Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking, what a nightmare!

Options
  • 19-09-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

The parking situation in Waterford city has actually gotten to the point where is now affects what I do and when. Is anyone else having any trouble?

In the last few weeks the streets that I have permission to park on with my parking permit are constantly full. It used to be grand, my main street is a very busy one as I am right in the center so I understand that parking can be a nightmare during the day or late on a Friday evening, and I had come to terms with that. I don't mind paying for an hours parking here or there until the shops close and then I move my car, but these days when I go to move my car the streets are full, which I can't understand, because there is only two houses on my street occupied. The council have obviously given out a load of parking permits for a street that can only accommodate 7 cars and even though my second street is a lot bigger it is more of a residential area so there is always full too. I need my car, but it's ridiculous that I dread using it because I might not get a parking spot when I return.

Any advice on what I should do? I can't keep parking on streets that I have to pay for, and having to return every two hours to put more money in, I have had a look around the place and all the streets seem pretty full at night so I don't think changing streets will help either!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

Write to the council with all you have here maybe and ask them to extend the area your permit covers? Resident's permits in Cork cover defined areas of the city on the map and include streets within a fairly wide radius of your house, not just one or two streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Better yet, park on the city limits and commute, save the time and money...oh, and the environment.

I have been to a few places in this world and Waterford City have a pretty good transport system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Better yet, park on the city limits and commute, save the time and money...oh, and the environment.

I have been to a few places in this world and Waterford City have a pretty good transport system.

Well I would say he/she does not want to park a mile away from their house, its the said persons home and obviously wants to park near the house with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

You think you have it tough? Back when I were lad, we'd park 15 miles from house and walk every day, 3 times, with calf on back.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cb123

Maybe it sounds like a bit of a first world problem, but in the last year I've had my car burnt out along with a smashed windscreen and not forgetting my poor side mirrors, they've (as in both) had their fair share of kicking in the last 12 months!

I want the car near my house, and because it's close to the shopping center there are cameras in a few places, so it's a little bit of a weight off my shoulders!

Think I shall take Birds advice and pop into the council and see if anything can be done. I wonder thought am I wasting my time, has anyone else tried to get more than two streets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Why would you park miles from your house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you live near city square? when I lived in gladstone st, I learned after the first year to put the quay on the permit as even though there were only 4 car owners living in the street, all spaces were always full!
    Best you can hope for ostensible by putting a long street on the permit, you can move your car after the shops have closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Do you live near city square? when I lived in gladstone st, I learned after the first year to put the quay on the permit as even though there were only 4 car owners living in the street, all spaces were always full!
    Best you can hope for is by putting a long street on the permit, you can move your car after the shops have closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

michellie wrote: »
    Why would you park miles from your house ?

Good question. I'd like to know the reason for that suggestion.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Good question. I'd like to know the reason for that suggestion.

I dunno, all I can think of is that the poster things I'm some lazy bitch wanting to park outside my house after a long day. They wouldn't say that to someone if they came home and there driveway was full, there would be outrage!

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Best you can hope for is by putting a long street on the permit, you can move your car after the shops have closed.

I do indeed! I put my street and Catherine street, hoping that having a long street would guarantee a parking space but that hasn't worked out, there is never a space! Might have to opt for the Quay like you said, but I think since all the remodeling of the Quay there seems to be fewer spaces.

Hoping people have decided to park on my street as there are roadworks going on on the Quay...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

cb123 wrote: »
    The parking situation in Waterford city has actually gotten to the point where is now affects what I do and when. Is anyone else having any trouble?

In the last few weeks the streets that I have permission to park on with my parking permit are constantly full. It used to be grand, my main street is a very busy one as I am right in the center so I understand that parking can be a nightmare during the day or late on a Friday evening, and I had come to terms with that. I don't mind paying for an hours parking here or there until the shops close and then I move my car, but these days when I go to move my car the streets are full, which I can't understand, because there is only two houses on my street occupied. The council have obviously given out a load of parking permits for a street that can only accommodate 7 cars and even though my second street is a lot bigger it is more of a residential area so there is always full too. I need my car, but it's ridiculous that I dread using it because I might not get a parking spot when I return.

Any advice on what I should do? I can't keep parking on streets that I have to pay for, and having to return every two hours to put more money in, I have had a look around the place and all the streets seem pretty full at night so I don't think changing streets will help either!

True about council probably. Thats a bummer cb123, i had same issue when I lived near city centre, didnt need parking permits for my old street which made it worse, Novena nights were awful as I used to get home from working in Cork late so the novena was on and had to practically park a mile away. Made it even more frustrating next morning when going back to Cork again that I had to walk that mile again to get to the car. Even worse, I pass up Greyfriars way everyday and the 3 residents of the 3 houses up there must be in a worse situation, yet I have only once in about 2 years seen fines on cars for parking illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Parking permit gives you permission to park in a street without paying the hourly rate, it does not guarantee you a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I do indeed! I put my street and Catherine street, hoping that having a long street would guarantee a parking space but that hasn't worked out, there is never a space! Might have to opt for the Quay like you said, but I think since all the remodeling of the Quay there seems to be fewer spaces.

Hoping people have decided to park on my street as there are roadworks going on on the Quay...

If Catherine Street is ok for you why not try the Waterside, always spaces there

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

invalid wrote: »
    Parking permit gives you permission to park in a street without paying the hourly rate, it does not guarantee you a space.

Parking permits are for residents of steets and there is a yearly flat fee yes but I think it there should be a certain number of spaces allocated for resisdents on their road. That way people who are not out all day have parking while still providing parking for other uses who can pay for the hours they need.

No but it does not allow for people who park there all day long who do not have a ticket or their car or just paid for an hour and chancing their arm.

Why should residents who are already paying for parking on or near their street have to pay twice?

I know for a fact of certain residential areas in this city where residents cannot park outside their own houses for days on end due to inconsiderate people coming into city and leaving their cars there with no tickets. Parking wardens need to do more of a walk about then just The Quay and city center area.

Very unfair and if situation was reversed I can tell you they be the first ones out causing uproar. A fiend of mine has same problem on her street there should only be 3 - 4 cars max but she can never get a space even late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Wow, theres a lot of speculation has to why I suggested to park and commute,

I hope my explanation lives up to expectation,

1) Highlight the transport system available in Waterford City ( as mentioned 1 of the best I have ever seen available )

2)If you live in the City, why not park your car at Aldi ( for example ) and walk or catch a bus. I'm sure if you approached the garage they would work out a monthly fee that would presumably be cheaper then paying by the hour, fines incurred.

invalid wrote: »

I agree with you to a point, especially during the day. I consider myself lucky if I get a spot during the day but I think it shouldn't be a struggle to find one in the evening when the shops close etc. The council have obviously lost count of the permits.

libra02 wrote: »
    cars max but she can never get a space even late at night.

That's the other issue I have, where I live isn't always the safest so it would be nice if I didn't have to walk through the city center at night. Parking outside is safer for both me and my car.

Wow, theres a lot of speculation has to why I suggested to park and commute,

I hope my explanation lives up to expectation,

1) Highlight the transport system available in Waterford City ( as mentioned 1 of the best I have ever seen available )

2)If you live in the City, why not park your car at Aldi ( for example ) and walk or catch a bus. I'm sure if you approached the garage they would work out a monthly fee that would presumably be cheaper then paying by the hour, fines incurred.

But that would cost me more, I would have to pay a monthly fee and the bus fare, and what about the times I get home after midnight and the buses have stopped? Walk by myself back to the city center.... grab a cab, it just makes life more complicated, and dangerous, I don't particularly want to be in a car park on the outskirts of town by myself

thomasm wrote: »
    If Catherine Street is ok for you why not try the Waterside, always spaces there

I do occasionally but I don't particularly like that carpark, seems dodgy especially on a Thurs/Fri/Sat night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I do occasionally but I don't particularly like that carpark, seems dodgy especially on a Thurs/Fri/Sat night.

Parking nearer the Catherine St side of the Waterside is safe I think. Never had any issues

Advertisement