Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

So is this more hack and slash like (fable,skyrym) or turned based like previous bio ware titles like KOTOR and Jade Empire ?

Neither. A mix of both previous DA titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Combat in Kotor etc. was only turn based if you wanted them to be (by default it was enabled on the consoles and off on the PC afair) - it's the same for this, though personally I hate pausing so I just turned it off. But the combat is extremely simple, don't expect Dark Souls :) more like a slower Diablo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Combat in Kotor etc. was only turn based if you wanted them to be (by default it was enabled on the consoles and off on the PC afair) - it's the same for this, though personally I hate pausing so I just turned it off. But the combat is extremely simple, don't expect Dark Souls :) more like a slower Diablo.

KOTOR was turn based but hid it really well. Maybe you're thinking of turning of the pause before turns.

edit: Actually replaying it on iPhone at the moment. The ability to play it on a phone was one of the factors that swung me towards iOS and a 6 plus last month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

None of them were turn based. They were all real time with pause which is very different to turn based.

mewso wrote: »
    None of them were turn based. They were all real time with pause which is very different to turn based.

It's a credit to the system that so many people actually think KOTOR is real time. The combat system is D&D with rolling die, modifiers etc all in classic round system which is masterfully hidden (although, IIRC there's the ability to check each roll if you really want to).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

See i had the 1st Dragon Age but it was so long ago i can't even remember it to be honest, thought about picking up the 2nd one 1st , but might aswell go in on this one , I like these kind of games, the whole Game of Thronesey stuff

See i had the 1st Dragon Age but it was so long ago i can't even remember it to be honest, thought about picking up the 2nd one 1st , but might aswell go in on this one , I like these kind of games, the whole Game of Thronesey stuff

I completely missed out on the first two, so that's kinda putting me off. I remember hearing all the good buzz about the first game, but by the time I had enough time to play it the second had been released and we all know how that turned out. Really glad that it's a return to form for Bioware, because I'd pretty much given up on them after ME2 - a great cinematic experience, but very much RPG light.

Still think it's amazing that I've Baldur's Gate and KOTOR on my phone.

Takes ages with each start up to connect to the servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

GodlessM wrote: »
    Takes ages with each start up to connect to the servers.

How long are you talking?

Its usually connected after 5-10 seconds for me. Not noticibly long at all pal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well have put about 10 hours into the game so far today, loving it so far, the only gripes I have and they are odd ones is that the dialogue is hard to hear at times especially the NPC's, needs a bit of fiddling to get a good balance, I also do not like how the subtitles are at the top of the screen.

• Advertisement

How long are you talking?

Its usually connected after 5-10 seconds for me. Not noticibly long at all pal

Several minutes on my end.

Several minutes on my end.

It has only been taking a few seconds for me.

Might be platform based. PS4 or PC?

Might be platform based. PS4 or PC?

PS4 for me.

Xenji wrote: »
    PS4 for me.

Me too. Guess that's not it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ok so last minute decision on this one , This Far Cry 4 or GTA 5 someone decide for me !!

Ok so last minute decision on this one , This Far Cry 4 or GTA 5 someone decide for me !!

If you are going for originality, lengthy gameplay and a fleshed out plot, go for Dragons Age.

Log-in times have evened out to normal thankfully. Noticed the keep is glitchy though. Despite a seemingly successful world state being uploaded from my Keep to DA: I, the game still references events in contradiction to what was input to the Keep. For instance, my keep says Carver died and yet Varric says that he is still alive, and the quarter master says Anora is Queen despite my Keep saying it is Alistair. And all the while, it appears fully that the Keep is properly connected. Anyone else noticing this? It is only in Beta I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's a credit to the system that so many people actually think KOTOR is real time. The combat system is D&D with rolling die, modifiers etc all in classic round system which is masterfully hidden (although, IIRC there's the ability to check each roll if you really want to).

I don't 'think' it's real time I 'think' it's real time with pause because thats what it is and what even Bioware would call it. You've used the term "round" yourself which is why I don't understand why you think it's turn based. Since Baldur's Gate Bioware have used a round based real time with pause system. Some characters will have more than one 'turn' per round. Yes they have always done the dice rolls but doing dice rolls does not mean turn based. Try turning on the 'pause after each turn' option in Baldur's Gate, for example and compare to something like Fallout 1, Temple of Elemental Evil or more recently Divinity and you'll see the difference. Seriously folks look it up. Real time with pause and turn based are two distinct combat systems used in RPGs. If you still think it's the same thing my challenge to you is to post it on the rpgcodex and see what kind of response you get but I wouldn't recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What the hell is focus and how do I use it? I can't find anything in the GUI about it and google fails me.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    What the hell is focus and how do I use it? I can't find anything in the GUI about it and google fails me.

The game explains it to you in dept around level 10, I am not at that stage yet so cannot be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

mewso wrote: »
    I don't 'think' it's real time I 'think' it's real time with pause because thats what it is and what even Bioware would call it. You've used the term "round" yourself which is why I don't understand why you think it's turn based. Since Baldur's Gate Bioware have used a round based real time with pause system. Some characters will have more than one 'turn' per round. Yes they have always done the dice rolls but doing dice rolls does not mean turn based. Try turning on the 'pause after each turn' option in Baldur's Gate, for example and compare to something like Fallout 1, Temple of Elemental Evil or more recently Divinity and you'll see the difference. Seriously folks look it up. Real time with pause and turn based are two distinct combat systems used in RPGs. If you still think it's the same thing my challenge to you is to post it on the rpgcodex and see what kind of response you get but I wouldn't recommend it.
    KOTOR and 2 were turn based. Maybe not turn based like some JRPGs or even Fallout etc but they were still turn-based. I played KOTOR and 2 with pause off and the turns were still completely noticeable and part of the gameplay. I don't need some site called bunch of rpg nerds rpg codex to tell me what is and isn't turn-based.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Never played a Dragon Age game before but like the look of this. Watched a review and it said certain characters reference events from previous games.

So would someone new to Dragon Age be totally lost if they began from Inquisition?

So it seems to get the Keep to actually work properly you need to connect it from your game, then go back into the Keep itself and upload again to complete the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Is there any tricks to getting armour upgrades? I'm lvl 8 and I've been rocking the same gear since about lvl 2 or 3.

Is there any tricks to getting armour upgrades? I'm lvl 8 and I've been rocking the same gear since about lvl 2 or 3.

Find wood. Upgrade. Profit.

Seriously though, one of the first quests you find is to upgrade your armour, and this was at level 4/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Why is mine not here yet Parcel Motel? :mad:

Adyx wrote: »
    KOTOR and 2 were turn based. Maybe not turn based like some JRPGs or even Fallout etc but they were still turn-based. I played KOTOR and 2 with pause off and the turns were still completely noticeable and part of the gameplay. I don't need some site called bunch of rpg nerds rpg codex to tell me what is and isn't turn-based.

Meh whatever. Was in a bad mood last night but my final word on this would be that at the very least this game type is a hybrid of turn based, inspired by turn based yes but not true turn based play. It's why there have been huge debates, for example, when inXile have asked fans do they want Torment to be turn based or real time with pause. These days, evolution of turn based, hybrid of turn based, or whatever else it's recognised as a distinct combat style. If you and others disagree then fair enough. Have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

When do you get the Skyhold Keep?

I have completed the “The Quest for the Red Lyrium Reapers" but you cant seem to get them until you get Skyhold...Im already lvl 7 so I think are going to go to waste at this stage. Anyone any ideas?

Great game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

When do you get the Skyhold Keep?

I have completed the “The Quest for the Red Lyrium Reapers" but you cant seem to get them until you get Skyhold...Im already lvl 7 so I think are going to go to waste at this stage. Anyone any ideas?

Great game though.

Isn't Skyhold your base in Haven?

Advertisement