Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alum Block

• 19-09-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭

I use an alum block every time I shave. Its the Osma one. I run it under the cold tap and rub it on the face after shaving and dry it completely when finished. I have it about a year but seems to be shrinking by the day. I was led to believe that they last years. Am I doing anything wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. It's what I used to do with mine (I don't use it all that often anymore) but I will say that when I was using it everyday it seemed like it would have lasted ages.

I doubt it would last years if you use it everyday. How long have you had it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

hitemfrank wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. It's what I used to do with mine (I don't use it all that often anymore) but I will say that when I was using it everyday it seemed like it would have lasted ages.

I doubt it would last years if you use it everyday. How long have you had it now?

A year or so. Maybe naively I thought it would be like Willy Wonka's everlasting gobstopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

A year or so isn't bad considering the price. How much longer do you reckon you'll get out of it?

hitemfrank wrote: »
    A year or so isn't bad considering the price. How much longer do you reckon you'll get out of it?
    As you put it that way, was not bad value at all. I will probably get another 6 months out of it, thats if I dont drop it and smash it to smithereens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I've lost mine somewhere...at least yours is still there. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I started using one for the first time last week. Liking it so far. My face is definitely feeling the benefit of it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I only started using one since I got in to wet-shaving... great feedback tool. I recently got this one:
    wp6663cce2_05.jpg
    For £3 really happy with it that it has a proper container.

newkie wrote: »
    I only started using one since I got in to wet-shaving... great feedback tool. I recently got this one:
    wp6663cce2_05.jpg
    For £3 really happy with it that it has a proper container.

Where did you lay your hands on that lad?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got one from shaving.ie, very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I use an alum block every time I shave. Its the Osma one. I run it under the cold tap and rub it on the face after shaving and dry it completely when finished. I have it about a year but seems to be shrinking by the day. I was led to believe that they last years. Am I doing anything wrong?

Hi Walter. I have been using my alum block for several years now. I just don't run it under the tap as it will dissolve away a lot of the alum. After shaving, I wash my face and then rub the alum. I forgot the brand I have but it was rectangular block. It was about 15mm thick, about 4 cm in length and 3 cm in width. I use it about 3 times a week and I bought it in the eraly 2000s (I think 2003 or somewhere around there). After using my block, I place it where there is no water underneath or it will dissolve some. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭pawrick

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I got one from shaving.ie, very happy with it.

I got the same one but recently dropped it now it could be used to stab someone lol.

As horsemaster said - don't run it under the tap or it will dissolve and dry it off after use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭ma88

Hello,
    Where can i get the alum block(potassium alum) in Dublin?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

ma88 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Where can i get the alum block(potassium alum) in Dublin?
    Thanks!

Im using this
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/alum-tube.html

Chris from shaving.ie posts here. Great site, great service, irish business. Recommended!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have noticed mine has scratch marks from hairs when a blade was blunt. If you are on Amazon.co.uk you can pick up this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osma-Bloc-Soothes-Shaving-Irritation/dp/B004NEHR28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384381687&sr=8-1&keywords=alum+block

Its only £4,99 and I brought it bring up my order to £25 for free shipping

Advertisement