Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

This ad is a bit much?

Screenshot2013-02-21at000245.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    This ad is a bit much?

Screenshot2013-02-21at000245.png

Way too much, really getting on my nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Was just about to post a screenshot. Yeah, that ain't kosher. Red Bull isn't even tasty ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Post the url, it'll help them get rid of it quicker

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm getting that too, and I generally don't see ads, so something weird about that one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm getting that too, and I generally don't see ads, so something weird about that one.

It's a serious pain block off the top five/ten topics?

Looks like a testing screwup tbh, or someone going mad with code and not going through an authorised change process.

There's no obvious link being a Flash thingy. It leads here, if that helps: http://www.redbull.ie/cs/Satellite/en_IE/Red-Bull-Ireland/001242758644856

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

MarkMc wrote: »
    Post the url, it'll help them get rid of it quicker

www.boards.ie

Wtf is this **** ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sarky wrote: »
    There's no obvious link being a Flash thingy. It leads here, if that helps: http://www.redbull.ie/cs/Satellite/en_IE/Red-Bull-Ireland/001242758644856
    I'm pretty sure thats what they need :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

Looks like the campaign got through vetting somehow. I've pulled the slot for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hi there folks, there's been something of a slip up here.

As we've said before, we try to make ads as non-intrusive as possible and have guidelines for advertisers which include rules around sound, file sizes and rich media content. For rich media content ads we endeavour to only book ads that are user initiated, i.e. they require a click (not a mouse-over) to expand, play or make sound. We've done this sort of thing before with ads that play film trailers and so on.

The Red Bull ad mentioned above slipped through the net, as it's an ad which doesn't require user initiation. Our sales team have committed to running this ad for Red Bull and we're unfortunately unable to change the creative. The ad will therefore run for a day on our homepage, as per our agreement with Red Bull, for logged out users only.

Our policy remains that we do not accept rich media ads unless they require user initiation. That said, the world of online display advertising changes exceptionally quickly and we're seeing more ads coming through that don't require user initiation, so we may have no choice but to revisit this policy in the future.

For the moment though, all we can do is say that we messed up in booking this ad and we realise that it goes against what we said we'd do previously. We'll try our best not to let it happen again.

OUTRAEG WAT DO WE PAY TEH ADMINS FOR ETC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Looks like the campaign got through vetting somehow. I've pulled the slot for now.

jasper.jpg

Dav wrote: »

As we've said before, we try to make ads as non-intrusive as possible and have guidelines for advertisers which include rules around sound, file sizes and rich media content. For rich media content ads we endeavour to only book ads that are user initiated, i.e. they require a click (not a mouse-over) to expand, play or make sound. We've done this sort of thing before with ads that play film trailers and so on.

The Red Bull ad mentioned above slipped through the net, as it's an ad which doesn't require user initiation. Our sales team have committed to running this ad for Red Bull and we're unfortunately unable to change the creative. The ad will therefore run for a day on our homepage, as per our agreement with Red Bull, for logged out users only.

Our policy remains that we do not accept rich media ads unless they require user initiation. That said, the world of online display advertising changes exceptionally quickly and we're seeing more ads coming through that don't require user initiation, so we may have no choice but to revisit this policy in the future.

For the moment though, all we can do is say that we messed up in booking this ad and we realise that it goes against what we said we'd do previously. We'll try our best not to let it happen again.

And tonight it's an an from Liberty hopping over the top of the screen.
    Is there a glitch in the code that has led to two such ads two days in a row after midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

now theres an ad for lotto doing the same thing, why have any ads that block use of the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

now theres an ad for lotto doing the same thing, why have any ads that block use of the site?

Ah - just spotted this, was wondering why the lotto popped up on my home page in an odd spot. I'd just updated stuff on my laptop and thought I'd fecked up. Aye Lotto popped up similar to what was apparently happening with the RedBull one in a screenshot above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Someone tell Jasper to go get the paddle again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Thanks guys, we've sent this on to be sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

We've been playing around with various options and configurations for banner ads on the site for the last few months and it looks like we may be trying something new again shortly. Before that, I want to take an opportunity to explain why we keep coming back to this and what it means for us.

Over the last 18 months, the market for display advertising (banners) has gone through some major changes. There's a distinct move away from "traditional" advertising formats and sizes (i.e. MPU banners and leaderboards), towards both media-rich ads and different sized ad units. This shift means that we no longer earn as much from our banner inventory as we used to, and as I've said before banners are responsible for the majority of our income. We've explained all this before, but it bears repeating again for anyone who missed it. The long and the short of it is that the site, and future site development, needs to be able to pay for itself and this is proving more and more difficult with our existing ad units.

We're now in a position where we have to explore other sorts of ads that we'd previously decided not to implement, including the bigger leaderboards you'll have seen on our homepage in the last few months, and our various configurations of placements (which are still something of a work in progress). That brings us to today where we're going to try out another type of ad on the main site, "Sky Scrapers". They appear along the edge of a page and you'll have seen them on our search results. They don't interfere with content, but are visible along side it. See this screen-shot for an idea of what I mean.

243886.png

We've been asked if we can implement these by the various agencies who book ads with us and we have decided to try them out and see how they do. We're likely to see the first batch of them rolling out over the next month or two.

As always, we try not to accept ads that make noise without your interaction or start taking control of your page or anything like that - but sometimes they slip through when we use services like Google AdWords to fill spare inventory, so if you can report them, it's a huge help to us.

Thanks very much everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So an ad at the top, the bottom AND the side of the page now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Only when browsing boards logged out afaik. I never see any ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

seamus wrote: »
    Only when browsing boards logged out afaik. I never see any ads.

Do you have adblock on? I'm logged in and see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nope, using chrome with no adblocker installed.

Maybe my account is still marked as a subscriber...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Roll on the side ads. Don't see banners as I subscribe, but I've always found the little Adverts.ie ad on the side of the homepage to be very un-intrusive, so ball on with those if it'll help make more money. :)

EDIT: Actually, maybe Dav or one of the Dev team could tell me what'll happen if a user is using full width mode? Will the ad just slot in and push everything left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I'm looking at the site on an ipad using chrome. The banner at the top of the page isn't working properly. When I try to access a forum via the drop-down menu, the banner stays sitting across the text. The only way I could get here was to hit the Sys link at the top and then wait for the forums to load on the page underneath the banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

cymbaline wrote: »
    I'm looking at the site on an ipad using chrome. The banner at the top of the page isn't working properly. When I try to access a forum via the drop-down menu, the banner stays sitting across the text. The only way I could get here was to hit the Sys link at the top and then wait for the forums to load on the page underneath the banner.
    As always, we try not to accept ads that make noise without your interaction or start taking control of your page or anything like that - but sometimes they slip through when we use services like Google AdWords to fill spare inventory, so if you can report them, it's a huge help to us

Click the link, report the ad :)

Advertisement