Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

absolutely loving this game, got is as an xmas present for meself, and find it alot of fun so far :) even the coop online is enjoyable.

One question though, trying to play it today and I am just stuck on the start screen "Connecting to the Dragon age servers"
    with it just constantly trying to connect to it,
    are the servers down or something? I restarted my router and everything and can play everything else bar this :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    absolutely loving this game, got is as an xmas present for meself, and find it alot of fun so far :) even the coop online is enjoyable.

One question though, trying to play it today and I am just stuck on the start screen "Connecting to the Dragon age servers"
    are the servers down or something? I restarted my router and everything and can play everything else bar this :/

No I had the problem earlier too, around 4:30pm or so ??? Got in after I'd restarted the xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

If you have the PS4 version, log out of PSN and then restart the game, you will be able to play again without needing the servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Had this since early December but wanted to wait till Christmas day to play it. Then PSN was down so only got started last night.

Played about 5 hours and i'm loving it. Started on medium but turned it up to hard after a few hours. There is a pretty big difficulty jump between the two.

.... Also **** Bears!

Playing on nightmare and backed myself into a corner with no potions and the wrong party during
    the haven battle where you have to aim the trebuchet
    slogged the whole way through until the point where the big guy arrives , party were at deaths door.

Fortunately I had a milestone save to go back to and try and level at bit but XP is so hard to come by in large amounts. Any tips as to who I should have in the party and how I should spec them :confused:

I'm went with a 2 handed warrior for myself which I'm regretting now, have dorian, varrik and solas with me. I'm lvl 9 and they are 8. I'm thinking I should probably go and get vivienne or Ironbull :confused:

I've also managed to get a good chunk of XP from
    using the shards to open a few doors in forbidden oasis

And the bears :mad: Normal ones are bad enough but the large ones are instant death :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Calex - surely you should have a sword + shield tank in the party?

Anyway finished the game for the first time this evening, really enjoyed it overall but the final bit seemed really rushed and underwhelming to me.

Calex - surely you should have a sword + shield tank in the party?

Anyway finished the game for the first time this evening, really enjoyed it overall but the final bit seemed really rushed and underwhelming to me.

Ha yes .........me :pac:

I'm usually the 1st to go down , and Dorian picks me up, during my ramblings to level up and recruit Vivenne (best move I've made so far) I did get some much improved gear , my sword is now a 175dps 155aoe vs a 105 / 105 and some stuff that adds to my stats and gives just over 200 health.

Just started that section again there so we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How does this rate on the Bioware RPG scale. Are we talking Baldur's Gate, KOTOR or Mass Effect 1? Reading the comments it seems to be nearing the complexity of BG. Replaying both BG and KOTOR at the moment and while I love both, I realised how much I missed the complexity of the older game's hardcore style D&D RPG.. THAC0 and weird armour class ratings can **** right off though, don't miss that stuff at all. Also, forgot how brutal BG was, must have dies a hundred times in first two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Does the game have a ton of cut scenes? I hate em.

quarryman wrote: »
    Does the game have a ton of cut scenes? I hate em.

No but it has a tonne of dialogue choices which can equate to pretty much the same thing if you don't like them, but at least there you can bash x to move things along :pac:

I'm actually enjoying this far more now that I got to skyhold and dropped the difficulty to hard, nightmare was pure frustration on the one part and I'm still none the wiser as to how the tactile camera is supposed to help seems broken as fook to me, the difference in difficulty is night and day. Screw the achievement :mad:

Encountered some major bugs on Crestwood where dialogue choices didn't show up and I couldn't progress anything side/main had to reload a save and thankfully that worked..... but me back a bit but still better than the alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Started this on the weekend but I'm finding it quite hard. Went with a mage but I'm finding the combat tough as he is just so weak? I could literally be shooting water pistols at the enemys for all the damage I'm dealing with the staff. Just finished
    In Hushed Whispers
    but seriously considering a restart with a more physical class.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Started this on the weekend but I'm finding it quite hard. Went with a mage but I'm finding the combat tough as he is just so weak? I could literally be shooting water pistols at the enemys for all the damage I'm dealing with the staff. Just finished
    In Hushed Whispers
    but seriously considering a restart with a more physical class.

What difficulty are you on ? Mage would have made my life easier on nightmare before I dropped to hard. The hump as far as most say is to come next, if you can get passed the next bit you are golden. I just couldn't do it after too many attempts with a warrior and a near dead party :mad:

Do you have Vivenne on board yet?

calex71 wrote: »
    What difficulty are you on ? Mage would have made my life easier on nightmare before I dropped to hard. The hump as far as most say is to come next, if you can get passed the next bit you are golden. I just couldn't do it after too many attempts with a warrior and a near dead party :mad:

Do you have Vivenne on board yet?

Playing on Hard. My main problem is that the magic (between spells and staffs) just feels so weak. I have literally come across parts where I am firing spells or fire from the staff at enemies for a solid minute and their health barely moves. I have Vivienne and Dorian. You have me worried now about the next bit :D
    that ****ing castle I fought through to make an alliance with the mages was a complete nightmare as every enemy in it loved to get right up on top of my fire wielding weakling

You have a warrior with shouts etc in the party ?

Edit : If i could get through it on nightmare you can too on hard. get ironbull or casandra in there to taunt them and you'll be fine. Also there are a tonne of supply crates in the castle you can use.

calex71 wrote: »
    You have a warrior with shouts etc in the party ?

I have Iron Bull and Cassandra but haven't a clue what shouts are? That's another gripe I have, some things are just poorly explained if explained at all (I'm looking at you weapon/armor crafting and modifying)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm finding that the detail in the environments is throwing me quite a bit. I'm not sure where to go. Do I venture off the beaten track or just mainline the markers on the map?

In DA:Origins there was a button that when you pressed it effectively highlighted all interactable objects/people as long as you pressing it. Incredibly helpful, but then again the environments were a lot more simple than Inquisition. Shame it's not in DA:I.

The UI, especially for the item equipping, inventory etc is unnecessarily large and sluggish. Makes it a bit of a chore to see get in there and see which equipment is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The main thing I dislike is that with a few exceptions it doesn't tell you the recommended levels. You don't know you're too low until you're actually in combat and can see the enemies levels.
    I have Iron Bull and Cassandra but haven't a clue what shouts are? That's another gripe I have, some things are just poorly explained if explained at all (I'm looking at you weapon/armor crafting and modifying)

challenge & war cry on warriors, doing these gives guard which is the extra armour for the warrior. Challenge make a single enemy focus on you while war cry effects a few but not as much.

If you're not controlling it war cry is better, and probably better for anything but the higher difficulties.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Varik wrote: »
    The main thing I dislike is that with a few exceptions it doesn't tell you the recommended levels. You don't know you're too low until you're actually in combat and can see the enemies levels.

I'm starting this tomorrow and and I can see the above really annoying me .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I'm starting this tomorrow and and I can see the above really annoying me .

Even certain areas within the same location will differ, I final managed to seal a rift (lvl 12 enemies) that I ran into when I was lvl 7. The areas around it were appropriate but this particular region of the map was much higher.

Playing on Hard. My main problem is that the magic (between spells and staffs) just feels so weak. I have literally come across parts where I am firing spells or fire from the staff at enemies for a solid minute and their health barely moves. I have Vivienne and Dorian. You have me worried now about the next bit :D
    that ****ing castle I fought through to make an alliance with the mages was a complete nightmare as every enemy in it loved to get right up on top of my fire wielding weakling

Stick with the Mage, not sure how you are finding them weak as they are the most overpowered class in the game, playing with Solas, Dorian and Cassandra in my party on nightmare was a doddle and my MC as a rogue. Try to avoid the Ice skill tree as it is the weakest of the lot, I had Dorian Necro/Lightning and Solas Spirit/Fire, also unique drops of staffs seem far more common than any other weapon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So have your main char as a mage your good to go?

So have your main char as a mage your good to go?

Not necessarily, you can turn a rogue into a killing machine coupled with two mages doing large AOE damage and then use a warrior as a tank, set up the right way Cassandra did not die on me once and dealt huge damage.

It is always good to remember as well that you have the choice of controlling any of the 4 members you select in your party, so you can try out other classes and see if they suit and you can cheaply respec in Skyhold at any time, imo Cole is as good as useless and seemed to die everytime and Varric and Sera just do not cut it after a certain point of the game.

Also learn how to use the crafting system as soon as it is made available to you, you can craft far stronger weapons and armour than you can loot 90% of the time, I think when I finished the game nearly all my parties equipped weapons and armour came from crafting.

The characters Sera and Vivienne can also be missed depending on certain choices, once the choices have been made you will never be able to get them as party members and will have no warning of this by the game, make sure to do the Friends of Red Jenny Quest as soon as you get it to unlock Sera and go to Vivienne's Party as well straight away to unlock her for your party.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

In DA:Origins there was a button that when you pressed it effectively highlighted all interactable objects/people as long as you pressing it. Incredibly helpful, but then again the environments were a lot more simple than Inquisition. Shame it's not in DA:I.

That's in Inquisition as well. It's V on the pc by default, and highlights all interactable objects within a certain distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Kiith wrote: »
    That's in Inquisition as well. It's V on the pc by default, and highlights all interactable objects within a certain distance.

They show up on the mini-map too, took me about 50 hours of my game to notice that.

They show up on the mini-map too, took me about 50 hours of my game to notice that.

I only noticed it when I saw there was an inquisition perk to extend the range. this is a game that really could have done with a manual to explain some stuff. The tac camera gets a very poor tutorial in game , it's little more than "it's there to use" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

anyone else enjoy the multiplayer :D hope they expand on it abit with dlc or whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Left click dpad - open map
    Click right stick - show enemy level/info

I know I was ignorant of the above for ages!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Pretty sure they only show on the mini-map after the first patch so unless you started post patch you weren't missing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Have this game about 2 weeks now. 44 hours in and level 16. My main character is a Mage and I went for the Necromancer specialization. Game is amazing to be honest. Not overly hard, loving the story. The game is massive. Multiplayer Coop is also alot of fun.

• Advertisement

Started the game today and dont know what too make of it tbh, Its very pretty, maybe I'll enjoy it more when it opens up, Is there no way too run ? my character seems too run for a couple of seconds and then walks slowly which is annoying.

Advertisement