Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Evac101 wrote: »
    Slightly more expensive @ €37 but with the Flames of the Inquisition/ DLC included.
    I purchased this one. It doesn't seem to allow me to preload the game. Am I missing something?

edit: They only give you the key on the release day, so it can't be preloaded.

edit 2: Asked for refund. Responsive and polite customer support told me I'll have my card refunded within 5 days. (Offered credit first but were grand when I said I needed it refunded to my card.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Regarding the Tapestry website, can anyone tell me if the Dragon Age 2 section of the video is really short? I made all the choices in the main page, but it only briefly talked about DA2 and what happened...didn't go into any specifics about companions, choices etc...

Just not sure if it messed up, or if it's supposed to be that short.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Kiith wrote: »
    Regarding the Tapestry website, can anyone tell me if the Dragon Age 2 section of the video is really short? I made all the choices in the main page, but it only briefly talked about DA2 and what happened...didn't go into any specifics about companions, choices etc...

Think some of the videos don't work properly still as it is still in beta, which doesn't seem like changing with the launch tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Go onto the tapestry itself rather than the video it's a lot of stuff broken up into chapters of the game.

Yeah, i changed every decision, but it just didn't seem to go into much detail in the video/story part of it. Ah well, i can...vaguely...remember what happened in DA2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

My video didn't work at all, but I wouldn't worry about the video. It is a summary only after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Is the physical release of this out here tomorrow or Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Is the physical release of this out here tomorrow or Friday?

Friday. Will be picking it up myself, then I won't be able to play it for a while as I'm at Eirtakon until Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Cina wrote: »
    It's on the new denurom encryption thing so won't be getting cracked anytime soon.

aye, but beware there are reports of the new DRM raping SSD drives

have a look here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934459

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Amazon are delivering on Friday, mine is going to Parcel Motel, so fingers crossed it comes Saturday!

kingtiger wrote: »
    aye, but beware there are reports of the new DRM raping SSD drives

have a look here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=934459

These reports have been rubbished afaik. Only a single user posted this, using a hard drive that already looked pretty wrecked. Others on reddit have since tested it without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

These reports have been rubbished afaik. Only a single user posted this, using a hard drive that already looked pretty wrecked. Others on reddit have since tested it without any issues.

I have been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition since Monday evening and I have not experienced any problems like those described in that post. The game plays very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Falthyron wrote: »
    I have been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition since Monday evening and I have not experienced any problems like those described in that post. The game plays very well!

Having not played Dragon Age before I have one question, has it lived up to the hype??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

GerB40 wrote: »
    Having not played Dragon Age before I have one question, has it lived up to the hype??

As you have not played Dragon Age before, and therefore have nothing to compare it to apart from other fantasy RPGs, I reckon you might enjoy it that little bit more than the rest of us. This game is massive. I have never played Skyrim but I have heard of how there is so much to do and see. Well, Dragon Age feels much the same and while I enjoy the great sense of adventure, a part of me feels overwhelmed by everything. :P First world problems, eh?

One thing I have noticed is the cutscenes; they seem to stutter or dip in performance when they are playing, but gameplay is incredibly smooth. I hope this can be fixed with a patch.

Not hours, but days and possibly weeks will be sunk into this game...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

One thing I have noticed is the cutscenes; they seem to stutter or dip in performance when they are playing, but gameplay is incredibly smooth. I hope this can be fixed with a patch.

Yeah the cutscenes stutter a fair bit but overall as you said its incredibly smooth like sexy butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

put the sexy butter down or you'll destroy the keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

meh, another 24 hours wait for me .. /twiddles thumbs

As you have not played Dragon Age before, and therefore have nothing to compare it to apart from other fantasy RPGs, I reckon you might enjoy it that little bit more than the rest of us. This game is massive. I have never played Skyrim but I have heard of how there is so much to do and see. Well, Dragon Age feels much the same and while I enjoy the great sense of adventure, a part of me feels overwhelmed by everything. :P First world problems, eh?

I was pretty much obsessed with Skyrim until my PS3 decided to be a massive pick and give up the ghost..

I'm really excited about Dragon Age 3 and it looks like my dream game.. Can't ****ing wait :)

Is it possible to play as a stealthy sneak thief/assassin? That was my favourite part of Skyrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Playing on PC. Seems to work much better with a controller, the M/KB controls feel really awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

I was pretty much obsessed with Skyrim until my PS3 decided to be a massive pick and give up the ghost..

I'm really excited about Dragon Age 3 and it looks like my dream game.. Can't ****ing wait :)

Is it possible to play as a stealthy sneak thief/assassin? That was my favourite part of Skyrim.

Don't go into it expecting a skyrim clone, it's nowhere near as free roaming as skyrim. It's a more focused story game with large areas to explore, but you really don't have the freedom to go anywhere and talk to anyone like you do in Skyrim. Still a very good game, but if you played the first dragon age then you'll know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Is it true that enemies in the game scale with the player level? Hate games that do this and to be honest its abit of a deal breaker on buying it or not...

Anyone can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Is it true that enemies in the game scale with the player level? Hate games that do this and to be honest its abit of a deal breaker on buying it or not...

Anyone can confirm?

Oops.
    Unlike Dragon Age II, very little of the content in Inquisition is scaled to the player’s level. That means that some parts of the world will have enemies that are too difficult to defeat until you reach a certain level. This approach conveys a satisfying sense of progress; few things in an RPG are more rewarding than finally defeating a foe that was previously beyond your abilities. That’s the driving idea behind how dragons are implemented in Inquisition. “I don’t ever want a player to casually kill a dragon,” Laidlaw says. “I see a dragon as something you aspire to. You see it flying overhead and make future plans. ‘I’ve seen that there’s a dragon. I know what kind of environment I’m going to be up against. I know what I’m going to fight on my way in. So I’m going to need to prepare accordingly.’”

However, even though dragons present a great challenge, they have different incarnations that allow players to get a taste of draconic content without hitting level cap. Defeating a regular dragon, while difficult, is an attainable goal for a reasonably powerful character. However, high dragons have the best loot and rarest crafting materials, and those might have to wait until much later in your journey. In any case, fights against dragons are being treated as optional battles that you prepare for deliberately and undertake carefully.

Because confrontations with dragons are placed encounters (not random, as opposed to games like Skyrim), BioWare is able to design them for specific environments and situations. “We need to consider them as something we should be tuning,” Laidlaw says. “Their environment should have some nice lead-in. You should feel that anticipation. You should clench up a little. And when they appear, they should be aware of the space in which you’re fighting them and be able to use that.” For example, if you fight a dragon in a rocky clearing, you may be able to take cover from its breath weapon behind boulders. However, the dragon can flush you out by concentrating its fire to melt the stone.

No one tactic works for every fight, and they are intended to be difficult. In fact, you have the option to withdraw from some of these encounters in case you bite off more than you can chew. So, how can your Inquisitor defeat these colossal foes? Each one is a little different, but you can find and create gear that gives you an edge against dragons. You should also pay attention to the dragon’s behavior and environment, because your tactics may change as the fight goes on. “You can individually target their limbs, and they react to the damage to a leg versus another one,” says Laidlaw. “I think that helps ground the encounter a lot more. If you need to get in close to the legs, we open up a whole new realm of counter-moves. He can take a swipe at where you likely are, which feels more like what a real beast would do. It grounds the encounter, and keeps it very physical.”

As much as we want to know more about how these fights play out, the team at BioWare is keeping quiet about the specifics. However, fans of the series should know that they will fight more dragons than in previous installments, and that they will have more options than ever before. “The global approach to Inquisition is that we want to give the player more freedom,” says Laidlaw. “When I think about what we’re doing with dragons, we’re making them a goal. We’re making them something that you can do. There are elements of dragons that are integral to the story, and that I absolutely won’t tell you about. There are elements of dragons that are aspirational fights that you’re drawn to. We’ve done that before, but I see us building tools that the player has that allow him or her to get better at dragon slaying.”

Xenji wrote: »
    Oops.

Fantastic. The dragons in Skyrim were a piece of piss..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Fantastic. The dragons in Skyrim were a piece of piss..

In Skyrim it was far to easy to become overpowered, be it your stats or gear, the game became very boring after a certain point as it was no challenge regardless of the difficulty setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭blaa85

Did anyone go for the Inquisitors Edition? I had it prebooked and mostly paid off through game trade-ins over the last few months. Cancelled it earlier after seeing some unboxing pictures and descriptions. Seems very poor quality for 169.99.

Ended up going for Deluxe version instead, probably pick up Far Cry 4 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I just bought from CDKeys, can I use a vpn to trick Origin or do I have to wait around?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

meh, another 24 hours wait for me .. /twiddles thumbs
    Parcel Motel better get their finger out and get it to me by Saturday :mad:

Played it for a few hours last night and absolutely love it. Have to wait till Saturday to get back to it, but really looking forward to it.

The game is bloody massive. Going through the first big zone at the moment, and there are a huge amount of things to do. Picked a Rogue and am really enjoying the combat as well. I'd recommend playing it on hard though, as it feels like the right difficulty. You've to actually pay attention, even for random bands of enemies.

Looks fantastic as well.

Also, you can hide your helmet...thank god for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Played it for a few hours last night and absolutely love it. Have to wait till Saturday to get back to it, but really looking forward to it.

The game is bloody massive. Going through the first big zone at the moment, and there are a huge amount of things to do. Picked a Rogue and am really enjoying the combat as well. I'd recommend playing it on hard though, as it feels like the right difficulty. You've to actually pay attention, even for random bands of enemies.

Looks fantastic as well.

Also, you can hide your helmet...thank god for that.

Sounds good. I was watching a streamer play on Nightmare the other day and he had to micro manage his whole party at level 4 on a random group of enemies. Pausing every 5 seconds. Seems tedious

Advertisement