Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suet, trimmings and bone for rendering.

Options
  • 19-09-2012 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

I wasn't sure where to post but this seems like the best place as it's related too butchery and food.

So basically I want to get and store animal fat by rendering and pressing trimmigs and suet. I was just wondering what the best place is to get suet in particular and maybe some waste trimmings and bone.

How much would it cost per kilo? or would it be given free? I know certainly my mother was able to get suet and bones from her butcher in the past as they considered it a waste material but that was a few years ago.

So any ideas of availability, cost and the quantities available. Thanks.

Ideally to get the maximum quantity of rendereed tallow, I plan on using the dry batch rendering process. The cracklings would then be removed and a press used to extract the remaining tallow.

I was thinking of using the bones as a souce and extract the tallow from the marrow. I will be reducing the bone in a small diesel powered cake breaker and then feeding the fat beaing fragments into the pot. I'm hoping to do it on a wood stove at around 150 degrees temperature.

The rendered tallow would then be stored in sealed jars for use in deep fat frying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Can't help with your request, but I'm fascinated as to why you want to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

OU812 wrote: »
    Can't help with your request, but I'm fascinated as to why you want to do it.

Right well see my edited post.

So essentially I want to get the tallow to use it in deep fat frying. Years ago Eddie Rockets used to do all their chips in tallow, or beef dripping as they referred to it as. An old timer I met recently reminded me of the chips they used do in the old Eddie Rockets near the pro-cathedral and I thought I'd try to recreate the taste.

In addition, he also recommended that marrow was best eaten raw. Is this safe? I thought there'd be huge problems regarding prion disease agents.
    I also came across an american website where it said that brains could be rendered as it contained a large amount of fats. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole though. Waaay risky with prion agents.

Also, I know the tallow solidifies again on cooling even when in use. Is there any additional process I can carry out to "crack" the fat down into smaller molecules so it will remain a liquid. Heating it up from a solid lump is a pain as you have to do it slowly and gently or else you will get buring and carbonation of the fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

TBH - you could edit your post again to fix the spelling mistakes to let us know exactly what you are on about.

As for the cost of the materials that you are looking for - this is not standard stuff that posters would purchase from their local butchers, so I fail to see why you would think that you could get pricing advice here.

Your best bet is to ask your local butcher directly.

As for Food Safety advice - please read the F&D charter - we do not provide that in this forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why not just buy dripping??!!
    A lot less effort with the same end result (chips)

Well I just thought that someone might have done it before so there'd be no harm in asking.

I suppose I will ask a butchers directly if no-one has bought it before.

I know I could just buy dripping but I wanted to experiment with the whole rendering process just for the sake of it. I've looked it up on some websites and I think it would be rewarding to be able to render tallow yourself.

Does anyone know anything about processing or cracking it so it will be liquid at room temperature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I render fat, I just ask the butcher for some fat. I don't get much but I don't use much. I get it for free. I also buy duck legs and store the fat from those.

Just go in and ask your butcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Well I just thought that someone might have done it before so there'd be no harm in asking.
    Apologies. The tone of my post was a bit harsh.

tHB

Does anyone know anything about processing or cracking it so it will be liquid at room temperature.

The only way your going to get liquid at room temp tallow is if you change the chemical structure of the fat or have a very hot room. It'll probably be easier to break it up so it can turn to liquid easier.

Orla K wrote: »
    The only way your going to get liquid at room temp tallow is if you change the chemical structure of the fat or have a very hot room. It'll probably be easier to break it up so it can turn to liquid easier.

Yeah, that is what I had initially hoped to do as in somehow change the structure of the fats by some knid of cracking process. From what i've been reading today it appears that crackign of fats is more or less impossible for the kitchen as either very high temperatures and pressures or chemicals are required.

The reason I wanted to crack it to remain liquid was that I wouldn't be able to leave it solidify in the deep fay fryer as heating it up again would burn it. So it looks like I will have to pour it out into a container to solidify and then put it back into the fryer in chunks when i resuse it.

I am going to the butchers tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on procuring the suet and bones.
    Apparently, bone marrow makes very good quality tallow. I am using an old vintage ore breaker that I bought at a show last year to crush the bone (i collect and restore small vintage engines and machines too so that how that came to be!)
    As we know, redering leaves over the protein fraction in the form of cracklings. Can anyone recommend a good use for the cracklings?

As we know, redering leaves over the protein fraction in the form of cracklings. Can anyone recommend a good use for the cracklings?

Just shove them in your mouth like most people

• Advertisement

Yeah, but any particular dish that they'd suit rather than a simple "face stuffing".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The reason I wanted to crack it to remain liquid was that I wouldn't be able to leave it solidify in the deep fay fryer as heating it up again would burn it. So it looks like I will have to pour it out into a container to solidify and then put it back into the fryer in chunks when i resuse it.

I've used solid fat in a fryer without a problem. It turns to liquid very quickly as the melting point is so low, then its heats uniformly as a liquid.
    Really don't like the idea of pouring hot liquid oil from the fryer

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

I used to render fat for use in commercial deep fat fryers.

Ask your butcher for kidney fat and chop/hack it up into smaller pieces so it'll render faster.
    Put into a deep roasting tin and place in a moderate oven. It'll take hours and the kitchen will take on a rather peculiar aroma :-) Give it an occasional stir. When it's rendered to your satisfaction turn off the oven and allow it to cool slightly before you strain it. Be careful!

You don't need bones or marrow.

Advertisement