Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to eat near or in Ucd after 7

Options
  • 19-09-2012 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

New to UCD,Anyone know of places to get a hot dinner after seven?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭cozzie55

acturage wrote: »

Cheers,

Possibly O'sheas in clonskeagh. But it might only be pub grub at that hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

cozzie55 wrote: »
    Possibly O'sheas in clonskeagh. But it might only be pub grub at that hour

Not a bad pint either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

The 105 on Clonskeagh Road is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mix_Tape

The food in UCD is diabolical. For the largest university in Ireland, it is a terrible reflection of the University and the SU to have such poor choice and standard of cafes and restaurants. The quality of food on offer is the equivalent of what you would be offered from a chip van. In order to have a vibrant campus, it is imperative to offer an alternative to dull, unimaginative and low quality places in which students and staff can spend their social time outside of lectures. In my short time at UCD, I been hugely disappointed and disenchanted as a direct result of the lack of imagination that has been afforded to building anything which resembles an academic community on the UCD campus.

Not to mention, no bar(s). :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Mix_Tape wrote: »
    The food in UCD is diabolical. For the largest university in Ireland, it is a terrible reflection of the University and the SU to have such poor choice and standard of cafes and restaurants. The quality of food on offer is the equivalent of what you would be offered from a chip van. In order to have a vibrant campus, it is imperative to offer an alternative to dull, unimaginative and low quality places in which students and staff can spend their social time outside of lectures. In my short time at UCD, I been hugely disappointed and disenchanted as a direct result of the lack of imagination that has been afforded to building anything which resembles an academic community on the UCD campus.

What exactly were you expecting?
    By all standards the food isn't wonderful, but it isn't **** - canteen food is what it is. They offer a fairly good variety of standard Irish fare, but International students might find it very limited.
    From what I heard, the restaurant has changed hands, so menus may change again.

Maldesu wrote: »
    What exactly were you expecting?

I suppose, why have any expectations at all if that's the case. Just a mere acceptance that you should spend a number of years on a dull campus which does nothing to engender a sense of community.

Maybe if the University had a competent SU and a board with vision, the people who spend their time on campus, students & staff, would have a more enjoyable and creative place to spend their academic lives.

Breaking the monopoly Kylemore has on the catering in Belfield is surely one obvious step. How difficult would it genuinely be to offer incentives to independent retailers and coffeeshops to set up a business in the largest University in Ireland. Surely, in a place where great minds are supposed to meet, there should be some potential for creating an environment where everybody would enjoy spending their time. As it stands, it's frozen chips and chicken nuggets. Bland, uninspiring menus in bland uninspiring surroundings.

The best advise is to bring in a packed lunch, hope it doesn't rain and sit outdoors. :(

I suppose, why have any expectations at all if that's the case. Just a mere acceptance that you should spend a number of years on a dull campus which does nothing to engender a sense of community.

Maybe if the University had a competent SU and a board with vision, the people who spend their time on campus, students & staff, would have a more enjoyable and creative place to spend their academic lives.

Considering the students vote in the SU, you have only the students to blame. AFAIK, the restaurant is put to tender by the Uni anyway, so I'm not sure what influence the SU has.

Breaking the monopoly Kylemore has on the catering in Belfield is surely one obvious step. How difficult would it genuinely be to offer incentives to independent retailers and coffeeshops to set up a business in the largest University in Ireland. Surely, in a place where great minds are supposed to meet, there should be some potential for creating an environment where everybody would enjoy spending their time. As it stands, it's frozen chips and chicken nuggets. Bland, uninspiring menus in bland uninspiring surroundings.

The Uni is a business. If Kylemore offer a product at a low cost at semi reasonable quality who can supply the demand, they win. Most independents cannot compete either by cost or supply. Feeding a Uni is no small task.

It's not all frozen chips or chicken nuggets. There are roasts, veg, soups, salads, pastas, rice, veggie dishes, cold meats and fish. Sambos are widely available and can be prepared fresh - That's just the restaurant. Other cafes offer various products.

While the frozen chips and nuggets may not be to your taste, you'll find that a lot of students are happy to eat that every day. Its cheap, fast and easy to sell, so its a good earner for a Uni.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Considering the students vote in the SU, you have only the students to blame. AFAIK, the restaurant is put to tender by the Uni anyway, so I'm not sure what influence the SU has.

The Uni is a business. If Kylemore offer a product at a low cost at semi reasonable quality who can supply the demand, they win. Most independents cannot compete either by cost or supply. Feeding a Uni is no small task.

It's not all frozen chips or chicken nuggets. There are roasts, veg, soups, salads, pastas, rice, veggie dishes, cold meats and fish. Sambos are widely available and can be prepared fresh - That's just the restaurant. Other cafes offer various products.

While the frozen chips and nuggets may not be to your taste, you'll find that a lot of students are happy to eat that every day. Its cheap, fast and easy to sell, so its a good earner for a Uni.

A lot of students are happy to eat it because a lot of students are hungry and it's all that's on offer. If the absolutely only defence you can propose is that it's cheap, well then you yourself are a classic example of the lack of imagination that seems to be pervasive throughout UCD. I fail to accept that the status quo is the best the University and it's 20 odd thousand students can reasonably expect. Maybe it's what they deserve. Because, evidently, no generation of UCD students or staff have possessed the creativity or determination to think of an alternative. I also fail to accept that it makes absolutely any business sense whatsoever. Are you saying that a dull, uninspiring campus with a monopoly controlled catering services, no licensed premises makes more economic sense or has more economic potential than a vibrant campus with independent retailers who are helping create a community where people would spend time and money inside and outside of college. I fail to see the logic. Anyway, you're entitled to your opinion as I am to mine. I stand by my statement that the quality and choice of food and non-existence of a licensed premises is diabolical for what is the largest university in the country. It's appalling that the SU seem to be completely uninterested in doing anything to improve the quality and choice of services available to the student body and build a student community in general.:(

You still didn't say what you expected. Mainly spoke about how the restaurant isn't more socially acceptable to you. Is the food poorly cooked, badly prepared?

The dull, uninspiring campus isn't food related, but it's not supposed to be party central or have Louis Vuitton at the corner of Food Sci and the Hub. Same with the alcohol - its doesn't have a positive effect on study, so many uni's choose not to offer a bar.

If you want to sort the SU, I believe they are looking for student reps and the like. Applications close tomorrow. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

The best advise is to bring in a packed lunch, hope it doesn't rain and sit outdoors. :(

How was the gourmet experience pre-kylmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

I must say having been to other campuses in the world UCD has a dreadful selection of food places, for such a large university it is awful. One particular campus I was on once had an international food court with a selection of Chinese, Indian, Turkish, Italian, and Japanese food along with a couple of coffee places which was all of quite a good standard.

There is zero variety to food in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

acturage wrote: »

Cheers,

I like the Goat Grill in Goatstown. I must admit though, I only ever went there when my dad brought me, so I have no idea if it is good value for money or not given I didn't foot the bill (I was a scabby yoke!) :o

Kournikova wrote: »
    I must say having been to other campuses in the world UCD has a dreadful selection of food places, for such a large university it is awful. One particular campus I was on once had an international food court with a selection of Chinese, Indian, Turkish, Italian, and Japanese food along with a couple of coffee places which was all of quite a good standard.

There is zero variety to food in UCD.

At last, some common sense. Some people seem that entrenched in their UCD identity that can't even bring themselves to admit that the variety and quality of eating outlets is appalling. I'm only in the university a few weeks (I was in uni in the UK for a year) but I cannot understand how the student body doesn't seem to mind that the quality of service they are being offered is actually an insult to even a reasonably educated mind. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Breaking the monopoly Kylemore has on the catering in Belfield is surely one obvious step. How difficult would it genuinely be to offer incentives to independent retailers and coffeeshops to set up a business in the largest University in Ireland.

Up until very recently there were. Offering an exclusive contract to Kylemore is a recent development, and one I presume netted the college more income than from the individual retailers, which it sorely needs in the current climate.

Edit: Oh, and every reopened Kylmeore outlet has been damn near identical to the place it replaced, in my experience, with the one exception that the place in the library now do crepes, and don't have as good donuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I agree with a lot of what you say mix tape, but to be fair, the international student building does half decent grub. Everywhere else is as you described it.

The SU is a fupping disgrace at serving the students, I expect nothing from them except incompetence and inefficiency. 1.8million debt with 900k funding a year and a monopoly on bar and shop in biggest university in Ireland and somehow making a loss says it all.

The campus is a dull and uninspiring place also, but in fairness they're making an effort to fix that, and the new student centre and sports facility are excellent.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you say mix tape, but to be fair, the international student building does half decent grub. Everywhere else is as you described it.

The SU is a fupping disgrace at serving the students, I expect nothing from them except incompetence and inefficiency. 1.8million debt with 900k funding a year and a monopoly on bar and shop in biggest university in Ireland and somehow making a loss says it all.

The campus is a dull and uninspiring place also, but in fairness they're making an effort to fix that, and the new student centre and sports facility are excellent.

I totally agree with you in regards to the new student centre and sports facilities. They're excellent and, to be honest, what one should reasonably expect of the largest university in the country.

As an incoming student however, it does appear that little has been done by way of engendering a community feel to the campus over the years. I don't mean to sound too disparaging of the SU as I have very little experience of them. Anecdotal evidence however would lead one to conclude that they have done very little, if anything, to try and influence policy that influences the quality of campus & variety of services available to the student body. Considering there appears to be somewhat of a docile acceptance surrounding issues that could be very easily changed, it's hardly surprising they don't feel compelled to use their voice more effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

I just want a bar back on campus. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭III

I totally agree with you in regards to the new student centre and sports facilities. They're excellent and, to be honest, what one should reasonably expect of the largest university in the country.

As an incoming student however, it does appear that little has been done by way of engendering a community feel to the campus over the years. I don't mean to sound too disparaging of the SU as I have very little experience of them. Anecdotal evidence however would lead one to conclude that they have done very little, if anything, to try and influence policy that influences the quality of campus & variety of services available to the student body. Considering there appears to be somewhat of a docile acceptance surrounding issues that could be very easily changed, it's hardly surprising they don't feel compelled to use their voice more effectively.

You're a gimp, just like 95% of all UCD students. What happened to going down to the chipper after your 6 o'clock and then getting a pint with the buachaillí? Oh wait, you're an "educated mind". Well piss off.

OP you're being a tit. Get a roll out of Centra or go down to L'ecrivain and get a Canard à la Rouennaise with a side of croutons, you absolute mong.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

III wrote: »
    You're a gimp, just like 95% of all UCD students. What happened to going down to the chipper after your 6 o'clock and then getting a pint with the buachaillí? Oh wait, you're an "educated mind". Well piss off.

OP you're being a tit. Get a roll out of Centra or go down to L'ecrivain and get a Canard à la Rouennaise with a side of croutons, you absolute mong.

III. Wait, is that the degree you're going to receive? :D:D:D

Op I'd say a bar's yur best bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

III wrote: »

No body reply to this post after now, please. The user has been banned for a week, and that's the end of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you cook stuff yourself and bring it in, there are microwaves in the Veterinary and Engineering buildings

Advertisement