Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU issues

Options
  • 19-09-2012 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Yesterday I left my computer on standby for around 2 hours and when I came back to resume (which normally works by hitting any button on keyboard) nothing happened. I ended up shutting it down hard by holding the power button. When I went to turn it on nothing happened and I noticed a smell and flash come from the PSU which is a 3 year old Corsair VX550. I (stupidly) tried to boot it again and nothing really happened other than the case fans coming on for a split second. I figured the power supply must be blown but I have a 5 year warranty so filed a RMA request.

I had a brand new Corsair CX600 around for another build so decided to try it with that to see if any other parts were damaged. Upon booting it up there was a loud "bang" sound and (possibly) some smoke from the brand new PSU. Other than that it seemed to be working "fine". Is there a problem with this new PSU too or is there an underlying problem with one of my parts? Also, is the PSU safe to use in another build or should I return it instantly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

return the new psu. describe what happened. if you've damaged it, it could take out your new parts.

check the motherboard for charing or burn marks. it might also smell pretty bad, that electric burn smell is very distinctive.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Upon booting it up there was a loud "bang" sound and (possibly) some smoke from the brand new PSU. Other than that it seemed to be working "fine".

Conflicting sentences right there! Return both PSU's, don't go burning your house down :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭bernardamaac.

Same thing happened to me.I was playin arma and computer just switched off seen a flash and that was it.Only light that came on was the led.I hpe my mobo isnt gone seeing as its a brand new asrock 970 extreme 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭lemon_remon

I took everything out and there didn't appear to be any scorch marks on anything (I guess the Corsair build quality wasn't ALL a lie!). I think the "mini explosion" could have actually come from the wall socket which seems to be faulty... and dangerous. Gonna return the new PSU anyway just to be safe.

Advertisement