Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare and equity from sale of house

Options
  • 19-09-2012 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi.
    I'm selling my house and one of the lucky ones to be in +ve equity. I intend purchasing a site to build. I estimate the combined planning and build process will probably take between a year and a year and a half so I will need to rent during that period. In the meantime my equity (if I sell and I know that's a big IF) will be sitting in an account somewhere. Now to my question:

In the event I were to be made redundant would my equity be taken into account for the purpose of Job Seekers Allowance even though its sole purpose is for the purchase of the new property? I also assume that any redundancy payment is also taken into account for the JSA means test?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Not for job seekers, it will for unemployment benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

If you were to be made redundant, you would possibly be eligible fo Job Seekers Benefit, JSB for one year.

This payment is not means tested.

Advertisement