Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Wait, so because the site is getting bigger you need more money to upgrade servers etc?

So ye'r making more money from getting more hits on the ads with more users, also the owner of the site has been able to retire hasn't he said? So how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Prick! wrote: »
    Wait, so because the site is getting bigger you need more money to upgrade servers etc?

So ye'r making more money from getting more hits on the ads with more users, also the owner of the site has been able to retire hasn't he said? So how does that work?

Who is the 'owner' of the site?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Who is the 'owner' of the site?

One of the owners I meant to say, Tom Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

One of the owners I meant to say, Tom Murphy.

So what percentage of the company does he own and what relevance does his retirement have to the daily running costs of the site?

mloc123 wrote: »
    So what percentage of the company does he own and what relevance does his retirement have to the daily running costs of the site?

If I remember correctly he said he doesn't make that much, but enough to allow him early retirement. Maybe I'm wrong about all this.

But the reason for increasing servers etc means increasing views and more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Tom earns a nominal wage from the site, in his ask-me-anything thread he mentioned it was a salary of in or around €2500/month. He has other interests as well such as Poker and other tech ventures, all of which contribute to his means but none of which really has anything to do with re-introducing banner ads unless I'm missing some strand of thought here...?

Tom earns a nominal wage from the site, in his ask-me-anything thread he mentioned it was a salary of in or around €2500/month. He has other interests as well such as Poker and other tech ventures, all of which contribute to his means but none of which really has anything to do with re-introducing banner ads unless I'm missing some strand of thought here...?

Well it just seems from the original post as if the ads HAVE to be increased. Let's not forget the other parts of boards, adverts, boardsdeals, the journal, daft.

The site is one of the biggest sites in the country, not only does a user view a few pages, they are likely to view lots, and even view lots of the same pages again. All contributing to the money that the ads are generating. It is not short of money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It is not short of money.
    There's a fair bit of conjecture going on with regard to the site finances, so I may as well throw in my own...

While the site is huge and generates revenue on the back of that, the revenue from ads is small per page impression thingy even with the big numbers. it also costs big money to run. Wages alone would be a large drain. I suspect to get enough payments from ad hits to even cover the minimum wage for just one employee would run to the many thousands of hits. On top of wages you have all the other expenses of running a biz like this, from the techie equipment and backup, rent, light and heat all the way down to the coffee in the coffee machine. Sister sites like Adverts of course also have the price per ad money coming in, but I suspect keeping the group of sites together and running is a finely balanced act.

IMHO people see the "numbers" in the online world in general and think "jaysus they're huge, they must be minting it", without realising the costs involved and the actual numbers that may be actually active at any one time. EG Boards is huge, many tens of thousands of users(and posts), but how many of those users going all the way back to 1998 are currently active on a monthly, weekly, daily type basis? Yes the figures are still big which is brilliant for the site and community, but don't let the bare numbers let you think the lads and lasses in the office are drinking ambrosia from golden chalices while wearing mink(though maybe Dav..). Remember the bubble of Web 1.0 back in the day? That was largely fueled by daft investors just seeing the "numbers" without thinking about how those numbers translated into actual cold hard cash.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Is boards.ie that hard up for money that it has to accept money by advertising a company that sells those bloody laser pointers?

Their adds are all over the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Is boards.ie that hard up for money that it has to accept money by advertising a company that sells those bloody laser pointers?

Their adds are all over the site.
    We use Google Adsense which if you're logged into any Google service it uses your search history data to serve up related ads.

• Advertisement

We use Google Adsense which if you're logged into any Google service it uses your search history data to serve up related ads.
    :eek: Oh crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

padd b1975 wrote: »
    :eek: Oh crap!
    so what have you been googling ?:pac:

so what have you been googling ?:pac:
    *Walks away whistling*

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I most certainly have NOT retired nor could I. I have a mortgage and I work a second job outside of Distilled Media (with my own mobile gaming company called Gone Gaming... hopefully you will see more of us soon!).

The online ad revenue market is extremely tight, costs quite a bit to sell to and has collapsed in value in the last 2-3 years. Google ads are earning a third of what they were 2 years ago and you most certainly don't sell all the pages on any site, this one included. Most sites are lucky if they sell 10% and are flying if they sell 20%.

I'm not putting on the poor mouth, my 13 years involvement with Boards has been rewarding but if you were to divide what I have made by 13 years of service, it would be illegally low wages :)

Dont fool yourselves, even a huge online site struggles to make any sort of profit. Do the math. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The ads on the touch site are misleading as they are designed to look like an unread thread in the forum menu. they're the same format and font type: heavy navy top line and smaller black below. I really dislike this, if they need to be there they should at least be different enough that you don't click on them by mistake which scrolling through a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The adblock addon for firefox removes all the banner ads, just so you know.

I have no intention of turning it off, but just though i'd give a heads up.

Maybe there is a workaround for you guys that forces ads to show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Its doing a poor job of it then. I thought it was these agencies looking after things anyway?
    DeVore wrote: »
    Google ads are earning a third of what they were 2 years ago

facebook-and-google-revenues-graph-1.png

Sounds like you're being had my friend, because Google's revenue is doing just fine. Google made its money selling relevant advertisements, boards should step up and do the same thing only better. Its not like the context is hard to work out, you have individually named forums.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Its doing a poor job of it then. I thought it was these agencies looking after things anyway?
    We use a mixture of both agencies and google ads. We'll show agency ads if we have any to show otherwise fall back on google ads.
    ]
    facebook-and-google-revenues-graph-1.png

Sounds like you're being had my friend, because Google's revenue is doing just fine. Google made its money selling relevant advertisements, boards should step up and do the same thing only better. Its not like the context is hard to work out, you have individually named forums.
    Devore meant that you don't make the same money from google ads as you did 2 years ago and wasn't at all referring to their revenue as a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Devore meant that you don't make the same money from google ads as you did 2 years ago and wasn't at all referring to their revenue as a company.
    Also, Google missed quarterly profit targets the other day and had 16 billion (ish) wiped off their value when it was accidently reported early, would've been more only they requested their stock be froze.

All cuz of the drop in ads.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't mind the ads in between posts, or at the bottom of threads, but i draw the line when they start playing music when browsing a thread. Had some stupid turkey island playing music anytime i opened up a thread on the games forum. Really annoying.

Is there no way to stop those kind of ads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I think boards.ie:Nicola was looking after these. if you get a musical/pup-uppable/uber-annoying ad, drop her a PM and she can see that its removed from the rotation.

I'm like you, I leave ads on because its revenue for the site I dont pay to use (I never understand the sense of entitlement some people get when they are using a FREE resource! its not like boards.ie is stealing from you in any way and its not like you dont get some level of utility in return for your time spent here even if its just a laugh or two from the YLYL picture thread) , I even click on an ad every now and then if it sparks my interest but I'd be annoyed too if I got an intrusive ad.

Kiith wrote: »
    I don't mind the ads in between posts, or at the bottom of threads, but i draw the line when they start playing music when browsing a thread. Had some stupid turkey island playing music anytime i opened up a thread on the games forum. Really annoying.

Is there no way to stop those kind of ads?
    yup as LoLth says, pm nicola on those.

we are all internet users ourselves and there is nothing more annoying that ads that play sound or expand over content without your interaction or explicit consent.

when pming nicola can you be sure to mention the ad the company is for and the click through url - click the ad and copy the url you land on this will allow us to remove the ad from rotation.

Also most might not be aware that google adsense ads can be tailored to your preferences by signing into your google account and clicking this url - http://www.google.com/ads/preferences?hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Also, if you can't get the URL of the ad (which seems to happen a lot with audio ads) even a screenshot would be helpful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I have a screenshot, and will send it onto once i'm back at my computer. If i get the same ad i'll see if i can get the URL.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I would have thought the two points were rather closely connected.

Having already given what advice I have to offer, I'll hold my whist now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

No problem with ads but you have an animated ad that plays music

It's for a gaming site, I realy should have taken note of it

Of course you have to adverise but having one play music by default is annoying at home and far more then annoying if you are in an office and you have to rush to close the page or mute it

edit, it's already been raised ^^^^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have seen heard that one aswell twice this morning already. Kind of drum beats but no talking so it was hard to pin it to a certain ad. It is either 'The Journal' ad or the gaming site the previous poster referred to

The journal ad doesn't not play any sound as they are made by a team that is in the office which have a set rule of no sound unless the user clicks an unmute button.

Next time someone sees it. Forward it on to Nicola with the info she requested a few posts back and we'll sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Also, if you can't get the URL of the ad (which seems to happen a lot with audio ads) even a screenshot would be helpful.

Was not fast enough to get screen grab, but that fecking turkey island advert is playing loud when it appears.

Appeared on YLYL 4 pages 72/73 for me today and last night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement