Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Otacon wrote: »
    Does your browser have an ad-blocker installed?

I use an unadulterated version of IE8 in work, and Google Chrome with no add-ons at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

There are no ads mobile browsing on a windows phone, just big blank gaps at the bottom of every page. Will this be permanent, or will there be ads very soon? I don't mind, just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dav wrote: »

We're looking at a small change in the layout which may mean that we take the ads from after post 1 and 9 and put them at the top and bottom of all posts as suggested above. I like this idea myself as it means that you have an uninterrupted flow of all the actual page content and whilst you'll see an ad at the top, you won't see another till the bottom of the page.

Excellent. The ads between posts have a very discordant effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Is it me or did the quick reply box change?
    It used to be in the middle of the page at the bottom of a thread. Even with adblock on or off the banner ad area at the bottom is still there so it shoves the box to the left.

Is this supposed to be like that?
    Just to add, I checked it with cosy mode of/off and the same with full width mode. This is on chrome, BTW with no extensions/addson enabled.

Des wrote: »
    I use an unadulterated version of IE8 in work, and Google Chrome with no add-ons at home.

Might be worth asking in Site Development to see if there's anything they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It appears quick reply is told to be on the left, so an ad can be on the right. Danny had mentioned elswhere (can't seem to find it) that he's gonna see if it can be centred again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

It appears quick reply is told to be on the left, so an ad can be on the right. Danny had mentioned elswhere (can't seem to find it) that he's gonna see if it can be centred again.

You rang? :)

Yes, I'll be looking at this again this afternoon. If you are subscriber with ads turned off we'll try make it so your QR box is not shoved off to the left :) If you're using Adblock then you're on your own - also please re-read Dav's post again :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you're subscribed and have ads turned off, they still show up on search pages, e.g. http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Re-introduction+of+Banner+Ads

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

You rang? :)

Yes, I'll be looking at this again this afternoon. If you are subscriber with ads turned off we'll try make it so your QR box is not shoved off to the left :) If you're using Adblock then you're on your own - also please re-read Dav's post again :)

Danny

This should be resolved now :)

Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Boards.ie: Rónán

28064212 wrote: »
    If you're subscribed and have ads turned off, they still show up on search pages, e.g. http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Re-introduction+of+Banner+Ads

We'll get this sorted, thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

What I'm not seeing though, are ads.

Did you get sorted Des? I'm in the same boat. I had Ad block running which I've now disabled and cleared my cache just in case but I'm still not seeing Ads. My setting in "edit options" are set to leave 'em.

Neilos wrote: »
    Did you get sorted Des?

nope

We'll get this sorted, thanks for the heads up.

Should be sorted now, no ads in search results for subscribers :)

Did you get sorted Des? I'm in the same boat. I had Ad block running which I've now disabled and cleared my cache just in case but I'm still not seeing Ads. My setting in "edit options" are set to leave 'em.

You can tell if you're supposed to be getting ads because the QR message box will be shoved off to the left of the Quick Reply box with an empty space to the right where the ad is supposed to be.

If this isn't happening then the fault is ours but I've checked your settings and everything seems to be fine.

Here's my QR box

221385.JPG

I can definitively tell you that I do not now, nor ever have, run any kind of ad-block softrware

Yeah, the gap on the right means we are detecting that you have ads enabled, so I'm not sure why the ad isn't being displayed for you.

Can you try another browser?

Yeah, the gap on the right means we are detecting that you have ads enabled, so I'm not sure why the ad isn't being displayed for you.

not right now, sorry, work computers are locked down.

Will try later.

It could be work doing that^^ But earlier this morning when I was at home, I was seeing no ads either - that was on Chrome, that screenshot is IE8 in work. I can see ads on other websites, here in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dav wrote: »
    ...think of ideas and add them to our mental list.
    Anyone else picturing Danny with a load of post-it notes stuck to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Wheres the "top" button gone which was usually on the bottom of a tread on the right hand side? Also the forum list (EG: Home Sys >Feedback >Re-introduction of Banner Ads) is gone from the bottom left. I'm lazy and dont like having to scroll to the top!

• Advertisement

xtradel wrote: »
    Wheres the "top" button gone which was usually on the bottom of a tread on the right hand side? Also the forum list (EG: Home Sys >Feedback >Re-introduction of Banner Ads) is gone from the bottom left. I'm lazy and dont like having to scroll to the top!

you don't have to scroll, it stays in place at the top of the thread.

Gone also. It's not a bug. It was intentionally removed.

He's on about it at the bottom. It used to be beneath the quick reply box (or above it).

Seems to be a browser issue for me. I'm getting Ads in safari but not in chrome. Ad block was installed but I've deleted it entirely and cleared my cache.

He's on about it at the bottom. It used to be beneath the quick reply box (or above it).

I know, but it doesn't disappear from the top now, even when you are at the bottom of a thread, you just have to look top left, and the crumbs are there.

there is no need for them at the bottom any more.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Anyone else picturing Danny with a load of post-it notes stuck to him?

Nah, that's not my domain :p
    Gone also. It's not a bug. It was intentionally removed.

Brutal Deluxe is right but along with Prev/Next Thread it's looking at making a comeback :)

Unless the sticky header was disabled, which ~300 people have done.
    Seems to be a browser issue for me. I'm getting Ads in safari but not in chrome. Ad block was installed but I've deleted it entirely and cleared my cache.

Chrome Ads are working fine for us - it being our biggest browser I think the moneyminders would notice a severe drop in ad impressions if it were a widespread problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Could the 'Sticky Header' be made to have a 'Sticky Footer' mode?
    Might be of use to those who miss the breadcrumb at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

For being on the site 10 years, you've never once thought to put your hand in your pocket and give them some money.

Actually I have, hence my custom avatar. So yes my money has into the site at some point (albeit not that much).

It just feels like greed. Ads for the guest. Ads for the registered users. Don't want ads? Then pay us to become a subscriber.

EDIT: Just to add. I know boards.ie needs ads for revenue to cope with the increased traffic but embedding them in every thread and thread list is not the way to do it IMO.

Chrome Ads are working fine for us - it being our biggest browser I think the moneyminders would notice a severe drop in ad impressions if it were a widespread problem :)

Yeah it's definitely on my end. YouTube is doing the same.

quarryman wrote: »
    Actually I have, hence my custom avatar. So yes my money has into the site at some point (albeit not that much).

It just feels like greed. Ads for the guest. Ads for the registered users. Don't want ads? Then pay us to become a subscriber.

It's not really greed. I'd say Boards is usually one of the few places I'd feel guilty about using an adblocker.
    Compared to some places, it's barely an annoyance (at best) with adds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭catch.23

Unless the sticky header was disabled, which ~300 people have done.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but working off a 10'' netbook screen means that if I have the sticky header, the site is pretty much unusable. The missing breadcrumbs are an inconvenience for me so! I understand not many people disabled the header, but even still it's only one line of text at the bottom of the page!

Advertisement