Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Des wrote: »
    lockdown = locked the fúck down

how do you suggest I get FFP onto the laptop? USB? locked down. download it? site locked out. email it to myself? no attachments allowed.

NetSec, if the staff are miserable then they're doing something right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

how do you suggest I get FFP onto the laptop? USB? locked down. download it? site locked out. email it to myself? no attachments allowed.
    Put it on a USB stick on another computer. Then place the stick and the work laptop into a basin of water and let osmosis do its work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Orion wrote: »

Sideload it to your own domain if you have one and pull it from there. Where there's a restriction there's a workaround

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nope, it's alright, I want to keep my job, thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Nope, it's alright, I want to keep my job, thanks anyway.

I couldn't care less about the goings on with ads etc, most of my browsing is done on mobile now, I just wanted to say that never has an avatar been more apt ya grumpy git Des :D:D

• Advertisement

Regarding the touch site recently on my android phone it's been an irritation that when going to a thread from a notification email it loads the page, then stops for about 30 seconds or more - I can browse maybe the first 5 posts on a thread for those 30 seconds. Eventually it loads the rest and I can read the rest of the thread. After reading this thread I realised that it was probably about the same time that the massive ad started at the bottom of the page. To test this theory I installed adfree android - now the page loads instantly - no waiting for components to load. Can this be looked into? I have a Galaxy S running a Gingerbread custom rom and I've tested this on Dolphin, Opera and the stock browser. I do most of my boardieing on the laptop or work pc with no adblocking software installed and it's fine - this is purely on the touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Orion, could it be the video?
    I noticed a few times that the bottom add (by the quick reply box) was a video a few times so I had to use adblock again to stop it.

A video would probably take a while to load on a mobile, no?

Over 3g yes but over wifi it shouldn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The ads are causing Chrome, for Android, to hang when loading the page. I am using desktop view and pages now only load as far as the first ad and take a few refreshes to get the full page.
    Only happening on boards and only since ad introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just use the old skin, no ads in threads there :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

You don't honestly think that'll last, do you?

We'll get to it, and if there's a significant rise in old skin users it'll be sooner rather than later :)

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

You don't honestly think that'll last, do you?

We'll get to it, and if there's a significant rise in old skin users it'll be sooner rather than later :)

Danny

no but for now it's still better :)

Edit: some programme or other on my PC in work appears to block them all anyway, nice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Edit: some programme or other on my PC in work appears to block them all anyway, nice....
    I'm curious would it be possible to detect such programs and say prevent people from posting when using them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

why do people get arsey about ads- but I'm on boards where people expect so much for free!!!

I'm curious would it be possible to detect such programs and say prevent people from posting when using them ?

It is possible all right; Feature degradation is a nice idea.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Technically possible, but I very much doubt it would ever be implemented

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

That's a great idea. Prevent people having access at work and expect them to log in, at home then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually there is a method of "punishment" which I think I've mentioned before.

You create an horrific-looking image (tartan electric pink or something) with the text, "This space would look better if you didn't block our ads" in it, that's exactly the same size as the ads themselves.

You embed it in the page for all users and have the ads overlaid on these images. So if you leave the ad alone, you're fine, if you block the ad, the horrible image appears.

The image lives in http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images so that it's impossible to use a wildcard to block it, and you script it so that the name of the image is randomised every 30 minutes or so, making it very frustrating for anyone who tries to just block the image.

You could randomise the name of the image every time the page loads, but that would probably be quite a performance hit.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You had to say it to them didn't you :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

You had to say it to them didn't you :p

It was already noted and on the cards.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

seamus wrote: »

You create an horrific-looking image (tartan electric pink or something) with the text, "This space would look better if you didn't block our ads" in it, that's exactly the same size as the ads themselves.

You embed it in the page for all users and have the ads overlaid on these images. So if you leave the ad alone, you're fine, if you block the ad, the horrible image appears.

The image lives in http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images so that it's impossible to use a wildcard to block it, and you script it so that the name of the image is randomised every 30 minutes or so, making it very frustrating for anyone who tries to just block the image.

You could randomise the name of the image every time the page loads, but that would probably be quite a performance hit.
    I used to like you :(

Where To wrote: »

You subscribe, you've nothing to worry about :)

Danny

Nice idea, but the use of white-lists would put paid to that.

Much better to detect and remove content/privileges. Ad-blockers are great at removing content, not so good at adding it.

I guess removing posting rights, images, videos and access to all non-public forums would allow ppl to use the site but provide an incentive to display the adverts/subscribe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Adblock is one thing but will anyone lose their jobs if I install :) block? Its overuse is getting on my tits a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nice idea, but the use of white-lists would put paid to that.
    There's not really any foolproof method, but how many people really use detailed white lists?

How many people would go to the trouble of adding every individual image on boards.ie to their whitelist?

I imagine the vast majority of people using adblockers are using blacklists because they're so much easier to manage.

Really my point is that any anti-ad-blocking strategy should be reasonably appropriate (I'm not sure if crippling the site for adblockers is an appropriate response, a bit overkill) and also cost-effective - no point in spending a lot of developer time and/or bandwidth just to try and eek a little more ad revenue out.

Adblock is one thing but will anyone lose their jobs if I install :) block? Its overuse is getting on my tits a bit.

No. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

What needs to be done is Danny saves up for a week or 2(he is on €100,000+ a week like a prem footballer afterall) and buy adblocker. Then he can make it so it doesn't work with boards.

ken wrote: »
    What needs to be done is Danny saves up for a week or 2(he is on €100,000+ a week like a prem footballer afterall) and buy adblocker. Then he can make it so it doesn't work with boards.

Pfft, with all these new ads it's easily more :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Where To wrote: »

You subscribe, you've nothing to worry about :)

Danny
    Yeah but just thinking of the implications of being sitebanned. Nothing like being prepared.

:):):)

• Advertisement

There's not really any foolproof method, but how many people really use detailed white lists?
    My second idea was to hire hitmen using all the additional revenue :D

Advertisement