Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-introduction of Banner Ads

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

Read a bit of the previous posts so I PM'd Nicola just now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Up until today I was happy to let ads on screen, as they generate revenue for the site.
    Hell there were a few that I even clicked on and took advantage of.

Now, however, I am in the process of downloading ad blocking software. Having ads, that I can chose to interact with, is one thing but having to scroll the screen to determine which ad is making noise?? Not happening

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've gotten the Turkey ad loads of times now. Very annoying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I've just sent the Turkey Island ad to our traffic manager to be blocked-this should take effect within a couple of hours.

Audio ads are not something we want on the site-every so often one does slip through the cracks though but as soon as we know about it we can, and will block it.

Thanks,
    Nicola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've just sent the Turkey Island ad to our traffic manager to be blocked-this should take effect within a couple of hours.

Audio ads are not something we want on the site-every so often one does slip through the cracks though but as soon as we know about it we can, and will block it.

Thanks,
    Nicola

Is/was it one of those 'Google Adsense' things?
    I wasn't getting it at all, so by way of scientifical experiment, I deliberately did a Google search for "Turkey Island".
    Within a couple of hours, I was getting it every 8th-10th time I'd load a page.

So, that worked then :D

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote: »
    Is/was it one of those 'Google Adsense' things?
    I wasn't getting it at all, so by way of scientifical experiment, I deliberately did a Google search for "Turkey Island".
    Within a couple of hours, I was getting it every 8th-10th time I'd load a page.

So, that worked then :D

It actually wasn't but good work on the investigation :D

It would seem some changes were made to our Google accounts over the weekend which messed up our preferences, our poor traffic manager is currently trying to get everything back to normal-if anyone spots anything else amiss let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The Turkey Island ad is still there btw. Stupid thing scared the bejasus out of me!! :D

Edit: Just saw Nicola's post, fix mustn't have taken effect yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

maybe a report function for ads would work similar to the report post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

That's really quite a good idea, but I'm not sure what sort of technical work it'd take. I'll talk to the tech team about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's appearing here now!!!:
    228236.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where do these ads come from, does boards have any control over which ones show. Are there any "moral" standards being applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Just got that turkey ad there. God, it's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

whole process is covered in the thread

summary: combination of direct sales and google ads presented based on google analytics if you are logged in to google while viewing boards.

Ther eis a content manager who tweaks the google feed to make sure nothing "not nice" gets displayed.

there will always be exceptions though so if you do see one, contact Boards.ie Nicola by PM to inform her (if you can get the URL or a screenshot all the better) , time date and page info at a minimum

"moral" standards....as in "no annoying pop ups or sounds" then yes.

if you mean "no ads for items members of the public may find grossly offensive to decent rational humans" then yes, no pr0n , scams, racism etc

if you mean "no ads for anything that could possibly offend anyone on boards" then thats a trial of Tantalus right there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

of course, the amount of times the words "turkey ad" and "turkey Island" appear in this thread now could be acting as a google turkey ad magnet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

LoLth wrote: »
    of course, the amount of times the words "turkey ad" and "turkey Island" appear in this thread now could be acting as a google turkey ad magnet :D
    is it not due to the run up to Christmas? Mmm...St. Stephen's Day turkey sandwiches.

It can take a few hours for the block to take effect, I'll check and see if it has worked-sometimes some ads appear under multiple URLs which can mean even if we block one, it will still reappear under a different URL.

I know it's extremely annoying but we will always do our best to get rid of these asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

It can take a few hours for the block to take effect, I'll check and see if it has worked-sometimes some ads appear under multiple URLs which can mean even if we block one, it will still reappear under a different URL.

I know it's extremely annoying but we will always do our best to get rid of these asap.

Just a heads up - it appeared again tonight... YLYL 4 - Page 79 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Access wrote: »
    Just a heads up - it appeared again tonight... YLYL 4 - Page 79 :(

I saw it too, clicked & got the URL & PM'd Nicola.

If you come across any 'noise' ads, get the URL and PM Boards.ie:Nicola as they need the URL to block it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Okay, the ads are too annoying.. how the hell do people put up with them. the site now feels like an old iPhone hacking site or something

/adblock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tallon wrote: »
    Okay, the ads are too annoying.. how the hell do people put up with them. the site now feels like an old iPhone hacking site or something

/adblock

Don't like the ads? Subscribe.

How many sites do you know of that have no ads?

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Don't like the ads? Subscribe.

How many sites do you know of that have no ads?
    I've subbed for YEARS!

And loads of sites... Mine included!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

I've subbed for YEARS!

Have to say, I'd rather the ads than that Red Face Avatar you've subjected us to for years.:p

Still in your sig though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You can't compare your site of 5300 posts to boards which could get that in 10 minutes at a busy time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Sorry, name any busy site that does not have ads :)

What are your yearly running costs? What is the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

OSI wrote: »
    Funny how your YouTube channel videos are proceeded by an advert. I wonder do you take offence to those? Or are they only annoying when they don't benefit you?

At least the pre-roll video ads on YouTube are skippable with one click.

You can't compare your site of 5300 posts to boards which could get that in 10 minutes at a busy time.
    How is that relevant?

I said loads of sites, mine was just an example

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've just gotten that Turkey Island ad. The removal process clearly hasn't been very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

How is that relevant?

I said loads of sites, mine was just an example

It's relevant because a lot of sites don't have the overheads that boards does.

And that Turkey Island ad is the devil! For some reason I never get it when logged into Gmail, but constantly when not, I'm guess it's because my parents play so many facebook games, but I don't get why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

This is really a global problem.

A lot of sites have to/choose to serve ads. That's a given at this stage. Boards' shareholders aren't going to turn around and cut the ads out because one or two sh1tty ones get through.

So, we have a situation where the sites in question have a lot less editorial control over the ads that appear, than they would like.

This laxity wouldn't be tolerated in other media, so I don't know why it is here (as in the web in general).

• Advertisement

It's relevant because a lot of sites don't have the overheads that boards does.

And that Turkey Island ad is the devil! For some reason I never get it when logged into Gmail, but constantly when not, I'm guess it's because my parents play so many facebook games, but I don't get why.

But boards is run by Digiweb, and I'm pretty sure they don't spent that much on it!!!

Also, yes of course sites have ads, but not every couple of posts, and certainly not animated / audio-based ones!

Advertisement