Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The death has occurred of good spuds.. RIP

• 19-09-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

So we all know that Jesus had a disciple bring the potato to Ireland, and this is what captivated the hungry masses during the Viking raids of 798. Never forget...

I bought some spuds earlier and steamed them with the skin on. Compared to a week ago they were absolutely disgusting. They were the same variety too, and bought from the same shop.

Who is to blame for this terrible injustice? No more good spuds now until next year.. it's worse than 9/11

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

what happend on the 9th of november?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Spud U no like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

You sound like a right fanny magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Your so pre Celtic Tiger, we are all eaten pasta now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

So we all know that Jesus had a disciple bring the potato to Ireland, and this is what captivated the hungry masses during the Viking raids of 798. Never forget...

I bought some spuds earlier and steamed them with the skin on. Compared to a week ago they were absolutely disgusting. They were the same variety too, and bought from the same shop.

Who is to blame for this terrible injustice? No more good spuds now until next year.. it's worse than 9/11

According to AH it will be:
    British
    Public Sector
    European Union
    Knackers
    PC Brigaders
    People on the dole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Your so pre Celtic Tiger, we are all eaten pasta now.
    and cous cous

wprathead wrote: »
    British
    Public Sector
    European Union
    Knackers
    PC Brigaders
    People on the dole
    Can we blame the Jews or Muslims???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Varied wrote: »

It just seems that way because of how fast they are traveling away from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Seaneh wrote: »
    what happend on the 9th of november?

opal fruits became starburst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0726/potatoes-genetically-modified.html

Teagasc has been granted permission to carry out field trials on a genetically modified potato that would improve resistance to blight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Can we blame the Jews or Muslims???

hmm, don't see much jew-bashing here, but sure, add Muslims to the list:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Par boil, and roast. You could par boil and then roast a rock and I swear you'd love it. Don't though, expectation and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Do you always eat with your jacket on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

Oh

My mistake.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

and cous cous

Thinly veiled "I shop in exotic food shops" post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Varied wrote: »

Wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Get fed up with new boils about a week after they're in season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Thinly veiled "I shop in exotic food shops" post.

Yep, doesn't get much more exotic than Tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It has been an awful year for growing spuds. Far too much rain to get consistent crops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

this is 1845 all over again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

History has the potato arriving in Europe in the15th/16th century and supposedly introduced to Ireland by the chopper bike man in the late 16th century; did we really get them 800 years earlier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Maybe you read too much into the "cremation thread" OP. Over-cooking a full pot of spuds doesn't automatically mean they'll all fit onto the one plate.

Go back for seconds....
    Or just eat 'em straight from the pot:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Spuds have gone to slop recently and have sky-rocketted in price.

In the space of 4 weeks a 10kg bag in out local shop went from 3.99 to 10.99:eek:

More annoyingly, had to throw about a third of the bag out as they were rotten:(

efb wrote: »
    this is 1845 all over again

Not as bad as 1935 though - the oft forgotten about Garlic Potato famine.

Killed approximately 146 million Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Need more info. What type of spud was it. The season for diff types can be shortish. Was it a new potato, when you get them bad they are horrid.

Dont despair though, the spud will never die.

What did we bulk out a meal with before Walter Raleigh/Francis Drake/ Thomas Harriot came back with potatoes?

STOP MAKING FUN OF THE FAMINE!!!!!!!!

MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS WERE PROBABLY EFFECTED BY IT IN SOME WAY PRESUMABLY!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What do you mean 'was it a new potato'? Of course it was new.. I just bought it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

There was a boy in work today bitching about this season's spuds, funnily enough. Said they were pure shyte.

I got a bag in Aldi 2 weeks ago and had some today and they were grand in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

wprathead wrote: »
    British
    Public Sector
    European Union
    Knackers
    PC Brigaders
    People on the dole

Not to mention:
    Skobers
    Greasers
    Dweebs
    Dickheads
    The Mods
    Foreigners
    The church
    Protestants
    Joe Duffy

etc... :rolleyes:
    opal fruits became starburst

Marathon became Snickers.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Can tolerate a bit of plight, long as they don't go all blightey

Have had a similar issue with mushrooms of late.

thank god there was never a garlic bread famine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

What do you mean 'was it a new potato'? Of course it was new.. I just bought it today.

Herein lies your problem.

You lack potato knowledge.

STOP MAKING FUN OF THE FAMINE!!!!!!!!

MY GREAT GREAT GREAT GRANDPARENTS WERE PROBABLY EFFECTED BY IT IN SOME WAY PRESUMABLY!!!!!!!!!

If you are in any way effected by famine jokes, please call the Famine Joke Complaints Line on 0800 1-potato 2-potato 3-potato 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I bought some spuds earlier and steamed them with the skin on. Compared to a week ago they were absolutely disgusting.
    I peel the spuds. I don't care if they're new or not. I peel them. When you peel them, you'll see if they're binable or not, and lately one out of every 5 goes into the bin, as opposed to one in every twenty this time last year. Spuds this year are very bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

If you are in any way effected by famine jokes, please call the Famine Joke Complaints Line on 0800 1-potato 2-potato 3-potato 4

You deserve a thanks for that, made me spit out the tea laughing:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This is that Polish,Nigerian,gypo curse they ere talking about in the dole queue today then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Were they vegetables? We may have eaten them... :P

I'd love to thank that but can't really.

the_syco wrote: »
    I peel the spuds. I don't care if they're new or not. I peel them. When you peel them, you'll see if they're binable or not, and lately one out of every 5 goes into the bin, as opposed to one in every twenty this time last year. Spuds this year are very bad.

Do you peel them even if you're making mash?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

the_syco wrote: »

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

This is that Polish,Nigerian,gypo curse they ere talking about in the dole queue today then.

Oh, not THAT again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I bought a big bag of potatoes (5kg?) from dunnes stores a month ago. Next day opened them and they were all gooey. Like they were rotting in some store room for weeks.

2 weeks ago bought another bag (this time feeling the potatoes inside) were grand. Although 1 or 2 were rotten too. Must be this years batch or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Quite a few Thanks Whores owned in the first ten posts! Awesome result!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

It has been an awful year for growing spuds. Far too much rain to get consistent crops.
    There hasnt be a good spud in years. mind you i havent bought/seen organic, so i dunno it a good spud still exists or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Spuds generally taste like shyte nowadays. They were far nicer when I was a kid.

ArtSmart wrote: »
    There hasnt be a good spud in years. mind you i havent bought/seen organic, so i dunno it a good spud still exists or not.

I grow my own in one of the fields out the back - the last couple of years haven't been bad at all.. two summers ago I had some amazing spuds, but it's been super wet this year & a lot of the crop has rotted in the ground.

It's been the same all over the country which is why the prices have gone up so much over the last few months.

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Spuds generally taste like shyte nowadays. They were far nicer when I was a kid.
    I was gonna write the 'when i was a kid....' but decided I might open myself to slaggin. so i didnt.

I grow my own in one of the fields out the back - the last couple of years haven't been bad at all.. two summers ago I had some amazing spuds, but it's been super wet this year & a lot of the crop has rotted in the ground.

It's been the same all over the country which is why the prices have gone up so much over the last few months.
    yeah, home grown the man. commercial stuff has lost it a/ omph and b/ taste and c/ its omph.

ah, i remember the days, a big bowl of home grown new spuds steaming and the butter melting into..' like cocaine it was. (ahem, i imagine)

Corrie are going to do a famine special- Deirdre over boils the spuds so Ken has an affair -with Blaches corpse- which ironically has potatoes growing out her her rotting flesh- with sexy results!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement