Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash For Gold Shops

Options
  • 19-09-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think these shops need to be closed down or at least highly regulated.
    I've seen lads, who I know to be thieving little fcukers, call into these shops to cash in their nights "earnings".
    How easy is it for scum like this to get rid of what they have stolen from houses around the city and county.
    If at least the shops only took in items that had receipts on them then it might make it harder for the scum to get rid of their haul.
    It makes me blood boil to think of it.
    What are yer thoughts on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

they cant close them down anyway, its perfectly legit. Its up to the garda to catch the thief's not the shop owners/employees imo.

funny story involving these gold for cash shops. Around a year ago I moved into a falt and my tv broke while moving my stuff, I wasnt working at the time and i was baiscally flat broke and genuinally couldnt afford a tv.

Found an old gold chain and necklace that was given to me by uncle about 2 years previous, so me being very desperate decided to chance my arm and ended up getting something like 700 euros (had no idea it was proper gold :o) needless to say i got a big ass telly that day !! a 42" bad boy with the works that i still have today :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Or the scumbags could stop stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I definitely think that there should be a legal requirement to provide vaild id (passport or Garda Age Card) before you can sell the items. The shop owner should then be obliged to take a photocopy of this id, and have a record (digital and physical) of each transaction, especially for the more expensive items.

It definitely needs to be regulated more.

@mufcboy1999: it is the Gardas job to catch the criminal, but not to recover the property, that is just a bonus should it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I definitely think that there should be a legal requirement to provide vaild id (passport or Garda Age Card) before you can sell the items. The shop owner should then be obliged to take a photocopy of this id, and have a record (digital and physical) of each transaction, especially for the more expensive items.
    It definitely needs to be regulated more.

This ^^^^^^^^^^.
    It's to easy to "GET RID" of items in these shops. There should be proper procedures in place before you can sell "YOUR" items

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

When Cash Converters opened up first you did have to provide picture ID and they kept a record on their computer.

Makes you wonder why they changed this requirement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Id love to see some figures regarding house break ins/thefts since these places opened. I have no doubts that these shops are responsible for the amount of break ins we are having in the last few years. Its too easy money for scum.

Just because its legal now doesnt mean it cant be made illegal. Headshops were legal and now are gone. The damage they did to society is nothing compared to the damage these shops are doing albeit indirectly. Scum wont rob gold and jewellery if they cant offload it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

have they changed the requirement for ID while taking in goods? As far as I know, whenever there is a break in and items missing, the gardai DO call these shops with a list of what is missing

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I was sure they took ID for anything and made you sign for them........Even for dvds!

This should be what they do, it is completely fair. I am not sure how they would further regulate it, but I agree, it is sad the scum have used them as an outlet.

I'm sure they have the same kind of protocol as they do in the scrapyard when you bring in copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I sold a spare microwave in the one on the quay a few months back, didnt get asked for anything...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Edz87 wrote: »
    I'm sure they have the same kind of protocol as they do in the scrapyard when you bring in copper.

Which is? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Was never in one. Do u get the cash straight away when you bring stuff in or what's the deal as I'm doing a big clear out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Seen one of the local sumbags Girlfriends in the cash for gold shop a few weeks back selling an engagement ring.

Not a thing was asked of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The best thing to do is for the shop not to pay out until 48hrs lapse.

That way any thief will not be as confident to sell their nightly takings.

wobbles wrote: »
    Id love to see some figures regarding house break ins/thefts since these places opened. I have no doubts that these shops are responsible for the amount of break ins we are having in the last few years. Its too easy money for scum.

Just because its legal now doesnt mean it cant be made illegal. Headshops were legal and now are gone. The damage they did to society is nothing compared to the damage these shops are doing albeit indirectly. Scum wont rob gold and jewellery if they cant offload it

So there was no such thing as break-ins until Cash for Gold shops came along?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

When Cash Converters opened up first you did have to provide picture ID and they kept a record on their computer.

Makes you wonder why they changed this requirement?
    Greg that worked there was a tool lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    So there was no such thing as break-ins until Cash for Gold shops came along?

Of course, there would not be less break ins if there was no Cash for Gold shops, but I think the point is that it's a lot easier for a burglar to offload them when they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

Not holding a copy of the ID and pictures of the Gold for some month's is just supporting the burglars.
    Full Stop.
    They would do this voluntary if they would like to work long therm with a decent reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

That gold is melted down in less than a day.

A criminal can start up a cash for gold shop tomorrow no questions asked. They already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 itsmichelle

I work in a gold buying shop for the past two and a half years and from day one we have had a procedure in place to reduce the sale of stolen items. We had this procedure in place way before it became a legal requirement.

This is how it works:

1/. We inspect the items and weigh them and offer the client a price
    2/. if you want to sell-you will be asked for ID (a passport, a PPs number, a drivers license, or a bill with a name and address may be accepted-sometimes we will ask for two forms of ID)
    3/. We write down all your details-name, address, phone number, the weight of the gold and the price you were given, the time of purchase, the date and your signature. We keep one receipt and give the customer the other
    4/. Then your cash will be counted out to you
    5/. If we suspect that the items are stolen-we do not buy them (I have turned plenty of young lads away who were 18/19 selling a ring or earrings etc.

Unless you have actually walked into one our stores and sold an item-then you have no right to pass judgement or accuse us of anything.

people have been stealing since the beginning of time, they have always had a place to sell their stolen goods-always and they always will even if we close down our stores.

Blame the thieves, the people who break into your home and steal your stuff. How is that our fault? Its just passing the blame. Our company is providing over 150 people with jobs. Its a legit service that is there for people who want to get rid of old, broken, damaged gold that they no longer wear and they get a very good price for it. It also helps people who are struggling to pay their bills. I have had people cry their eyes out to me coz they cannot pay their freaking mortgage and they are thankful that they have somewhere to sell their items without being judged.

A lot of people are surprised when they walk in here. They are expecting some seedy dirty pawn shop with some fat old slob barking at them behind the desk. They are pleasantly surprised to see a bright, airy, clean office, with friendly, professional, highly trained staff and most people are shocked with the price they get and they leave here delighted normally with a smile on their face.

Believe it or not most of my customers are middle aged women-not drug addicts or teenage boys or young thieves. Plenty of people sell stuff they got from an ex. 95% of our customers are very nice people who seem genuine. Id be very surprised if the items were stolen.

We also have cameras and we can look back through them to identify anyone who seems suspicious. Like I said already we have the date and time of purchase recorded so we can look back at that person in seconds if the police come and ask for help.

Yes there are some shady, dodgy gold buying companies-i will not deny that but do not tar us all with the same brush. Our company is top class and I am proud to work here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kennryyr

I work in a gold buying shop for the past two and a half years and from day one we have had a procedure in place to reduce the sale of stolen items. We had this procedure in place way before it became a legal requirement.

This is how it works:

1/. We inspect the items and weigh them and offer the client a price
    2/. if you want to sell-you will be asked for ID (a passport, a PPs number, a drivers license, or a bill with a name and address may be accepted-sometimes we will ask for two forms of ID)
    3/. We write down all your details-name, address, phone number, the weight of the gold and the price you were given, the time of purchase, the date and your signature. We keep one receipt and give the customer the other
    4/. Then your cash will be counted out to you
    5/. If we suspect that the items are stolen-we do not buy them (I have turned plenty of young lads away who were 18/19 selling a ring or earrings etc.

Unless you have actually walked into one our stores and sold an item-then you have no right to pass judgement or accuse us of anything.

people have been stealing since the beginning of time, they have always had a place to sell their stolen goods-always and they always will even if we close down our stores.

Blame the thieves, the people who break into your home and steal your stuff. How is that our fault? Its just passing the blame. Our company is providing over 150 people with jobs. Its a legit service that is there for people who want to get rid of old, broken, damaged gold that they no longer wear and they get a very good price for it. It also helps people who are struggling to pay their bills. I have had people cry their eyes out to me coz they cannot pay their freaking mortgage and they are thankful that they have somewhere to sell their items without being judged.

A lot of people are surprised when they walk in here. They are expecting some seedy dirty pawn shop with some fat old slob barking at them behind the desk. They are pleasantly surprised to see a bright, airy, clean office, with friendly, professional, highly trained staff and most people are shocked with the price they get and they leave here delighted normally with a smile on their face.

Believe it or not most of my customers are middle aged women-not drug addicts or teenage boys or young thieves. Plenty of people sell stuff they got from an ex. 95% of our customers are very nice people who seem genuine. Id be very surprised if the items were stolen.

We also have cameras and we can look back through them to identify anyone who seems suspicious. Like I said already we have the date and time of purchase recorded so we can look back at that person in seconds if the police come and ask for help.

Yes there are some shady, dodgy gold buying companies-i will not deny that but do not tar us all with the same brush. Our company is top class and I am proud to work here

So which Cash for Gold chain do you run?

My advice is to stay away from stores that look unprofessional. You know the bright yellow tacky looking ones that look like a cardboard box? Stay away from small companies that only have a few stores also as they will screw you with the price. Look for the BIG companies that have been around a long time, that have TV adds, radio etc, that have professional looking staff in suits etc

If you want to bitch and whine about some of these companies-be more specific please. Everyone calls them cash for gold shops or gold buying shops and think we are all one, all the same. We are not. There are tons of different companies with different names and each one is run by different people. Some are perfectly legit, some are not. But dont tar us all the same

I will remain anonymous and not reveal the company as I dont want to draw unwanted attention on us. Lets just say we have never had a bad word written or said about us so far and Id like to keep it that way. I only work here, I dont run it.

Media999 wrote: »
    That gold is melted down in less than a day.

A criminal can start up a cash for gold shop tomorrow no questions asked. They already have.

Its actually melted weekly-monthly where I work. None of the gold is melted in store. Its shipped out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So if we close down these shops, people will stop robbing? lol

How about we ban gold? That might cut down the on burglaries as well

So if we close down these shops, people will stop robbing? lol

How about we ban gold? That might cut down the on burglaries as well

Or better again, why don't we just ban burglaries? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Or better again, why don't we just ban burglaries? :)

I hate seeing ordinary people wanting stuff banned, there are enough things in this world banned for ****ty reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

My advice is to stay away from stores that look unprofessional. You know the bright yellow tacky looking ones that look like a cardboard box? Stay away from small companies that only have a few stores also as they will screw you with the price. Look for the BIG companies that have been around a long time, that have TV adds, radio etc, that have professional looking staff in suits etc

If you want to bitch and whine about some of these companies-be more specific please. Everyone calls them cash for gold shops or gold buying shops and think we are all one, all the same. We are not. There are tons of different companies with different names and each one is run by different people. Some are perfectly legit, some are not. But dont tar us all the same
    just because ye might wear a suit means nothing!! the best conmen wear suits! look at bertie ahern shur he's a fine example of a conman in a suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

just because ye might wear a suit means nothing!! the best conmen wear suits! look at bertie ahern shur he's a fine example of a conman in a suit

exactly. ban suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

exactly. ban suits.
    well said or highly tax em haha

Advertisement