Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Any beginner tips for this? Best character to pick or any ones to avoid?
    Also is there a guide to the previous game or do I need to know about any of the story up to now.
    If you're not going to play the other games, then read the plot overviews on Wikipedia. That will explain a lot of it.

Then there's the Dragon Age Keep: https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/
    The other games had various choices you can make throughout them, and this Dragon Age Keep thingy lets you choose what options you want, then it carries over into this new game. You need an Origin account to use it (but you need one of those to play the game anyway).

I think you can actually run Dragon Age Keep from the Inquisition main menu, under the Extras section.

As for characters, it all depends on what you feel like. I don't think many here will have gone through all the types. But since you get to choose your party members as you go through the game, you can fill out your party with all the rolls you need. I'm a mage, myself and I find myself settling for the same characters to support me, a sword and shield fighter, a two handed weapon fighter and a rogue. You need a rogue to open locked doors (I didn't see anywhere in the game telling me this. You just select the rogue and click on a door with a lock symbol on it) and the fighters are able to bash down certain walls that have the bash icon. So those will get you through most places.

Oh, and you'll gain access to more skill trees for your characters after a point near the beginning. I won't say anything about it, in case I spoil anything.

The tactical view for combat is mostly useless to me, as you can't zoom out far enough to see most enemies. So don't feel like you're meant to use it or anything.

Other than that, I don't think you'll need too much help. A lot of it explains itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

humanji wrote: »
    If you're not going to play the other games, then read the plot overviews on Wikipedia. That will explain a lot of it.

Then there's the Dragon Age Keep: https://dragonagekeep.com/en_US/
    The other games had various choices you can make throughout them, and this Dragon Age Keep thingy lets you choose what options you want, then it carries over into this new game. You need an Origin account to use it (but you need one of those to play the game anyway).

I think you can actually run Dragon Age Keep from the Inquisition main menu, under the Extras section.

As for characters, it all depends on what you feel like. I don't think many here will have gone through all the types. But since you get to choose your party members as you go through the game, you can fill out your party with all the rolls you need. I'm a mage, myself and I find myself settling for the same characters to support me, a sword and shield fighter, a two handed weapon fighter and a rogue. You need a rogue to open locked doors (I didn't see anywhere in the game telling me this. You just select the rogue and click on a door with a lock symbol on it) and the fighters are able to bash down certain walls that have the bash icon. So those will get you through most places.

Oh, and you'll gain access to more skill trees for your characters after a point near the beginning. I won't say anything about it, in case I spoil anything.

The tactical view for combat is mostly useless to me, as you can't zoom out far enough to see most enemies. So don't feel like you're meant to use it or anything.

Other than that, I don't think you'll need too much help. A lot of it explains itself.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Didnt know about any of that keep stuff.
    One other thing, I played for about an hour last night while it was downloading and am wondering do you switch to the other characters much or do you mainly play as your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info, very helpful. Didnt know about any of that keep stuff.
    One other thing, I played for about an hour last night while it was downloading and am wondering do you switch to the other characters much or do you mainly play as your own?

I think they made it hoping people would be playing their whole team like it was Baldur's Gate, but I actually just let them do their thing and play as my main character mage only. The fighters run around hitting things and the other wizards fire off spells, it all works out fine, and the AI seems to have a decent handle on it. I've seen people complain about fighters using charge powers to fly right out of the combat zone but I've not had any problems.

Hell, I have so little interest in the powers for the other classes that I use auto-level for them. Haven't a notion what most of their abilities do but they sure do look impressive when they use them. As long as the fighter is getting better at killing things, staying alive and distracting things I am perfectly fine.

The tactical view is a bit of a tacked on joke. I only ever use it to hover over an enemy to check their vulnerabilities. On a rare and specific occasion I might tell a party member to use a specific power, like firing off a Barrier in a dangerous moment, but they're usually quite capable of doing that themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ye its a pain in the ass, you should be able to store items rather than carry them around. Something simple they left out. I got a perk were you can increase your carry, think its up to 75 now

The perk goes up to 90 I think, well that's what I have anyway, but honestly just fast travel back to your keep sell your stuff and fast travel back to where you were, you rarely come across great items worth hoarding if you make use of the crafting system.

Yeah, as Zillah says, you don't have to switch at all. I don't even pause during combat unless I wander into a group of NPC's that are many levels above mine. The two times I change characters is when I'm picking a lock or bashing a wall (like I mentioned above), or when I get to a supply crate and some of my characters don't have full health.

That's actually something to point out as it'll save a bit of disappointment. You get 8 health potions (can be upgraded to more, later on) and your party members will use them as they need them. You restock every time you fast travel to an area/camp or if you rest at a tent in a camp, and you'll also restore all your health. Every now and again you'll find supply crates, and these will also restore all your potions, but don't restore you health. So when you find one, use all the potions you need to restore your health, then use the crate and you'll be topped up.

I'm not sure if that makes sense at the moment, but when you're playing it should mean something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Also, if you're wondering why you never have any of the 2nd potion in your potions bar, it's because you have to manually click to add each potion at the Equip Potions table. I went about 30 hours wondering why the hell i could never use regen potions.

I've used the tactical camera, but only during dragon fights. It's pretty terrible moving the camera around, but it can be very useful where you have to be much more careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Kiith wrote: »
    Also, if you're wondering why you never have any of the 2nd potion in your potions bar, it's because you have to manually click to add each potion at the Equip Potions table. I went about 30 hours wondering why the hell i could never use regen potions.

I've used the tactical camera, but only during dragon fights. It's pretty terrible moving the camera around, but it can be very useful where you have to be much more careful.
    Speaking of the second and third potion slots, I only found out yesterday your companions can have potions/grenades assigned to them. :o I also rarely use the tactical camera, it really doesn't zoom out far enough. I'd also like the ability to switch weapons on the fly especially since you can't open your inventory during combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Ye its a pain in the ass, you should be able to store items rather than carry them around. Something simple they left out. I got a perk were you can increase your carry, think its up to 75 now

You can get it up to 90. It can be annoying, but at 90 capacity I haven't noticed in awhile. The notion given that there is a tonne of gear to hold on to until later isn't really accurate, unless you found a unique rare that you aren't high enough level to use yet. That is a rare occasion. Usually you just travel back, upgrade to better gear if you found it, and then sell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

From a PC point of view the combat is very frustrating as a warrior. Don't know about console but you have to run up to enemies and click. You can often find yourself swinging your sword at air. I also play a mage but have noticed this when switching to my warriors so in general if your main character is ranged it's less frustrating. This would be mitigated somewhat if the tactical view was of any use at all. I also find that the second and third potion/grenade slots are a bit buggy. They can be up to 5 each by default but the third one seems to reset to 4 and 3 constantly, when you travel to a camp for example so I'm assuming I am wasting resources on clicking it back up to 5 again where it isn't used. Same for potion belts which give you 1 extra slot. Resets to 5 out of 6.

Top of the fix list for me though remains the respawn rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

No such problem on consoles, but then again, the design does seem to be console focused this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Killed my first Dragon last night on Nightmare difficulty. :D Dragon slaying in this is far more satisfying than Skyrim tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

When or where does this happen? I'm level 10 and I haven't come across this yet.

Slight
    It's when you move to the new castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Slight
    It's when you move to the new castle.
    I think that's around lvl 10-12 ish?

Depending on what you do, yeah it should be around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    • Get used to Crafting and get used to it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I neglected it on my first playthrough and that hurt my experience. Crafting is painfully awkward in its console'ness but easy once you know how - and crafted gear is better than everything except some if not most same level epics, so once you have the resources, you can get your characters geared up sufficiently.

Thank you RopeDrink for the detailed post.

Do you craft weapons and gear for your main or everyone?

Thank you RopeDrink for the detailed post.

Do you craft weapons and gear for your main or everyone?

You should do it for everyone and match bonus with your classes, also keep modifying your weapons and armour whether crafted or loot you have found, 60 hours in and I am still using a rare dagger that I modified using crafting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Quick 'quest'-ion! I'm finding The Red Templars to be way too tough, I've just gotten Skyhold. Should I go elsewhere and come back later, or am I just useless?

Quick 'quest'-ion! I'm finding The Red Templars to be way too tough, I've just gotten Skyhold. Should I go elsewhere and come back later, or am I just useless?

What level are you and what is your usual party?

Think it's 9 or 10, can't check at the minute. Party was Iron Bull, Sera and Solas.

• Advertisement

Think it's 9 or 10, can't check at the minute. Party was Iron Bull, Sera and Solas.

You need to be around 11-13, but can be done at lower levels, try upgrading your weapons and armor at the crafter, also use the trick of using an archer, keeping your distance, let your party die, runaway far enough till your party gets resurrected and go attack again and repeat.

Xenji wrote: »
    You need to be around 11-13, but can be done at lower levels, try upgrading your weapons and armor at the crafter, also use the trick of using an archer, keeping your distance, let your party die, runaway far enough till your party gets resurrected and go attack again and repeat.

Good. I have no problem going off exploring elsewhere anyway. Although I did manage to kill one of them when he got stuck in the geometry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

As useless as tactical view is it does serve one purpose. Go into it and highlight an enemy. You'll see what level the enemy is and if they are a few levels above you then yes the idea is to try other areas and come back later. It's one thing I was very happy to see them do. I have issues with level scaling but I think to be fair to Bioware they do it as best as it can be done. The enemies have a level range that gets set when you first meet them as near to your level as possible. So for example if you meet an enemy that has a range of 14-16 while you are level 12 it will be set at 14. If you meet them at level 16 and above they won't be any higher than 16. That is then set in stone so if you leave and come back they will still be the level they were set at when you first met them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Thats very interesting mewso, didnt know that. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Xenji wrote: »
    The lack of health regen and shared pots makes this harder than it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mewso wrote: »
    As useless as tactical view is it does serve one purpose. Go into it and highlight an enemy. You'll see what level the enemy is and if they are a few levels above you then yes the idea is to try other areas and come back later. It's one thing I was very happy to see them do. I have issues with level scaling but I think to be fair to Bioware they do it as best as it can be done. The enemies have a level range that gets set when you first meet them as near to your level as possible. So for example if you meet an enemy that has a range of 14-16 while you are level 12 it will be set at 14. If you meet them at level 16 and above they won't be any higher than 16. That is then set in stone so if you leave and come back they will still be the level they were set at when you first met them.

Tactical view is useful to show a creature's immunities and weaknesses, but you can see their level as a number beneath their healthbar in normal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

How is everyone finding the Dragons? I've meet about 4 or 5 so far and they have destroyed me..

Any tactics I should be aware of?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

How is everyone finding the Dragons? I've meet about 4 or 5 so far and they have destroyed me..

Any tactics I should be aware of?

I've had to outlevel them (on hard) before i could take them on, as they absolutely destroyed my at first. Killed the Hinterlands and Western Approach one, with the Inquisitor (dagger rogue), Blackwall as my tank, Solas as a buffer/ice mage, and Dorian for electricity/necro.

You just need to move about a lot, and make sure your tank is always facing the dragon. They'll pop a few fireballs at your mages, so make sure to move them asap. Also, keep everyone pretty close to the dragon, as you take a lot of damage when they do that AOE pull attack.

I always set my Rogue on the adds when they arrive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I've just ran away so far although I've really only met the one in the Hinterlands. The one on the coast just flew away.:confused: I think I'm level 13 now so I might pay him a visit. I really wish you could set more advanced tactics for whoever you're not controlling. Kingdoms of Amalur has a huge range of options which were rarely needed and this game has fcuk all and it would be a great help.

Does anyone else keep left-clicking to move when holding down the right-mouse button? I have to keep reminding myself I'm not playing KOTOR. :pac:

Edit: It's not KoA I'm thinking of. Maybe one of the other Dragon Age games??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Adyx wrote: »
    Edit: It's not KoA I'm thinking of. Maybe one of the other Dragon Age games??

Yes, Dragon Age: Origins had a really good party tactics screen.
    Pity they didn't bring that back.

Advertisement