Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on what fees to charge for online marketing consultant

Options
  • 19-09-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Long time reader, first time poster...

I worked in an online consultancy for two and a half years and went travelling for a year, since being back I have been approached by an old client to do some contract work with them, three months.

I literally have no idea what to charge. People have been telling me to charge more as it only for three months. But there is an option to continue working with them offsite once I am finished the three months so don't want to shot myself in the foot.

I have been suggested €11,250 for three months. That's like €45,000 a year...

Is this a ridiculous price to be going in with? It's €10,000 more then when I was working full time but this time I am fully accountable with no one to fall back on.

Thanking you in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Will you be PAYE or self employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jackhammer7

Will you be PAYE or self employed?
    That's another issue I have! Trying to figure that one out now and which is best from a tax pov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Probably best to figure out what you would earn if you were working for them full time and then add a premium to that to make up for not getting holiday pay, having job security, etc. Also I think they save 10.75% on not having to pay a contractors PRSI as they aren't an employee but I'm open to correction on that.

If it is full time and you're going to add significant value to their marketing and sales efforts and can demonstrate this then a pro-rata rate of €40-45k per annum is probably within the ball park.

You could go in cheaper than that to ensure you get the work but then have a bonus structure where by you get an extra 5% for reaching X target, 10% for Y target, etc. Just make sure to get any arrangement on paper and ensure that the target is measurable and verifiable, such as improving the SEO to get a better website ranking on Google, improving their conversion rates for pay per click, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Did your old employer charge hourly rates for your advice?

Advertisement