Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinister

• 19-09-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Yet another horror :rolleyes: but this looks decent and seems to be getting good reviews with 100% on rt with 13 reviews so far, reminded me of Drag me to Hell with the whole demon thing going on. Ethan Hawke is quality though and should do more movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Looks ok, although so did Insidious..

Looks like "here's all the jump scares in the trailer" though, will probably still catch it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

krudler wrote: »
    Looks ok, although so did Insidious..

Looks like "here's all the jump scares in the trailer" though, will probably still catch it

Insidious was on it's way to being the greatest horror i've seen in a long time then it got near the end... what a let down, don't know how they fecked it up like they did. Reading the odd review the jump scenes are the only negative thing they say about it, willing to let it slide if there's a good story and characters behind it.

KilOit wrote: »
    Insidious was on it's way to being the greatest horror i've seen in a long time then it got near the end... what a let down, don't know how they fecked it up like they did. Reading the odd review the jump scenes are the only negative thing they say about it, willing to let it slide if there's a good story and characters behind it.

Oh Insidious started so well, it had some genuinely creepy moments and more than one decent moment that made me jump, then it got ridiculous and fell flat on its arse at the end.

I feel like I'm the only one that didn't jump during Insidious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Trust me you're not I was similarly underwhelmed after having the film recommended to me.

• Advertisement

only parts i did were the bit at the kitchen table, which I knew was coming but fecking jumped anyway, and when the guy
    on the balcony pacing back and forth suddenly appears in the room
    , wasnt expecting that. oh and that dancing kid, fcuk him.

[REC] and the Orphanage are two movies that really made me feel uneasy, in the former, it made me scream at a certain moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

[REC] and the Orphanage are two movies that really made me feel uneasy, in the former, it made me scream at a certain moment.

" 1...2...3...Knock on the wall"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw the trailer for this the other night and bloody hell it looks like the real deal. Not scared easily but I reckon this one could make a dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

KilOit wrote: »
    Yet another horror :rolleyes: but this looks decent and seems to be getting good reviews with 100% on rt with 13 reviews so far, reminded me of Drag me to Hell with the whole demon thing going on. Ethan Hawke is quality though and should do more movies.

Are you being sarcastic?

• Advertisement

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Are you being sarcastic?

What wrong with Ethan Hawke? solid actor imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Creepy kid, check. House with dark past, check. Creepy basement, check. Cheap scares, check.

I think I'll be waiting for the rest of the reviews.

Oh and the only thing I can remember about Insidious is the terrible third act.

Creepy kid, check. House with dark past, check. Creepy basement, check. Cheap scares, check.

I think I'll be waiting for the rest of the reviews.

Oh and the only thing I can remember about Insidious is the terrible third act.

It wasnt bad up until the Poltergeist ripoff stuff.

100% on rottentomatoes.com with 19 critics reviews, this looks like its actually genuinely scary.

I read a spoilerish review and some of the imagery is pretty disturbing even from the opening shot apparently, seeing this on Friday night, eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

Seeing a preview tonight. Don't have high hopes though, it looks like we've seen it all before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Looks really good, can't wait to see it.

That was one of the dumbest movies I've seen for quite some time. And just bursting at the seams with tiresome horror movie cliches.

Apart from some possibly unintentional laughs it was dire.

Squelchy wrote: »
    That was one of the dumbest movies I've seen for quite some time. And just bursting at the seams with tiresome horror movie cliches.

Apart from some possibly unintentional laughs it was dire.

Is it scary?

Is it scary?

If you consider "jump moments" scary?
    I mean, I can stand behind you and shout "BOO!"... that doesn't make me a scary person.

I did think the music was quite good, effective.

If you consider "jump moments" scary?
    I mean, I can stand behind you and shout "BOO!"... that doesn't make me a scary person.

I did think the music was quite good, effective.

Aw its not all cheap scares is it? was hoping for a bit more than stuff randomly popping out

• Advertisement

Aw its not all cheap scares is it? was hoping for a bit more than stuff randomly popping out

In terms of "scares" I'm afraid that that's really all it offers.
    Some of them serve no purpose in actual terms of what's going on in the movie and are just there for our benefit. Just superfluous to the characters and tacked-on in silly ways.

I hated it, sorry. It's just really dumb. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

I don't expect much in terms of a storyline or realism from any horror film so I didn't mind its predictability or what has been referred to as dumbness. Progresses at a steady pace and enjoyed it. The old film scenes are used well. Trailer gave away a bit too much I think though.

thefa wrote: »
    I don't expect much in terms of a storyline or realism from any horror film so I didn't mind its predictability or what has been referred to as dumbness..

That's a shame. I guess that's why bad horror movies are so readily accepted and popular.
    I wouldn't expect them to be hugely realistic but I would prefer they didn't insult my intelligence either.
    When a character's action (or inaction) is implausibly moronic but necessary to advance what passes for a plot then it just pulls me right out of the movie.

Maybe I'm a hopeless nerdy pedant but too many horror movies are just lazy.

That's a shame. I guess that's why bad horror movies are so readily accepted and popular.
    I wouldn't expect them to be hugely realistic but I would prefer they didn't insult my intelligence either.
    When a character's action (or inaction) is implausibly moronic but necessary to advance what passes for a plot then it just pulls me right out of the movie.

Maybe I'm a hopeless nerdy pedant but too many horror movies are just lazy.
    The majority of horror films ever made must considered bad by yourself in that case.

I'm not a horror movie buff but a lot of the ones I have seen have characters making choices that a bit of common sense would tell you in advance was the wrong thing to do. There's also plenty of rehashing of storylines and numerous sequels in the genre so coming back to my point; I don't expect much from horror films in terms of storyline and realism so along with what I posted earlier, this is enjoyable by horror movie standards in my opinion.

You on the other hand are completely dismissive of it and (presumably) comparing it to a select few classics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What wrong with Ethan Hawke? solid actor imo

He is very underrated, excellent actor imo

I was even scared by the trailer of this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Ah, it was alright. Only jumps scares. Couple of laughs. Besides the odd sequence it was devoid of suspense.

Ethan Hawke's wife is an awful actor. Really sh!te.

A lot of things pulled me out of the film, like:
    Why do the creepy kids have dreadful make up on their face that looks like hardened porridge oats?

And the one that really got me...
    Who developed the 8mm film? Cause you have to send those off to a lab to be developed.

Saw it last night, was ok, couple of jumpscares but had a tense atmosphere throughout, every time Hawke started up the projector you were on edge, I was surprised as to how disturbing some of the imagery was, even the opening shot is creepy. and there's one moment with
    a lawnmower
    that made the whole cinema jump. Its well directed though, there's lots of wide frame shots with a hallway or a door off to the side of character talking and you can't help but keep an eye on there in case something appears.

Overall would give it 3.5/5, Hawke is excellent in it, and the music score is absolutely astounding, makes the 8mm scenes infinitely more creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

Pretty good movie, well directed, annoying dialogue at times but creepy and left me with that odd jumpy feeling on the walk home so good result. Ethan hawke is very good to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Hopefully seeing this on wedensday, going by this thread looks like il probably be one of those people who gets scared by it :(, jumpy scenes and creepy scenes kinda seem to stay with me like fecking Insideous and Woman in black :eek:, still its halloween time, perfect time for spooky movies. Looking forward to and dreading seeing this now though, seems a good combination :D

• Advertisement

thefa wrote: »
    You on the other hand are completely dismissive of it and (presumably) comparing it to a select few classics.

I don't recall comparing it to anything. Naughty of you to presume I am.
    I said it was dumb as **** and I stand by that.
    Those with lower standards may disagree. And if there's more of them, then we'll probably get more dumb horror movies like this one. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saw it and thought the ending was weak, but the film itself was quite good with some extremely disturbing imagery within the film reels, the opening couple of seconds were horrifically haunting. There's one scene in particular which really got under my skin, for those that have seen it - the
    lawnmower.

Solid film, great score, unsettling and mostly fantastic acting throughout.

the opening couple of seconds were horrifically haunting

There's no way that
    branch was heavy enough to lift all 4 of those people.
    :pac:

Saw it and thought the ending was weak, but the film itself was quite good with some extremely disturbing imagery within the film reels, the opening couple of seconds were horrifically haunting. There's one scene in particular which really got under my skin, for those that have seen it - the
    lawnmower.

Solid film, great score, unsettling and mostly fantastic acting throughout.

The score was superb, I cant find it online yet though normally things like that would be on youtube by now, there's some really haunting music, its all off key and purposefully done to get under your skin. the
    drowning in the pool
    scene was well done as well. its not an amazing horror movie, far from it, but its definitely effective in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Saw it on Monday, I liked it, though I hadn't seen any trailers so I had no idea what to expect. Some really freaky moments, but can't say there was any genuine scares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it at the weekend and I thought it was pretty good. Definitely above the average horror film. Ending was a bit silly though, they should've gone blair witch on that one, leave it up to the imagination of the viewer.
    Was thinking though that it would've made a good tv show. A one season jobby, 24 episodes slowly buliding week by week, like Twin peaks. That would've worked horror show like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Huge let down. suffered from a lot of the same problems as Insidious ie. great start but begins to sag and then totally flops at the end. Insidious was definitely better.
    Anyone else think the guy responsible for it all looked like Mick from slipknot? (Trying to avoid a spoiler)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just saw it there, and i think the film suffered from "how the hell are we going to end this". I'll agree the suspense in it was good, but i was expecting more than what actually happened. I did like the
    lawnmower
    part, happened so quick and even though you knew what was coming it was still well done, but overall i am disappointed by it. Was hoping that this was going to be a good horror, but i preferred Insidious over this (even with it's batsheet crazy ending).

To rob some internet slang, i am disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

went to see this last night and it was utter tripe, very disappointed. The first 40 minutes builds up some tension and then it descends into nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

catallus wrote: »
    went to see this last night and it was utter tripe, very disappointed. The first 40 minutes builds up some tension and then it descends into nonsense.

Yeah pretty much how I felt in it. There were a few frights but pretty much of the cheap 'BOO!' variety... story is awful really and ending beyond ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Rubbish. Honestly, why do these kinds of horror film exist? There a tons of them, and they're all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

his face at the end :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

One word for it imho, a big MEH!
    Good movie for the storyline etc, couple of jumpy bits kind of and an okish yet predictable ending. Was expecting a lot more of it tbh.

I don't recall comparing it to anything. Naughty of you to presume I am.
    I said it was dumb as **** and I stand by that.
    Those with lower standards may disagree. And if there's more of them, then we'll probably get more dumb horror movies like this one. :(
    If you are not comparing it to anything then how come you previously categorised it as a bad horror movie? Obviously comparing it to something there and continued in this post.

If you are giving someone a condescending response, at least don't lie in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched this last night - a great little horror marred by a woeful last 15 minutes.

Shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Basq wrote: »
    Watched this last night - a great little horror marred by a woeful last 15 minutes.

Shame!

Watched it last night as well. Totally agree. Pity about last 15mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

bullvine wrote: »
    Watched it last night as well. Totally agree. Pity about last 15mins.

Oddly enough I watched this too over the weekend. Okay movie until
    the ghost kids follow him around the house and dance (whatever, then it just turned into a mess. I thought the ending was sudden and kinda funny...no build up, no hint of a potential escape, the girl just cuts up her family! The buugu man popping out at the end just screamed 'heyyyyyy' - wasn't scary at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

As flawed as it is it definitely had some unnerving moments, including one of the creepiest opening shots I've seen in a long time, the
    lawnmower scene was well done too, you knew it was coming, you still jumped
    . I did like how the shots were framed throughout, there's always an empty hallway or open door just off centre no matter what the characters are doing, well made but loses it in the last act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I agree with lots of the above.... well made, some great moments, but falls apart in the last act...
    Mr Boogie first appearing under the water watching the drowning scene was brilliant and then again from behind the bushes for the hanging scene..

It had a budget of $3M, box office of $87M... not bad...

Advertisement