Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing and MSC / MA / PhD

• 19-09-2012 11:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Is it true that if you complete a bachelor of Science, you can do a masters in an Arts degree or a PhD in Arts ?? My friend in college told me this and I find it hard to believe.

I am doing a BSc., so does this mean that i can apply for a PhD in law :confused::confused::confused: Awesome if that is the case :D

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

i think you have a very poor understanding of the entire process

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Not really, from what I was aware of, you could only do a masters or phd in your bachelor field, could you please clarify that for me instead of telling me that I have a poor understanding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭benchppress

there are no rules

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

there are no rules

but what about requirement of prior understanding :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

No. You in theory could APPLY for any M.Sc. / phD etc but if you didn't already have a bachelors degree in the field, you would not get accepted onto the programme!!! ...unless the masters was in a very close field to your primary degree...say you did Environmrntal Science as your primary degree, then potentially you could get a masters in say Environmental Engineering. Or if you were say a Civil Engineer you could apply for a Masters in Town Planning..as they are closely related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Not exactly the most helpful of contributions. The OP asked for information, not a smart-arse put-down. If all you have to offer is the latter, then please don't bother posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Is it true that if you complete a bachelor of Science, you can do a masters in an Arts degree or a PhD in Arts ?? My friend in college told me this and I find it hard to believe.

I am doing a BSc., so does this mean that i can apply for a PhD in law :confused::confused::confused: Awesome if that is the case :D

It's certainly possible. In my field (in arts) when I did my masters there were a few people from not the usual arts-type background. I would say it depends on the demand for the course you want and your own qualifications. But if you want it badly, I could certainly see it happening for you. PhD might be out of reach, a masters on the other hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SandyRamp

I completed an arts degree in NUIM, and followed it with an MSc the year after, so it's possible!

Advertisement