Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye Cinema or Omniplex?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

kautostar wrote: »
    Okay so I finally went to see Batman in The Eye... found the actual speech a little difficult to hear clearly at times.

No. That'll just be Bane. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I prefer the Eye, because of the underground parking (no walking through the rain) and the more metropolitan atmosphere. The omniplex just looks a bit run down to me, even after they jazzed it up.

I also hate the popcorn in the Omniplex, it's more like "butter flavour" where the Eye is more plain (probably cooked in oil), which I prefer. And I prefer Pepsi Max over Diet Coke which is another thing in favour of the Eye for me.

The only thing I don't like there is that the armrests are fixed. Except in the luxury screen (which in itself is another benefit, I use it sometimes when I'm really looking forward to a particular movie)

I just wish you could get a subscription for the cinema here (e.g. watch all you want during the week for 10-20 euro). You see this a lot in Europe and I think I even saw it in Dublin one time. I used to have one of those as a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

One thing I hate about the eye is in one of their screens they don't have cup holders, instead they have these stupid little fold away tables that can't take the weight of a fly, just really annoys me. I also hate the way that they don't have ticket machines to buy tickets to bypass the queue.

In omniplex in galway i don;t like the reclining chairs that seem to just pivot back and forth...

I like Oranmore though, it's never busy so you'll always get a good seat and feel like you have the place to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I just wish you could get a subscription for the cinema here (e.g. watch all you want during the week for 10-20 euro). You see this a lot in Europe and I think I even saw it in Dublin one time. I used to have one of those as a student.

Yarp, when lived in Dublin years back it was handy. Looks like they still do it to: http://www.cineworld.ie/unlimited/intro

Would be great if one of the cinema's in Galway offered something like it - maybe the high proportion of students might make it unprofitable?

lamps

yer man! wrote: »
    One thing I hate about the eye is in one of their screens they don't have cup holders, instead they have these stupid little fold away tables that can't take the weight of a fly, just really annoys me. I also hate the way that they don't have ticket machines to buy tickets to bypass the queue.

In omniplex in galway i don;t like the reclining chairs that seem to just pivot back and forth...

I like Oranmore though, it's never busy so you'll always get a good seat and feel like you have the place to yourself.

That's Screen One. The original purpose is that it was to be used as a conference hall as well, so those tables were put in for this purpose. They were never intended to take much weight.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

One annoying thing about the eye is there is often a log delay.

Movie advertised for say 6.15, get there at 6.15, go get munchies and a drink, wander to screen for 6.10, get seat, get settled and wait...

6.30, still waiting... go ask staff, they stare blankly and panic.

6.40, movie starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

That's Screen One. The original purpose is that it was to be used as a conference hall as well, so those tables were put in for this purpose. They were never intended to take much weight.
    Sure the table would collapse under the weight of an A4 page....

yer man! wrote: »
    Sure the table would collapse under the weight of an A4 page....

I'm sitting in screen one right now. The bleedin' tables won't even stay up.

I'm sitting in screen one right now. The bleedin' tables won't even stay up.

Get off your phone! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A guy there last night actually put his popcorn and drink on the tray, or tried to, at least....all fell to the floor a second later. Pretty shoddy of the Eye Cinema I think, not to just remove them all together.

• Advertisement

Get off your phone! :pac:

You're not my real mom!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Seaneh wrote: »
    One annoying thing about the eye is there is often a log delay.

Movie advertised for say 6.15, get there at 6.15, go get munchies and a drink, wander to screen for 6.10, get seat, get settled and wait...

6.30, still waiting... go ask staff, they stare blankly and panic.

6.40, movie starts.

I can honestly say this never happened to me... in any cinema... ever

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Usually go to Omniplex, but started going to the eye more recently.

Prefer the eye in nearly every regard, Seats(except for the lack of cup holders) are better, I find the sound better(sometimes too loud though) and the screens seem to have more vibrant colours.

I prefer the larger screens in Omniplex though.

The 3D in Eye is not 'Real D' so I have to use their chunky glasses instead of my own. Don't usually bother with 3D so not a huge issue for me really.

The ticket machines in Omniplex are so handy.

Vue Cinema in Lffey Valley SC in Dubin...., now there's a cinema, my fav!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I can honestly say this never happened to me... in any cinema... ever

Happened to me 3 times in august.

Film delayed by anything from 15 to 40 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Seaneh wrote: »
    Happened to me 3 times in august.

Film delayed by anything from 15 to 40 minutes.

then it sounds like a short-term problem. maybe a machine started acting up or they hired someone who didn't know what they were doing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

then it sounds like a short-term problem. maybe a machine started acting up or they hired someone who didn't know what they were doing

it's happened to me in both cinema's a couple of times, it can be a long boring wait :pac: since it's not that rare I imagine it's something to do with poor rota scheduling.

Now I'm kinda off the omniplex at the moment as my last two trips have resulted in the film being soft for 10 minutes, until I asked for it to be sorted, and the 2nd time having the audio being absolutely diabolical - channels jumping all over the place, it was a bad movie anyway and the audio didn't help matters.

I'm considering seeing looper in the omni all same to give them one last chance before venturing to the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Was in the Eye for first time last night (The Impostor. Good film). Liked the place but it was like a ghost town. I would say there were more staff than customers in the place. Seats were lovely and the surround sound was grand for that film but I would think it would be a bit overpowering for a loud action film if the trailers are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Was in the Eye for first time last night (The Impostor. Good film). Liked the place but it was like a ghost town. I would say there were more staff than customers in the place. Seats were lovely and the surround sound was grand for that film but I would think it would be a bit overpowering for a loud action film if the trailers are anything to go by.

...that sounds fantastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭moonandstars

To all of the above - they're all the same.. they're only cinemas to watch a movie in! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Saw that they had specials on showings in the luxury screen over the last week & next weekend. Where you payed the normal ticket price or the earlybird one and watched the film in the luxury screen which is normally €13.50 a seat.

I guess it's a bit more comfortable and a lot less crowded, only seats 40 people if I counted right. You get a leather seat with a raisable armrest/seat divider in the middle. Seems like there may be a bit more footroom too.

Otherwise I'm not sure it would be worth the extra money. Am glad I saw Anna Karenina but won't be going out of my way to get back into that particular cinema room, unless I can get myself enthused about Taken 2 over the weekend.

• Advertisement

Cinemas usually get the majority of customers outside of the holidays on weekends, so Friday-Sunday would be their busiest times, with most experiencing peak times between 8 and 9 during the week. If you go before these times, chances are it'd be a lot more quiet, unless the specific cinema has deals on, like the Eye with Ruby Tuesday, where students can get cheap tickets before 8:30pm, unless this has changed since the last time I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just back there from a Trip to The Eye. Got me thinking about which one of the two I prefer.

The Eye has many things in it's favor. It has generally a superior selection of movies, on at a greater variety of times. The picture and sound in the theaters is usually near faultless. I've read a few people complaining that they've experienced issues but I personally haven't in this regard. The layout and decor of the place is pretty appealing, but perhaps a slight irrelevance when most of your time in there is spent in a darkened room for two hours. I don't drive so I never really gave the underground car park a lot of thought but I guess it's handy to have nearby.
    But I don't know, despite all this I still have a lot of problems with the place. The deal they make for bags is a bit over the top and inconsistent. If you have a bag with you, that's it- you have to hand it over. Despite whatever valuables you might have in it, just hand it over. I know the pretense is that it's to make sure you aren't bringing in recording equipment/ food. Fair enough I would say. Except for the fact that women with ginormous handbags are never, ever stopped. I mean come on, there is ample room to sneak in whatever you want in some of these bags. There's bigger problems in the world I suppose but it always sticks in my craw a bit. I can remember one occasion when I had to leave a bag downstairs before a late showing. Once the movie was over I went down to the main desk to retrieve my stuff that was under lock and key. No staff to be found anywhere. After waiting for a bit, I had to go back upstairs to find the one guy, who seemed to be only member of staff around. He was chatting to some people. I told him I couldn't get my things. He yeah, yeah, yeahed. I went back down, waited another 10 minutes. Went after him again, he was still chatting away. Finally, after a bit more hanging around, and when he was good and ready he got my things. No sorry about the wait or anything like that. This was all at about 1 o clock at night. I did get my things but man I was made to wait for them. I wanted to see the movie and get out, not have to wait for him to finish his midnight chinwag.
    The screen I was in this evening had nowhere to place your drinks. Well you could put them on the floor in front of you, which I suppose is better than absolutely no option but also happens to be a pain in the arse because every time you or someone else moves during the film everybody in the row starts to frantically grab their drinks out of the tiny amount of walkspace, in order to prevent a parabolic arc of soft drink dousing everyone in a close radius. Now I will admit the little drama that ensues can sometimes be more entertaining than what you are watching up on the screen, but it is all about comfort really. Kind of sums it all up- "Wow I cant believe they are showing this, comfy seat, pictures crisp, sound is good...where am I going to put my gallon of syrup?". So close but yet so far.

The 'Plex or whatever name is goes by these days does seem a little dingy in comparison. They've gussied it up a bit. It's a bit more reminiscent of The Eye, but it still has that Omniplex feel. I for one really do miss the red drapes they used to have around the place and the no doubt butter and popcorn infused carpeting. Progress I guess. It still has something though, I like the layout, the way it's condensed and all on one level. Filmswise, it doesn't have the choice of it's competitor, even though that has improved since they've changed ownership. They sometimes have exclusive runs of films these days, which really hasn't happened since The Eye came on the scene. I'm also not entirely certain of their business plan at the moment. They've stopped doing late shows on a Friday, I suppose I must be in the small minority of dissapointed patrons. Also, why have they stopped publishing their listings in the local papers? I know you can find them elsewhere but out of habit I still check The Advertiser every week to see what's on. Seems like they might be shooting themselves in the foot there.
    It must be said that sometimes I've gone to see films and there have been issues with the audio visual side of things.It is rare but it does occur. I went to see The Iceman there a few months back and the sound was so poor, the dialogue was almost inaudible. Now, the film itself was atrocious but it probably would have helped if I could have heard what people were saying on screen. 99% of the time I have no complaints and since they have changed to digital the visual presentation is fine- 99% of the time.
    Despite all this I still prefer The 'Plex, even if The Eye has it trumped in a few departments. I spoke of drinks earlier. The Eye has Pepsi, The 'Plex has Coke. This difference can not be overstated. Pepsi tastes like crap whereas a large Coke is often reason enough to go to the movies. I find both have good seating, different but good. But only one has 100% receptacle coverage.
    And finally to return to my pet peeve, they don't seem to give a hoot what you do with your personal possessions in there. It's almost like they trust you, there isn't an implicit assumption that you are going to pirate their movies while gobbling on contraband and as petty as it might seem that is a big reason why I prefer to give them my money, when it comes down to a decision between themselves and The Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

One thing I don't like about the IMC (I think that's what it's called now) is that they've merged the food and ticket counters, although they do get points for having ticket collection machines.

Also, if you buy a 3d ticket, you have to pay separately for the glasses. It's something nominal like 2e but I think that's a ridiculous system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Not really a ridiculous system, you pay €1 extra for the movie and €1 extra to purchase glasses. The glasses are then yours to keep and re use, so you only pay for them once. Meanwhile the eye charges €2 each time to use glasses that god knows how many people/kids have used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

I prefer the IMC due to it's handiness and comfort. I have had trouble with The Eye in regard to movies starting late at one stage it got so ridiculous I had to go out and let them know the screen hadn't been playing the movie as they had forgot about the movie! Also I find the screens can be freezing in The Eye. Having said all that If it is a more special occasion that is bringing me to the cinema I would chose The Eye as it does have the WOW factor IMO.

I actually prefer the new ticket lay out in the IMC because you save time if you want to buy snacks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

The eye does 4 or 5 euro tickets on tuesdays for students and I prefer it to IMC but the problem is I have to go past IMC to get to it. If I take the bus the cost ends up being the same as IMC anyway. Being with O2 gives me cheap tickets mon-thurs and last time I was there the guy gave both me and my girlfriend the offer. Shame the nachos are a pack of doritos with a thing of cheese that would could probably get in tesco for 2 euro,

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

For those of us that can watch a movie without having to get a bucket of popcorn and litre of watered coke syrup the new ticket/snack counter combo in the IMC is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

connollys wrote: »
    For those of us that can watch a movie without having to get a bucket of popcorn and litre of watered coke syrup the new ticket/snack counter combo in the IMC is frustrating.

u can still book online and on your phone though and get the tickets out of the machine no? Or did they remove that?

yes its a little annoying and a little gimmicky but I suppose they do what they have to do to increase sales and stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They finally got rid of those horrible conference designed trays in that screen. Down side being, that now, you have absolutely nowhere to put your drink, which is incredibly irritating. Take note, Eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The Eye tends to be better at special occasion screenings, things like midnight screenings, the upcoming Doctor Who special, The Hobbit in High Frame rate. They aren't afraid of experimenting. IMC tends to stay mainstream.

Advertisement