Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League Cup Final; Drogheda United v Shamrock Rovers; Tallaght Saturday 22/09/12 17:45

• 19-09-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭

62cd5c1103726c2c7be5a77873a10985_1270731963.png versus Shamrock-Rovers-logo.jpg

Surprised there isn't a thread for this (not that I can find, anyway), considering it's only a few days away. It'd cap off a successful season for Drogheda, while it'd save Rovers' season somewhat.

Does anyone know how tickets are selling? Are you likely to get one on the night? I'm around Dublin, so I might pop down, but obviously I don't want to show up, only to find out it's sold out.

It's presumably on Setanta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Surprised there isn't a thread for this (not that I can find, anyway), considering it's only a few days away. It'd cap off a successful season for Drogheda, while it'd save Rovers' season somewhat.

Does anyone know how tickets are selling? Are you likely to get one on the night? I'm around Dublin, so I might pop down, but obviously I don't want to show up, only to find out it's sold out.

You will have no problem getting a ticket on the day. I can't see the crowd going much over 3000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

No crests? ;)

And yes, it is on Setanta, coverage starts at 5:30

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Very ill in the past week, so I'll be missing this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

You will have no problem getting a ticket on the day. I can't see the crowd going much over 3000.

3,000 for a Cup Final? That's very poor. Rovers have gotten an average of 3,500, and while their attendances have really dropped recently, surely a home final will draw them back? And Drogheda are only an hour or so up the road, playing in their first final since the 2007 Setanta Cup I believe - surely that'll mean a big enough crowd by them?

How many did Dundalk bring to the 2011 Setanta Cup? Drogs will probably bring a similar number.
    Lars1916 wrote: »
    No crests? ;)

And yes, it is on Setanta, coverage starts at 5:30

Happy? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Good luck, Drogs!!!

• Advertisement

dfx- wrote: »
    Very ill in the past week, so I'll be missing this one..

Get well soon :)

And the Shamrock Rovers crest is huge, I suppose, they are favorites? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Get well soon :)

And the Shamrock Rovers crest is huge, I suppose, they are favorites? ;)

I thought it was a bit too big, but the second crest I tried was the same size. I really wasn't bothered wading through a load of crests, just to have them the same size!
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Good luck, Drogs!!!

It's a shame there's not a way for both of them to lose.

I thought it was a bit too big, but the second crest I tried was the same size. I really wasn't bothered wading through a load of crests, just to have them the same size!

It's a shame there's not a way for both of them to lose.

You're grand, I was only messing about the size of the crests ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Our support has dropped off horribly the last 3/4 years since examinership so I don't expect we'll have a big crowd (plus it is only the league cup!) - anything close to 1,000 and I'd be happy enough.

I reckon we're gonna win though :cool:

Btw, can any Rovers fans suggest a watering hole in Tallaght that would be suitable for Drogs fans? The Maldron will obviously be out.
    We tried to arrange something with Ahernes but they don't want large groups of football supporters in their pub anymore because it always ends in trouble supposedly :rolleyes:
    one of the lads suggested the hotel bar in the nearby Plaza?
    I don't know of anywhere else in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Btw, can any Rovers fans suggest a watering hole in Tallaght that would be suitable for Drogs fans? The Maldron will obviously be out.
    We tried to arrange something with Ahernes but they don't want large groups of football supporters in their pub anymore because it always ends in trouble supposedly :rolleyes:
    one of the lads suggested the hotel bar in the nearby Plaza?
    I don't know of anywhere else in the area?

The Aberly Hotel (Spelling) is about a ten minute walk away. Big enough for a big group as well. Ring them before and they might reserve an area for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lumbo wrote: »
    The Aberly Hotel (Spelling) is about a ten minute walk away. Big enough for a big group as well. Ring them before and they might reserve an area for you.

Abberley.

The Metro over at ITT does €3.50 pints and would probably hold you an area, then again, Friday evening it could be busy with students/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Abberley.

The Metro over at ITT does €3.50 pints and would probably hold you an area, then again, Friday evening it could be busy with students/

Won't matter, match is on Saturday.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

3,000 for a Cup Final?

It's the League Cup Final. For a club that's won back-to-back league titles and reached the EL group stages, it's hardly that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

The €30 family tickets were sold out when I went down yesterday. Club shop had plenty of the other ones though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wonder what the priority is for Laws saturday or tuesday. I hope its saturday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Huge game for us , a win would cap a great season . We just havent performed in tallaght at all so a good performance is well overdue . Hard to call what way rovers heads are gonna be like with Laws in charge . 2 1 Drogs will do just nicely .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Drogs one up through O'Brien.

Decent finish, but poor defending.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Could have been 2-0 there, good reactions from Jansson

2-0now, comical own goal from Gilbert

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

"Brian Laws has a lot do at half time" - Checking if there is a release clause in his contract is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Missing the game, fortunately but jesus we are shocking.

Today is summing up our season. We really only needed 3 or four players in preseason and we'd be a totally different squad (LB, CD, ST). Kerra Gilbert, seems to have cost us more goals than he's stopped.

When a Drogs player has the ball in our final third our nearest player is 10 paces away it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This has been a great day, and seeing Drogheda 2-0 up and on their way to the league cup is great. They deserve some trophy/medal for their performances this season.

Rocket of a free kick from Brennan, game on

lol 3-1

Rocket of a free kick from Brennan, game on

Nope.

Once again, ball walked in down Gilberts side from a throw in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

That looked sore

Ebbs wrote: »
    Nope.

Once again, ball walked in down Gilberts side from a throw in.
    How does he keep getting game time? Is their no better alternative?
    That looked sore
    Aye, don't have commentary on if they said anything, but looked like metatarsal?

Drogs were 3/1, madness of a price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Soft sending off to be fair.

Aye, don't have commentary on if they said anything, but looked like metatarsal?

Sullivan Suspended. We have Sean Gannon, no idea why he's being overlooked.

Knock was on the ankle but looked like he was holding his met alright. He'll be out for the rest of the season, id guess.

Wonder will this spur Drogs on to really push for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Seán Gannon

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Well done Drogheda, good to see them get something out of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Well done Drogheda, good to see them get something out of the season

Definitely - delighted for them - they were circling the drain not so long ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Well deserved Drogheda.

Rice spent the game giving away absolutely stupid, petty fouls, I think he's getting past it now unfortunately. Finn on the right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

To be honest, at the start of the season I just hoped the Drogs would avoid relegation. Mick Cooke has worked miracles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Delighted for the Drogs. What a season. Mick Cooke has to be manager of the year, I know Barraclough obviously has to be up there should they get themselves over the line and win the league, but as has been said above, Mick has worked miracles. Delighted for him.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the positive comments lads . This is a victory for all of us who stuck with the club through thick and thin ! Mick Cooke is a god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Superb season for Drogheda and all done on a very prudent budget.

Good few locals in the team as well.

As for Rovers....

You won 2 league titles with an average enough side and didn't push on from last season so no surprise to see it end like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well done to Drogheda. Out played us, won comfortably although for all of 1 minute it looked like it could get interesting. Great support as well, outsang us for the entire game.

Well deserved all and a stunning turn around from where you where not long ago.

Another Hoop with nothing but respect for Drogheda here, right down to the 'Cookie Monster' banner. Really showed up our rabble as a disorganised, uncommitted shower.

It sounds crazy, but I genuinely think Powell just fancied nicking all the hot water with an early shower for his red card. No other explanation for pushing a fellah in that position about six feet away from the linesman. The whole fiasco was an embarrassment, Killer excepted - and he went off injured FFS. Darkest before dawn I guess.

geeky wrote: »
    Another Hoop with nothing but respect for Drogheda here, right down to the 'Cookie Monster' banner. Really showed up our rabble as a disorganised, uncommitted shower.

That was made by a group of young teenagers. The next generation of hardcore coming through I suppose. Great to see.
    An absolute cracker of a day though. It just seemed on and off the pitch Drogs were just so much more up for it than Rovers were.
    Never thought I'd enjoy winning the poxy league cup as much as that!!!

• Advertisement

That was made by a group of young teenagers. The next generation of hardcore coming through I suppose. Great to see.
    An absolute cracker of a day though. It just seemed on and off the pitch Drogs were just so much more up for it than Rovers were.
    Never thought I'd enjoy winning the poxy league cup as much as that!!!

TBH, the whole Rovers set-up was just off the wall from the beginning. The only midfielder in his natural position was Rice - lord knows what sticking Finn out on the right wing was meant to accomplish. Craig Sives has been atrocious this year and hit new depths with Calamity Kerrea beside him. Every time Drogheda attacked, you could practically hear the 'derp's as they bumbled along to try and deal with it. Our best defender at the moment, by some distance, is a 35-year-old alleged pisshead that most of the fans wanted chased out in May.

The only bright point was in attack, where Tommy Stewart had some good touches despite being well short of match fitness, and Killer gave it socks before collapsing like yer man at the end of Platoon. Then Twigg came along and further tarnished his legacy by moping aimlessly around the pitch. Honestly can't remember seeing him jump once for a bloody ball.

Glad they seemed to enjoy it, because days like they enjoyed on Sunday will keep their heads up in the future!

F45U was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

geeky wrote: »

It sounds crazy, but I genuinely think Powell just fancied nicking all the hot water with an early shower for his red card. No other explanation for pushing a fellah in that position about six feet away from the linesman. The whole fiasco was an embarrassment, Killer excepted - and he went off injured FFS. Darkest before dawn I guess.

Any word on what his injury was? He definitely didn't look comfortable when he went down.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Any word on what his injury was? He definitely didn't look comfortable when he went down.

Unconfirmed word is a broken ankle. I thought it looked like he'd done his knee in. Gutted for him, his return is one of the few good things from this season.

F45U was it?

No it was group of young 13 / 14 year old lads that made up some great banners . Never noticed the lads before but hopefully we can start getting some more of them up to utd pk as crowds a dreadful :mad:

Advertisement