Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kxf seized kickstart??help/info

• 19-09-2012 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here,
    Bought my first dirtbike 3 months ago and the other day the kickstart seized So I'm looking for any kind of info on this, (i.e. what problem could be, who is best person/place to fix it, cost that could be involved etc)
    The full story is I was riding it for a few hours and the chain came off about five times, on the last time the chain came off the bike cut out and the kickstart had seized, on further inspection I found that it had no coolant in it either
    P.s it's a 2005 kxf 250

Thanks in advance for any responses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

You've given your engine a roasting. Sounds like the engine is seized.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 collins8811

You've given your engine a roasting. Sounds like the engine is seized.

I know I only recently topped the coolant up though, and I warm the bike up and let it cool after rising for a while, do you know what could be needing fixed and a rough price? Think it needs a piston and valves done

Take the plug out and see if it will turn over.

Take the plug out and see if it will turn over.

Cheers for the advice paddy, I'll do it this evening,
    You mean the spark plug?
    What will it mean of it does turn? Or if it doesn't?

Yes the spark plug. If it won't turn over then either something is broke inside or it has heat seized, either way its a strip down to diagnose.
    If it does turn over you may be lucky, try pushing it in top gear with the plug out, to see if the piston is moving, it could be as simple as a spring on the kickstart.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

And if the chain keeps coming off its probably worn out or needs adjusting. But that could be the least of your worries. Check out the engine first.

Gave the bike a jumpstart and she started and unseized the kickstart, turns out its also about 3/4's full of coolant also so I didn't fry it,
    It's still knocking in 3rd gear though so I think I'll be buying a manual and changing the clutch and gearbox soon just to be sure
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

if you are stripping it to change the gearbox, i'd suggest taking it to someone that know's what they are doing. Modern 4 strokes are not the easiest things to work on. To save a bit of money you could remove the engine from the bike, but by the sounds of things I would't recommend you strip it by yourself

Advertisement