Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's like a mix or DA1 and DA2, but more refined. Huge open world, with a (so far) decent story and enjoyable combat. It's a Bioware game...you kind of know what to expect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kiith wrote: »
    It's like a mix or DA1 and DA2, but more refined. Huge open world, with a (so far) decent story and enjoyable combat. It's a Bioware game...you kind of know what to expect :)

It's got a pretty strong case of consolitis though. The entire menu system is clunky and designed for game pads (no dragging and dropping), and the gameplay is now a frenetic, high-speed action sort of experience instead of the more tactical RPG sort of combat in previous games. The topdown tactical view is basically useless and should be treated as nonexistent. Spam attacks in third-person is most of the gameplay now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun, but there is a lot that is wrong and disappointing about the game too.

Oh, certainly compared to DA1 it's been optimised for consoles. Which is both good and bad (from a pc pov). The UI is pretty poor at times.

It's been a while since i played DA2, but it seems like it's got a similar pace, but still has some tactical gameplay options. DA1 was extremely clunky, and definitely needed improving. I like that you can't just run in spamming attacks, as you get absolutely hammered when you do (at least on Hard).

Similar to how Mass Effect 3 was a blend of ME1 and ME2.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I dare you to tell me what is good due to consolisation! :D

The GUI is horrible. Laboriously shifting from menu to menu and having to scroll and choose each option. If you think of BG2 way back in the day, each inventory was a single page of click-and-drag; could you swap stuff in and out completely in seconds. Now it is several minutes of clunky menu scrolling.

Bloody consoles, dragging us into the mud with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh goody, hours of my life in exchange for, not fun or excitement, but imaginary resources in a single-player game.

Wandering around the terrain gathering poop-thistles is not a fun activity for me, I don't care if they're throwing limitless gold, XP and crafting materials at me. I don't want busy work, I want a story.

Fundamental difference of opinion I suppose. There has to be people willing to do that sort of thing, otherwise MMOs wouldn't be successful, but I can't understand it. I'm forced to do enough tedious things in my life already, turning in a basket full of rocks I gathered in exchange for a shiny pop-up announcement, which if done fifty times will result in one or two little perks that do virtually nothing, is not something that should be rewarding to anyone that values their time.

lol it's mostly all optional so ye can ignore the poopthistle gathering if ye dont want to get your hands dirty :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Stick to the actual main plot stories as much as you can. I plan on doing side-missions only as required to get my level up to the recommended band for the story missions. The absolute worst thing about this game is the MMO-style crapfest that are many of the quests scattered around the world, especially in the Hinterlands. No, I do not want to spent an hour of my life gathering forty poop-thistles or whatever busy work you've come up with today.

Get out of the Hinterlands! It's basically a crap version of Skyrim.
    My problem is I'm at a point where it's not clear what I'm supposed to do. I tried to investigate a certain area and it warned me that by doing that, I'd be effectively siding with the Templars and the Mages wouldn't be available to me anymore. Considering I'm just level 6, I'm not ready to make that choice yet... so I'm not sure what to do.
    I explored the coast, so I'll go get Iron Wolf (or whatever his name is) this evening and poke around there for a bit.

Behold Peasants..
    The Wedge of Destiny!

pretty awesome shield too, it pays to explore sometimes

You won't get much more info from other areas about the Mage/Templar choice. It's basically your Geth/Quarian choice from ME3...with less guns. There's plenty of background information, and the previous games covered it well, but you kind of need to go looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally managed to make the suicide run across the burning fields with the first dragon only to be blindsided by a bear and killed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I haven't bought the game yet but from what I gather, the bears are deadlier than the dragons...

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    I haven't bought the game yet but from what I gather, the bears are deadlier than the dragons...

****in bears :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I decided to take on a few bandits a came across, took them out easily only for 2 bears to attack, so I high tailed it outta there and ran into two more bears.

4 f*ckin' bears :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How can a bear be so hard too take out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

It's got a pretty strong case of consolitis though. The entire menu system is clunky and designed for game pads (no dragging and dropping), and the gameplay is now a frenetic, high-speed action sort of experience instead of the more tactical RPG sort of combat in previous games. The topdown tactical view is basically useless and should be treated as nonexistent. Spam attacks in third-person is most of the gameplay now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun, but there is a lot that is wrong and disappointing about the game too.

Get used to it. It is a far more efficient system for a money making engine to 'consolise', as you have put it, any games going to be cross-platform. The more games expand and advance, the more work that has to go in to tailoring for a different console, so it is starting to become a thing for developers to tone everything down to the medium with the least options.

Whether people like it or not, it is seemingly the way of the future.

Then again, I am a console gamer so don't really care. Each type of gaming has its own benefits, and to each suits it own, so I really don't like the 'debate' of PC vs consoles.

How can a bear be so hard too take out? :D

they aren't so bad once you get to know them

..you just have to bear with it :P

****in bears :mad:

Don't accidentally piss off a bison either. They make the bears look like butterflies.

You won't get much more info from other areas about the Mage/Templar choice. It's basically your Geth/Quarian choice from ME3...with less guns. There's plenty of background information, and the previous games covered it well, but you kind of need to go looking.
    The templars were dicks in the last 2 so mages it is I guess!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

they aren't so bad once you get to know them

..you just have to bear with it :P

Get out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

What do you reckon is the best group to have, at the moment i have Cassandra, Blackwall & Vivienne.

Working well at the moment, I miss the ability of the mages been able to heal party members

My copy arrived \o/

• Advertisement

A mild Easter egg spoiler here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

A mild Easter egg spoiler here

hmm I'm missing the connection... On the other hand the X1 console screen looks a lot different to the PC one. I prefer yours although the X1 version works quite well for a console

it's just a reference to
    plants versus zombies
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Ahh, I get it now. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Had a Skyrim moment there earlier where I came across a Giant and a Dragon fighting each other. Giant won, and then I ankle shanked the bastard. Good times.

As for my party, still with Cassandra, Solas and Varric. Have gotten Blackwall and Bull, but at this stage I've invested enough in Cassandra to not feel the need to change the Warrior in the party, and I find two Rogues (myself included) more useful than two Warriors.

I've done the same with Cassandra, didnt like her much from the start because of DA2, but the dialogues with her reveal a really deep character - plus she's my super guard-taunty tank. I like having a mage with me too though, that barrier can be really handy if you select the character that uses it, not to use it - so ye can have it off cooldown when you really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Just had a nug jump out of a stream out of nowhere and commit hari kari off a waterfall, I am loving these odd glitches, none are annoying or game breaking, more amusing or WTF.

Had a random npc get stuck in a portcullis today and he was basically humping it for about a minute while my companions were fixated on him till I moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I was having a good long chat with Varric last night, as he kneeled down and stood up repeatedly for the whole conversation.

I was having a good long chat with Varric last night, as he kneeled down and stood up repeatedly for the whole conversation.
    I'm playing a DPS mage, so I find using Solas to barrier and life ward, with Cassandra tanking. I was using Varric, but after switching Sera to dual daggers, I find her much more lethal.

I'm having a hell of a problem with the part after the mages, where it's just you and mr moustache down in the pit. He sucks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

To answer my own question about Skyland - the second castle.
    When you finished either the Mage \ Templar final choice mission you get the castle shortly after. I think I was about lvl 11 when I got it.

Advertisement