Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property vacancies in Galway mapped

Options
  • 19-09-2012 7:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭

Remember the Census in April 2011?
    NUIM have used the data on ghost estates and vacant properties in the country and mapped it. You can zoom in and see what the vacancy rate for properties is in your neighbourhood on that night.
    I'm not sure how to interpret it tbh, either way I find it fascinating.

Some notable points are:
    Whitestrand Park where 31 out of 109 housing units were vacant
    part of Lower Salthill 32/104
    part of Gleann Dara 30/114
    Knocknacarra Road 41/146
    Leas na Mara 48/129
    Lough Atalia Road/part College Road 60/170
    Sceilig Ard 45/190
    parts of the city centre near Eyre Square have 25%-37% vacancy
    the area between Dominck Street and the Corrib has 95 units of which 44 were vacant!

http://airomaps.nuim.ie/flexviewer/?config=vacantireland.xml

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Burglars are going to love this...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

J o e wrote: »
    Of course, they are passionate about GIS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

J o e wrote: »

yes... because there is sooo much worth robbing in an empty house...

I'd imagine it's far more likely to be of use to squaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

whats the deal with the houses across the road from the graveyard on the bohemore. about 10 or so houses, 6 look there been used and 4 seem boarded up

swiftman wrote: »
    whats the deal with the houses across the road from the graveyard on the bohemore. about 10 or so houses, 6 look there been used and 4 seem boarded up
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056199036
    Some developer went bust,
    Tom McEvaddy, who has since moved to the UK...to set up another construction company.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/8944-builder-blames-banks-firm-collapses-owing-%E2%82%AC12m
    So, I think some bank owns them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 JackyJoe

Just because no one is in them does not mean the robbing ass holes wont break in. Imagine an empty house, full of copper pipes, cylinder,stainless steel sinks and lead in the attic, etc etc.The price of scrap metal I believe is good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Lookit. The Census was done on a Sunday night in early april .

Those are student rental areas and the students were at home with the mammy in many cases and came back monday morning.

Had the census been done on a tuesday night it would have been different. :)

Go to the http://census.cso.ie/sapmap/ Sapmap and see how many students were in those areas at the time...may seem a tad low. :)

Yeah, that had occured to me.
    But you would'nt expect all students in all houses to vacate for the weekend...unless they are deliberately trying to bolster the population in their little hamlet?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    ...unless they are deliberately trying to bolster the population in their little hamlet?

Their mammies might well be doing just that. (Most student buses come back to Galway on Sunday evening, so I'd expect the students to be back in their student beds by census time.)

Also, I have no evidence, but anecdotally there was a lot of talk in Galway about simply refusing to complete the census: people saying "sure they already know where I am, why do I have to fill out yet another form." I tried to point out to to a few the census figures are important for planning things like hospital services, but basically deaf ears were closed. Personally I suspect it has a lot to do with the literacy rate ....

Advertisement