Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Sky repairs?

Options
  • 19-09-2012 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,
    Both my Sky boxes are giving me error 25 or 29 - no satellite signal. Sky tech support says it probably a dish or LNB problem and want 100 quid to send an engineer!

Any recommendations for someone who can do these fixes locally for less than that?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

MrMagoo wrote: »
    Hi,
    Both my Sky boxes are giving me error 25 or 29 - no satellite signal. Sky tech support says it probably a dish or LNB problem and want 100 quid to send an engineer!

Any recommendations for someone who can do these fixes locally for less than that?

I reset the box like some other poster on here mentioned a while back and my second box is working again.

Plug out the sky box, press on backup (on the box itself) and keep it pressed, plug the box back in. Wait a few minutes and see what happens.
    My second box was saying it was getting no satellite signal but after doing that its grand.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Hi,

Well in fairness, that €100 that sky will charge you would cover all costs for what ever the problem was, let's just say for example, worst case secnario, both your boxes had packed in, well then the sky engineer would replace both boxes for you, also, chances are your problem is just the LNB is knackered, in that case, you wil get out of it for a lot less that €100, if on the other hand you need a new dish supplied and fitted then your more that likely looking at aleast a €100 euro.

Replacing an LNB is actually a DIY job I you can get access to your dish. There's a local guy on eBay selling lnb's for around €10, I think someone linked his eBay page in an earlier thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Hi,

You tell sky your leaving as it's too expensive for you to pay 100 euro for them to have the pleasure of keeping you as a customer. Soon enough they'll be out with a new box and dish for you for free ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well in fairness, that €100 that sky will charge you would cover all costs for what ever the problem was, let's just say for example, worst case secnario, both your boxes had packed in, well then the sky engineer would replace both boxes for you, also, chances are your problem is just the LNB is knackered, in that case, you wil get out of it for a lot less that €100, if on the other hand you need a new dish supplied and fitted then your more that likely looking at aleast a €100 euro.

Replacing an LNB is actually a DIY job I you can get access to your dish. There's a local guy on eBay selling lnb's for around €10, I think someone linked his eBay page in an earlier thread.

I had a problem with my system and had to get the cable from the hd recorder to the dish replaced. The engineer told me if I was paying full price it would be a few hundred euro. It was worth it this time to pay the €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I reset the box like some other poster on here mentioned a while back and my second box is working again.

Plug out the sky box, press on backup (on the box itself) and keep it pressed, plug the box back in. Wait a few minutes and see what happens.
    My second box was saying it was getting no satellite signal but after doing that its grand.

Does the phone line need to be attached for this to work? I tried it on mine and I got the screen saying to wait 10 mins, 20 mins later it was still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement