Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reveal jpeg blacked out section

• 19-09-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

How would you remove blacked out section of a jpeg and see waht was undeneath it. Is it to do with metadata?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

How would you remove blacked out section of a jpeg and see waht was undeneath it.

You can't.

If you could, it'd be pointless to black out in the first place, no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

More than likely a corrupted which means that data is gone forever. Metadata is just tags and descriptions like what the picture is of, it has nothing to do with the data that makes up the actual picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I don't know is will be of any help, I once cropped half of a photo to remove someone and leave just me in the pic, when I took memory stick to the Fuji machine in a pharmacy it initially showed me the origiinal complete picture as a thumbnal, but printed the edited version out as a fullsize image.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭winsumlusum

Torqay wrote: »
    You can't.

If you could, it'd be pointless to black out in the first place, no? ;)
    I think you can sometimes remove it depending on how it is done in the first place. There was a pervert once who put his image on the net with it swirled effect but it was able to be reversed and he was identified . is this not possible with blacking out some thing from a jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I think you can sometimes remove it depending on how it is done in the first place. There was a pervert once who put his image on the net with it swirled effect but it was able to be reversed and he was identified . is this not possible with blacking out some thing from a jpeg

Thats totally different, he would have used a standard effect that could be reverse engineered. You cant do that when the data has been replaced with pure black.

Cant be done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Swirling is different as almost all the information is still there, just moved about. With the right tools and a lot of time it can be possible (not guaranteed) to reverse it.

If something is blacked out its gone, as none of the previous information is still there.

deconduo wrote: »
    Swirling is different as almost all the information is still there, just moved about. With the right tools and a lot of time it can be possible (not guaranteed) to reverse it.

If something is blacked out its gone, as none of the previous information is still there.
    even if the blacking out is done with say MS paint or similar just putting colour over the part blacked out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

even if the blacking out is done with say MS paint or similar just putting colour over the part blacked out?

Yes, because when you save the image, all the data about what colour those pixels were before is gone.

bedlam wrote: »
    Sometimes an embedded thumbnail (if it exists) in a jpeg will not have been updated after the blacked out section was added to an image.

You can extract this thumbnail using jhead
    jhead -st thumbnail.jpg original.jpg

That is what i meant. I did not know the term. Thanks everyone

would a thumbnail be a form of meta data?

where do i enter the code?

I think you can sometimes remove it

Not with a jpeg, when blacked out and saved, all layers will be compressed into one new image, not a hope you get it back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If an image is saved in a program like photoshop, and the black square is added, and the image saved without "flattening" I believe you may be able to seperate it. If flattened then the black square replaces the data underneath.
    I do recall a security issue with documents issues to the public a while back by the UK government (I think it was) with certain details blocked out for security purposes. The images were never flattened so it made little difference once discovered ;)

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    If an image is saved in a program like photoshop

It depends on the file format not the software, and the OP asked about JPEG.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Torqay wrote: »
    It depends on the file format not the software, and the OP asked about JPEG.

I meant a jpeg saved in photoshop or any image editor that uses layers

Nick

at a command prompt.
    it didn't work said no such jpeg

it didn't work said no such jpeg

substitute your filename for 'original.jpg' and make sure the current directory of the command prompt is the folder where the file is !

edit: put the jhead.exe in there too.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats totally different, he would have used a standard effect that could be reverse engineered. You cant do that when the data has been replaced with pure black.

Cant be done.
    what would be the effect and how would it be reversed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I believe Ed was referring to the swirl effect (or similar) in some image programs. There was a case several years ago where a paedophile had used the swirl effect to obscure his face thinking it would protect his identity and it backfired on him.

Owned in the face! Literally. :D

I believe Ed was referring to the swirl effect (or similar) in some image programs. There was a case several years ago where a paedophile had used the swirl effect to obscure his face thinking it would protect his identity and it backfired on him.
    that is the one i was trying to think of
    I get error no such file in file xxxxxxxx.jpeg. That means there is no thumbnail?

It means it can't find the filename you gave

examples for success,no thumb in file and missing file:

C:\Documents and Settings\dell\My Documents
    >jhead -st thumb1.jpg hasthumb.jpg
    Created: 'thumb1.jpg'

>jhead -st thumb2.jpg nothumb.jpg
    Image contains no thumbnail

>jhead -st thumb3.jpg nosuchfile.jpg

Error : No such file
    in file 'nosuchfile.jpg'

yoyo wrote: »
    I meant a jpeg saved in photoshop or any image editor that uses layers

Nick
    Jpegs don't have layers. If it's saved as a jpeg it's a flat image and what you see is what you get. I think tiffs can save layers but for the most part if it's not saved as a photoshop file the file is flattened into a single layer.

Jpegs are also highly compressed so they have very little data, if your editing in photoshop you save as a photoshop file and save a copy as a jpeg for final output onto the web.

• Advertisement

So if i post a jpeg to a site and blacken out say a car reg no one can unblacken it?

If you are that concerned, copy the image after blacking out the reg to a new file and upload that.

So if i post a jpeg to a site and blacken out say a car reg no one can unblacken it?
    No hope. Jpegs are made to have as little data as possible so they're as small as they can be. From a editors point of view they don't even have enough data to make them any use for further editing. If your taking an image off the web it's pretty much the lowest of the low when it comes to picture quality and data content.

Advertisement