Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

quarryman wrote: »
    Actually I have, hence my custom avatar. So yes my money has into the site at some point (albeit not that much).

It just feels like greed. Ads for the guest. Ads for the registered users. Don't want ads? Then pay us to become a subscriber.

I don't see it as greed, Boards.ie is a business at the end of the day and they have to pay peoples wages and pay the expenses in running a site of this size. I'm more than happy to pay a subscription fee and enable ads if it keeps this site up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

People complaining about ads on a free site are lol.

Especially when that free site is the best at what it does in the country.

The sense of entitlement isn't really shocking though, which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Des wrote: »
    People complaining about ads on a free site are lol.

I'm not complaining about the presence of ads Des, read my post. I disagree with how they're implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm not complaining about the presence of ads Des, read my post. I'm disagree with how they're implemented.

Well how would you change them?
    I'd probably drop adblock if I could stop the ones with videos or moving images. They just bother me/hurt my eyes by grabbing my attention when I'm trying to read/post in a topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I love browsing the prison forum but might have to stop as i nearly cracked a rib laughing when the following ad showed up at the bottom of a thread.
    Untitled_zpsfe0d0ca0.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

For subs with Ad's disabled, there is still the blue bar saying "Advertisement" which isn't anything much, but I can see it getting a bit irritating, is this going to be permanent, or just something that will be ironed out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I think the change in policy is entirely justified. Given how small the site is, relative to the likes of Google, it's easy to see the direct and positive effect of the revenue you generate. Projects like re-doing all the forum software will benefit us all, so I find arguments about greed pretty hard to understand, in this instance.

I'd also like to support the "Subscribe to remove these ads" model that's now developed itself. This is the primary revenue model of Wolfram|Alpha and a number of other sites. To be honest, I hadn't thought of subscribing before (mainly because I'm a student and so a bit tight) but, psychologically, I'm much more encouraged now. By tying subscribing to removing ads it for some reason makes the link between new site features and giving Boards.ie money much stronger - an in-your-face-reminder of how you need cash to keep it going. Might you consider following Wolfram|Alpha's setup, and placing a little notice under ads "subscribe to hide these"?

(Just be sure you don't show that message to unregistered users, as they might confuse signing up with subscribing and so think that these are paid forums.)

You could even create a SubscriberLite™ option (!), for €20 a year or something smaller, which only hid the ads and didn't contain the other goodies. Just a thought.

Don't mods get all the subscription features?

+1 one on Eliot's SubscriberLite idea.
    Don't mods get all the subscription features?

No, not all of the features, though we do get some: custom avatars and access to the Sex and Sexuality forum, to name two. Other additional features — such as the ability to remove ads, access the subscribers' lounge, and a having a custom tag-line — are reserved for subscribers only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I really miss the breadcrumbs from the bottom of the page. I don't use the sticky header.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Couple of questions.

1. I'm a subscriber, have been for years. It costs €50 per year to subscribe - if I stopped subscribing and continued to use Boards at my current level, with ads turned back on, would Boards break even on me, be down money on me, or be up money?

2. Does Boards get paid for every ad shown, or does a user have to click on the ads? (if that's a stupid question, then sorry).

Interesting question.
    I'd love to know the answer. Would Boards be better off trying to get more subscribers. A better product for less than a euro a week seems fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

BOHtox wrote: »
    Interesting question.
    I'd love to know the answer. Would Boards be better off trying to get more subscribers. A better product for less than a euro a week seems fair.
    I think boards is a great resource as it is, that's why I subscribe. I've gotten far more from this site than I could ever give back, if there were no extra features for subscribing I would still do it. That doesn't mean that I think people should be 'forced' into subscribing, it should be their own personal choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I'd sub flying only for I can't be arsed setting up paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Such a shame AdBlock always does a half-assed job with removing the between-posts ads sine it doesn't remove the containers... And I'll need to get Stylish to reposition the QR back to the centre...

As much as I'd want to turn AdBlock off for boards, it's guilty until proven innocent and from what I've seen in the bad ad reporting thread, that won't change anytime soon :/

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Such a shame AdBlock always does a half-assed job with removing the between-posts ads sine it doesn't remove the containers... And I'll need to get Stylish to reposition the QR back to the centre...

As much as I'd want to turn AdBlock off for boards, it's guilty until proven innocent and from what I've seen in the bad ad reporting thread, that won't change anytime soon :/

You can technically turn it off. I have adblock plus and adblock (both on chrome) and I was able to block them. I think it's adblock plus you need and you block a frame.

And yes, I feel horrible too but the bloody moving adds hurt my eyes so it's either having my eyes hurt when reading/typing or else blocking the adds. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You can technically turn it off. I have adblock plus and adblock (both on chrome) and I was able to block them. I think it's adblock plus you need and you block a frame.

And yes, I feel horrible too but the bloody moving adds hurt my eyes so it's either having my eyes hurt when reading/typing or else blocking the adds. :o

Or you could always support boards by subscribing and change that horrible feeling to a feeling of deep inner peace :p

Or you could always support boards by subscribing and change that horrible feeling to a feeling of deep inner peace :p

I had a bad experience with paypal once (I lost something like 9 euro) and they refused to refund it.
    I know, I'm a bitter fecker but well, there you go. I'd gladly grab a debit card from the bank or something if Boards were to support other methods.

But I feel that when I get banned, I'll be able to use "if I subscribe can I be unbanned please?" :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

But I feel that when I get banned, I'll be able to use "if I subscribe can I be unbanned please?" :D

I seem to remember someone trying that not so long ago. If you ever get banned you can have a chat with them in Prison about how that worked out for them. :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it possible to give boards some random amount of guilt money rather than subscribing? I'm never going to turn off ad-block but if you need some cash I'll give you 20 quid a year via paypal. Or does that mess with accounts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

If you get paid for ad impressions rather than clicks, do the ads on the mObile site need to be so big? See that capital o there? That's due to my finger slipping and me hitting the giant ad that's taking up most of my screen real estate as i try to type this response on my phone :(. Theyre extremely intrusive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is it possible to give boards some random amount of guilt money rather than subscribing? I'm never going to turn off ad-block but if you need some cash I'll give you 20 quid a year via paypal. Or does that mess with accounts?
    Why not just subscribe? Or if you think €50 a year is too much, subscribe for 2*3 month periods for 6 months on, 6 months off?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

No ads for me thank fcuk...

Bwaaahhhhhhhh

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

28064212 wrote: »
    Why not just subscribe? Or if you think €50 a year is too much, subscribe for 2*3 month periods for 6 months on, 6 months off?

I suppose that could work. Where's the subscriber link again?

Edit: re-read the OP and realised 'at the end of this thread' was a link to another thread :o

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/payments.php

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I suppose that could work. Where's the subscriber link again?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/payments.php

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Faith wrote: »
    If you get paid for ad impressions rather than clicks, do the ads on the mObile site need to be so big? See that capital o there? That's due to my finger slipping and me hitting the giant ad that's taking up most of my screen real estate as i try to type this response on my phone :(. Theyre extremely intrusive.

Mods dont get ads afaik. Have you turned off ads on your user cp???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

-Corkie- wrote: »

I think we still get them on the touch site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

-Corkie- wrote: »

Mods get ads. On the desktop site they do not get inline-thread ads. On touch, no such provisions are made.

Subscribers have the option to turn off ads, then they don't see any on touch or desktop.

Danny

Penn wrote: »
    I think we still get them on the touch site.

That touch site is impossible to use anyway especially for mod tools. I use the full site always even on moblie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

not right now, sorry, work computers are locked down.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Orion wrote: »

lockdown = locked the fúck down

how do you suggest I get FFP onto the laptop? USB? locked down. download it? site locked out. email it to myself? no attachments allowed.

Advertisement