Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy efficient heaters for an office

Options
  • 19-09-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process of fitting out an office and wondering if anyone can suggest a good energy efficent heater that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And I really would prefer to stay away from storage heaters.

Also I would like to mount them on the office walls rather than be free standing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dnm1234

Hi Jane.

I'm currently fitting out an office in the Mid West and will be using Fahro heaters. They are wall mounted, can be plugged in (and thus moved) and use half the power input of storage heaters with the same output. You also don't need a second night rate meter. They are a bit more expensive than storage heaters but are definitely with it. PM me if you need an electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

similar to farho, we use Lucht Combination heaters in all our offices (wall mount or castors)

They cost from €300-€600 but if for 8 hour heating with time and temo control, you get money back in a year.

Both brands operate on a combination system - the electricity heats up ceramic plates inside the radiator (these things are HEAVY.) Ceramic stays hot for a good while after they are turned off, so in a nutshell, they use about 20 minutes of electricty an hour, but give out heat for the full hour.

Also, from what they say, a 2kw heater will give the equivalent of 2.8kw of heat output

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sandin wrote: »
    They cost from €300-€600 but if for 8 hour heating with time and temo control, you get money back in a year.
    I would be wary of any calculations they use, its very easy to twist figures, there is very little they can do to make electric heaters more efficient. Storage heaters inefficiency is usually because they are heating the room when you are not there.
    sandin wrote: »
    the electricity heats up ceramic plates inside the radiator (these things are HEAVY.) Ceramic stays hot for a good while after they are turned off, so in a nutshell, they use about 20 minutes of electricty an hour, but give out heat for the full hour.
    The energy has to go somewhere, if the ceramic stays hot for ages then lots of power will have had to gone into it. If the ceramics were not there the room would have gotten hot faster, heat gone into the room rather than the ceramics. You can think of it like a kettle, if it is full to the brim it takes longer to reach boiling, also an hour later it will be warmer than a kettle with only a tiny bit of water in it, this does not mean its a good thing.

This is a common misconception people have about oil filled heaters on wheels. Some people figure they are more efficient than say a fan heater, since it retains heat longer -but they take longer to heat up.

If you are leaving an office full of hot ceramic panels then you have lost out on that energy.

Advertisement