Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dragons are levelled. Don't think about taking one on above your level. Different areas have weaker dragons than others. First one I ran into was in the Exalted Plains and it lol-mauled me as it was six levels my superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

First I got was in the Hinterlands before I even had a proper team with me. I saw a group of dragonlings (is that what they're called? Baby dragons, anyway) and was wondering if I should see if I could take them, when suddenly a dragon appeared above me and killed the rest of the party while I ran away screaming. It was the first time anyone had died in the party and I was actually panicking because I didn't know if they could be revived and if I'd have to go back to where the dragon was to resurrect them. Thank god they respawn beside you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I have 9 out of 10 Dragons down now, but for the life of me can't find the last one. Hinterlands funnily enough is one of the harder ones tactically, along with the third Emprise Dragon. Graves was definitely the easiest. I'm starting to wonder now if you-know-who's' Dragon is actually the last one.

As for the ads, I just kept using Confusion Grenades when they showed up each time so that the Dragon killed them for me.

And as for tactics, other than what has been said already, make sure everyone is always attacking the same leg. You can floor the Dragon eventually at which time it doesn't attack or use special abilities, so you can get a lot of damage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

I beat the one in the Hinterlands at level 11 on normal. I beat 5 others too but I think I was over levelled for them. I get in close so the breath attacks and wing flap don't do any damage and hack away with warriors.

Found number 10. Killed it. Trophy is glitched. You have to reload and kill it again to get it.

Should be finishing the game up today I reckon.

• Advertisement

GodlessM wrote: »
    Found number 10. Killed it. Trophy is glitched. You have to reload and kill it again to get it.

Should be finishing the game up today I reckon.

I checked a walkthrough to see how much of the main story is left for me because I sensed time was running short, and I don't have much left :(

I'm not a completionist so there's little joy to be had running around finishing side stuff. I think I might just play it all again with a completely different character.

I could also start Dragon Age Origins again and play through the entire saga...

(not that the backstory seems to have mattered much, I did the full Dragons Keep and I can't say I've noticed anything beyond one or two small details that meant anything in Inquisition)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can ya play on after the game ends to finish off side quests etc?

Can ya play on after the game ends to finish off side quests etc?

I just kind of assumed I would be able to, but then again maybe I'm doomed to die? That hadn't occurred to me. Eitherway, I never like playing a game beyond the main quest, somehow it feels like you're running around waiting for the langoliers to show up (points for anyone that gets that reference).

I just did some googling to find out in what way the decisions in the previous games matter, and I can't find anything specific. I filled out the full Dragon Keep to the best of my memory for this playthrough and I've literally noticed one or two tiny, irrelevant little things where I went "oooh, that was a thing from the previous game, was it?"

Some how I think it is all going to be very trivial. I hope the God baby shows up. I made a God baby in Origins.

@Sephiroth_Dude; yeah, you can play on, though as a word of warning, all companion quests cancel if not finished once you complete Doom Upon All the World, so make sure to get them done first.

@Zillah; I found a tonne of my decisions effecting my game. Knowing which ones they were however, it really comes down to the more you did then and the more you do now. For instance, you might get certain characters from the past as agents, but only if you helped them in the past and did the right quest now to obtain them. Tapestry is the word they use in the Keep, and it is the right word indeed. Actually to be honest in comparison to your experience, I found that I was bumping into old characters and decisions left, right and center. The story really felt intertwined with that of the Warden and Hawke. That's not to say that there are trivial matters in the Keep, but I think they are there for the engine or possibilities to flow properly; I'm pretty sure the bar maid from Redcliffe is entirely irrelevant.

I won't say anything about the God Baby except he looks to have a vital roll in DA4. Let's just say there has been a story going on behind all 3 games that could be bigger than them all, and even when you thought you knew what was going to happen in the future, the game surprises you once more.

And yes, I get the Langolier reference. Mr. King and I go way back ;)

On a general note, it's done. Took 87 hours, with only a few loose ends to tie up (albeit ones that may take some time). Must say the story and cast were much better this time around. It felt more like a close group of colleagues who become genuine friends rather than just a bunch of followers like it did at times before. Little scenes like the Wicked Grace scene go a long way to adding to this also. I have started a second playthrough now and am finding some of the differing decisions making a big enough difference to the experience already. Definitely pleased with this game. I am convinced though that a DLC with a new area will be planned, because there are still huge sections of the map that are bare at the end, even with all of the content they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

@Sephiroth_Dude; yeah, you can play on, though as a word of warning, all companion quests cancel if not finished once you complete Doom Upon All the World, so make sure to get them done first.

@Zillah; I found a tonne of my decisions effecting my game. Knowing which ones they were however, it really comes down to the more you did then and the more you do now. For instance, you might get certain characters from the past as agents, but only if you helped them in the past and did the right quest now to obtain them. Tapestry is the word they use in the Keep, and it is the right word indeed. Actually to be honest in comparison to your experience, I found that I was bumping into old characters and decisions left, right and center. The story really felt intertwined with that of the Warden and Hawke. That's not to say that there are trivial matters in the Keep, but I think they are there for the engine or possibilities to flow properly; I'm pretty sure the bar maid from Redcliffe is entirely irrelevant.

I won't say anything about the God Baby except he looks to have a vital roll in DA4. Let's just say there has been a story going on behind all 3 games that could be bigger than them all, and even when you thought you knew what was going to happen in the future, the game surprises you once more.

And yes, I get the Langolier reference. Mr. King and I go way back ;)
    On a general note, it's done. Took 87 hours, with only a few loose ends to tie up (albeit ones that may take some time). Must say the story and cast were much better this time around. It felt more like a close group of colleagues who become genuine friends rather than just a bunch of followers like it did at times before. Little scenes like the Wicked Grace scene go a long way to adding to this also. I have started a second playthrough now and am finding some of the differing decisions making a big enough difference to the experience already. Definitely pleased with this game. I am convinced though that a DLC with a new area will be planned, because there are still huge sections of the map that are bare at the end, even with all of the content they already have.

What did your near 90 hours entail, I have put in nearly the same hours but have barely scratched the main story and my party are only around level 16 , I reckon i have about another 100 hours left, depending on how long the field missions last, some can take over 10 hours easily and you have to wait for them to open new quests in the War Table.

If you have played the first two games, Inquisition is not a game to be rushed through, the amount of lore made available to you through exploring and hidden documents is immense, anything under 100 odd hours put into this game seems like a waste as you cannot possibly even come close to finishing it all! If you actually rush through the game you are missing out, as a lot of War Table missions only become available after defeating certain enemies or discovering certain underground areas or meeting certain NPC's.

Rushing through this game is boring and really cannot be achieved unless you are playing at a lower difficulty level as you can not quickly get to higher levels without sidequests and seeing that most quests have some barring on your ultimate goal, whether it be huge or tiny and unlock after you have completed tougher quests to progress the game. Dragons are not easily beat as well before level 15, a Mage or Archer are incredibly overpowered in this game, especially the Mage, if anyone wants a easy run at this game pick either or, but a Mage is overkill. Crafting weapons for either class can yield you a DPS value of 250 on top of other bonuses from about level 8 onwards if you harvest all resources you see, this is far better than any item you will find in loot!

• Advertisement

Xenji wrote: »
    What did your near 90 hours entail, I have put in nearly the same hours but have barely scratched the main story and my party are only around level 16 , I reckon i have about another 100 hours left, depending on how long the field missions last, some can take over 10 hours easily and you have to wait for them to open new quests in the War Table.

If you have played the first two games, Inquisition is not a game to be rushed through, the amount of lore made available to you through exploring and hidden documents is immense, anything under 100 odd hours put into this game seems like a waste as you cannot possibly even come close to finishing it all! If you actually rush through the game you are missing out, as a lot of War Table missions only become available after defeating certain enemies or discovering certain underground areas or meeting certain NPC's.

Rushing through this game is boring and really cannot be achieved unless you are playing at a lower difficulty level as you can not quickly get to higher levels without sidequests and seeing that most quests have some barring on your ultimate goal, whether it be huge or tiny and unlock after you have completed tougher quests to progress the game. Dragons are not easily beat as well before level 15, a Mage or Archer are incredibly overpowered in this game, especially the Mage, if anyone wants a easy run at this game pick either or, but a Mage is overkill. Crafting weapons for either class can yield you a DPS value of 250 on top of other bonuses from about level 8 onwards if you harvest all resources you see, this is far better than any item you will find in loot!

About 99% completion, with a Level 24 party. All I didn't get done in those 87 hours were 3 mosaics (need 2-3 pieces for each still) and a treasure map. That also includes me making a decision that actually makes the main story a little bit longer. Everything else is done, including everything at the war table. I wouldn't call 87 hours a rush either; it was only meant to last about 100. Just as a note, some quests are infinitely repetitive, so perhaps you are doing these over too many times? Note also that the main quest speeds up the more you go through it, so while you might have half the missions left, the later ones are far quicker than the earlier ones.

As for the DPS thing for a Mage, at Level 10 only at had two daggers that were 391 DPS each. It is insane how good the crafted stuff can be for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

at Level 10 only at had two daggers that were 391 DPS each. It is insane how good the crafted stuff can be for sure.

WHAT

I'm level 15, dagger rogue, and have nowhere near as good stuff as that. Any idea where the schematics come from?

Not sure unfortunately. I tend to Loot All unless I am tight on space, so I'd often get back from a long trip with varied schematics. Given that Loot is largely random though they could be anywhere.

Xenji wrote: »

On the contrary, there is a huge amount of MMO-style bloat in this game and trying to finish it all would be as boring as cutting the grass with a scissors. The story missions do not adapt to your level, so if you've played as much as you have and have barely started it then it is all going to be trivially easy when you do it because you'll be ridiculously overpowered.

Maybe certain classes as seeming so overpowered to you because you're playing the game all wrong by sinking so much time into side content before the main story instead of doing some here and there as you go like you're supposed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Zillah wrote: »
    On the contrary, there is a huge amount of MMO-style bloat in this game and trying to finish it all would be as boring as cutting the grass with a scissors. The story missions do not adapt to your level, so if you've played as much as you have and have barely started it then it is all going to be trivially easy when you do it because you'll be ridiculously overpowered.

Maybe certain classes as seeming so overpowered to you because you're playing the game all wrong by sinking so much time into side content before the main story instead of doing some here and there as you go like you're supposed to.

In fairness in a game as vast as this you cannot really play it wrong if you are still enjoying it, regardless if you are doing sidequests or the main story.

No offense, but I think you miss the entire point of Open World games if you think he is playing it wrong; there's no way you are 'supposed' to do anything. The whole point of Open World is to play how you like with almost entire freedom to go about things as you please. The only limiting factor in DA: I on that front is Power. Also, collector side-quests are a huge part of Open World games, not just MMO's, and I really think those who think other wise must not be used to Open World games. If they are, then i don't get the fuss about these sorts of elements, as they are pretty much a staple of Open World at this point.

No offense, but I think you miss the entire point of Open World games if you think he is playing it wrong; there's no way you are 'supposed' to do anything. The whole point of Open World is to play how you like with almost entire freedom to go about things as you please. The only limiting factor in DA: I on that front is Power. Also, collector side-quests are a huge part of Open World games, not just MMO's, and I really think those who think other wise must not be used to Open World games. If they are, then i don't get the fuss about these sorts of elements, as they are pretty much a staple of Open World at this point.

The main quest missions have a recommended range. So if a mission is for levels 5-7, and you've gotten all the way to 13 by the time you do that mission because you've been running around collecting baskets of iron for the new garden railings then you're definitely not playing it the way the developer meant for you to.

There is no such thing as bad-wrong-fun, enjoy yourself however you like, but there is obviously a way the game was intended to be played, hence the recommended level range.

The recommended range is based solely on Level though, and not truly representative of the difficulty. Variables such as the game's set difficulty, your party composition and strength, among other things change this. Indeed I never found the suggested levels to be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Patch due today for every platform with the exception of Xbox One... why I wonder?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-09-bioware-outlines-big-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-due-out-today

Huh, and I just finished my play through last night. I think I will wait to see if someone can put together a PC GUI mod that removes all of the damned scrolling menus before I consider a second game.

• Advertisement

Huh, and I just finished my play through last night. I think I will wait to see if someone can put together a PC GUI mod that removes all of the damned scrolling menus before I consider a second game.

Or just get yourself a PS4 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

logik wrote: »
    Patch due today for every platform with the exception of Xbox One... why I wonder?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-09-bioware-outlines-big-dragon-age-inquisition-patch-due-out-today

Certification maybe from microsoft, not sure what their rules are these days for patching.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Certification and payment I say. Sony don't charge developers to patch their own games where as MS does.

Or just get yourself a PS4 :p

I can plug a pad into the PC if I want...the keyboard and mouse isn't the problem, it's the interminably clumsy scrolling menu that is causing the problem. PS4's caused this in the first place! :pac:

I had a dream of

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I can plug a pad into the PC if I want...the keyboard and mouse isn't the problem, it's the interminably clumsy scrolling menu that is causing the problem. PS4's caused this in the first place! :pac:

I had a dream of

I notice that just like DA2 scrolling with your middle mouse works fine but the hover tooltip doesn't update as you scroll through items until you actually move the mouse. This is something that has come from DA2 to DAI, 2 different game engines which is remarkable. I don't really expect it to get fixed if it hasn't been through two engines. I do wonder how the tooltips appear on console. In almost all cases the tooltip is the vital information you need (DPS details and so on) before equiping/selling stuff.

I had a dream of

But that's my point; it is only clumsy on a PC. Incidentally looking at the patch notes the PC version of the game had about twice as many issues as consoles. Whatever for the PC vs. console debate, there's no denying that this game was built with consoles in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Had a go at a Dragon today for the first time, think I'll leave him alone for another 15 levels or so.

Had a go at a Dragon today for the first time, think I'll leave him alone for another 15 levels or so.

What level are you?

But that's my point; it is only clumsy on a PC.

No it isn't! It's equally horrible, you just don't know any better. It should be a drag and drop system, which would be drastically faster and less annoying, like we've seen on loads of previous PC games. But drag and drop needs a mouse to work properly, and because consoles don't have those we all get lumbered with a ridiculous scrolling menu system. I stopped using crafting towards the end of my playthrough because it was just too time-consuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Killed my first one the other day, it was cheesy as hell, just ran about ressing over and over. If you're playing on normal and have a solid tank it seems pretty hard to get a game over.

Advertisement