. Those people don't eat air, nor do their landlords take "the free interchange of ideas" as a form of currency :)

Then add in office space, light, heat, rent, rates, tax, computers, bandwidth, servers (20+ of them), server space etc etc etc.

I dont want to give out numbers, but i'll point out that I said "north of 50k". If anyone wants to find any excess in this by all means pleeeeeaaase do, we could always do with some savings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I fcuking hate that turkey Island ad, but it's not like Nicola hasn't been trying to nuke it.

And I really have, it is driving me absolutely nuts-since the audio ads have started appearing I've been browsing with audio and I've gotten it a few times.

Audio ads are a serious personal bug bear of mine and Turkey Island is a particularly sneaky one, every time we block it (5 attempts so far) it comes back under a different URL. The same thing happened with the Concern one, blocked and then it reappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tallon wrote: »
    How is that relevant?

I said loads of sites, mine was just an example

I notice you have an ad for 'The F1 Pad' on your site along with a paypal donation ad.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

The ads mid-thread are annoying, but I accept that it's necessary for the running of boards. I'd rather have boards running well with ads, than boards crawling along ad free.

That and I felt guilty with ad-block on :o.

Once they keep the audio ads to a minimum I don't mind.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

mloc123 wrote: »
    I notice you have an ad for 'The F1 Pad' on your site along with a paypal donation ad.
    The F1 pad being a boards.ie's site that I put there to help him get his forum off the ground!

And the paypal because It was asked by the users to be put there!

Also, they are both on the Homepage ONLY!

They're not random google ads, and they're definitely not Audio!

The F1 pad being a boards.ie's site that I put there to help him get his forum off the ground!

They're not random google ads, and they're definitely not Audio!

An ad is an ad :)

An ad is an ad :)
    Tell that to the guys complaining about audio and flash ads..

• Advertisement

Tell that to the guys complaining about audio and flash ads..

But you are one of the people complaining?

I just find it pretty amusing that you will complain about ads on here but have no issue with having ads on your own site and YouTube uploads.

Glass houses etc..

But you are one of the people complaining?

I just find it pretty amusing that you will complain about ads on here but have no issue with having ads on your own site and YouTube uploads.

Glass houses etc..
    Already explained, if you bothered reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The odd time theres an attempt to keep me prisoner on a page in that I can't hit the backarrow on my browser (IE9) as it just stays on the page.
    When I look at the drop down of pages visited the last couple of dozen will be the same google ad, its as if the ad is going into a loop.
    (Obviously I can get off the page by clicking the menu choices at the top, so its not critical, but thought you might want to ad it :cool: to the problem list)

FWIW its happened to me just now with the Sky Ad which is appearing sometimes in the 'economic reality check' thread in this forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1196

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You also have a big massive DONATE button on every one of your posts, underneath them, in your signature. You've got, what 10% of the total postcount on that forum? Therefore, your DONATE button is on every 10th post. I'm not trying to lessen the point you're making in this thread, I'm just pointing out a similarity here.

Here's hoping that the root of the audio ads is found, and stopped, hate them. Not just because of the audio, but like the video ads, it's yet another thing downloading, taking away my bandwidth without me asking for it.

Gordon wrote: »
    You also have a big massive DONATE button on every one of your posts, underneath them, in your signature. You've got, what 10% of the total postcount on that forum? Therefore, your DONATE button is on every 10th post. I'm not trying to lessen the point you're making in this thread, I'm just pointing out a similarity here.

Here's hoping that the root of the audio ads is found, and stopped, hate them. Not just because of the audio, but like the video ads, it's yet another thing downloading, taking away my bandwidth without me asking for it.
    As I said Gordon, that was requested by the users!

Even as it is, I still always get 'I cannot find out how to donate'

Anyway, every single time boards mentions upgrades to the site or ads, donating / subscribing is brought into it!

A donate button is a totally different discussion, it's not an 'ad'

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Anyway, every single time boards mentions upgrades to the site or ads, donating / subscribing is brought into it!

Tal, you are a hypocrite in this sense. Do you think it would look better if instead of ads boards had "donate" buttons every 10 posts or so?

If they were in line or whatever it might look OK, but you've yours centered which draw the eyes away from posts on the left. You can argue that your users asked for it, but really, it holds little water. And I can make that argument invalid and in fact I will.

DaV, I don't have money to subscribe to boards, but would like to somehow contribute to the forums slush fund for the Xmas hookers. Can you enable 4 more ads per page and I'll disable all adblocking software. Can you also put a few pop ups in?

Now, I've asked for these things, how many more posters do I need to get to ask before it becomes OK to have them?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You said it was only on the front page.

What precise number of users requested you put a big donate ad on every tenth post? I'm just wanting to get an idea of what percentage of users' acceptance gives you the go ahead. We're there more than 15 people that wanted this button on all of your posts?

I stopped counting after about 30 people...

Anyway, going around in circles with the same answers over and over!

My site was one example, there are many more

Anyway, thanks for the site traffic over the past couple of days :)

/unfollows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Gordon wrote: »
    What precise number of users requested you put a big donate ad on every tenth post?

All of them, I'd say. You know how users always ask to pay for services they already get for free. No doubt they were chomping at the bit. "We need more donate buttons," they cry. "Please, please. And make them as obtrusive as possible."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a fair point as I can guarantee many who use this site are not even aware that there is a subscription option. Talking from personal experience here. I think there is scope for making the subscription a bit more prominent.

Also what is it with the dating site ads? I am specifically getting Arab and Muslim dating sites popping up in my banner ads. For those who think it is based on browsing history I can assure them that is impossible as I am on my work computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is a fair point as I can guarantee many who use this site are not even aware that there is a subscription option. Talking from personal experience here. I think there is scope for making the subscription a bit more prominent.

Also what is it with the dating site ads? I am specifically getting Arab and Muslim dating sites popping up in my banner ads. For those who think it is based on browsing history I can assure them that is impossible as I am on my work computer.
    I've been getting them too and again it can't be anything to do with my browsing history. If I see them again I'll try to get a link or screenshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Is there any possibility that the mid page add could be moved to the top or bottom as an extra add there? I just find it really annoying... the others... not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

ads for cheap cigerattes and now cougarlife.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

We're going to be removing the mid-page ad for logged in users within the next day or two. It'll still be there for logged out people along with another - we can balance our inventory that way (still serving the same number of ads) whilst making it a lot less intrusive for our members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Dav wrote: »
    We're going to be removing the mid-page ad for logged in users within the next day or two. It'll still be there for logged out people along with another - we can balance our inventory that way (still serving the same number of ads) whilst making it a lot less intrusive for our members.
    Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That thing at the top of the page is seriously annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Dav wrote: »

So back to the way it was previously. It was always a bad decision to introduce it.

Why the turnaround? I thought it was "essential to the business"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Banner ads on top of the page is making Boards unworkable on IPad. It's covering the My Forums and My Threads links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Banner ads on top of the page is making Boards unworkable on IPad. It's covering the My Forums and My Threads links.

+1

I can't click on the pages numbers without hitting the ad instead.

Advertisement