Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking at balbriggan train station

Options
  • 19-09-2012 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm moving to Balrothery soon so going to be getting the train into town from balbriggan each day. Just wondering how quickly the car park fills up in the morning? I'd be getting the 8am train.

Also, if the car park is full, is there anywhere nearby you can park all day instead?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I'm moving to Balrothery soon so going to be getting the train into town from balbriggan each day. Just wondering how quickly the car park fills up in the morning? I'd be getting the 8am train.

Also, if the car park is full, is there anywhere nearby you can park all day instead?

It fills very early and the car park opposite St Peter and Pauls church is the best place to park all day.
    Ever considered cycling down? It's quicker than driving/finding parking etc (I cycle from Balrothery to Balbriggan every day) and you get a smug glow from being "green".....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

also the 101X is a very good service

+1
    I find it much better than the train - leaves on the hour at 7 or 8, hits Stephen's green by 7.40 / 8.40.
    Coming home it is quick too - back at the church in Balbriggan by either 17.30 or 18.15 depending on which one you get.
    Very reliable and you always get a seat, usually without anyone next to you on the 7am, dunno about the 8am. But it stops right outside the Golf club and the balrothery inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

woudnt recommend cycling.. the bike and the lock would be swiped. :eek:

walk it in 15 mins... fast pace

I've been cycling to and from the station for around 18 months. Only once in that time have I had any serious issue with my bike. If you have it well locked it's a deterrent for vandals to interfere with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PurplePoodle

Thanks for replies all :)

I work south of the city centre so I need to get the train straight through, so the bus isn't really an option.

Think it's a wee bit far to walk, esp in the morning (I'm lazy :o) and I don't have a bike though I might consider getting one at some point.

So I guess I have to either get up stupidly early or park elsewhere...

Thanks for replies all :)

I work south of the city centre so I need to get the train straight through, so the bus isn't really an option.

The 101X goes southside - over to Stephens green, then up leeson street, and back down along the canal towards baggot street before heading back to Bus Aras. So it actually goes further southside than the train. Also bear in mind, if you get off the train in Grand Canal Dock rather than pearse street, the ticket is more expensive, and it is not covered by the short hop zone.

I work near Harcourt Street and find the 101X fantastic - if I get the 7am bus I am at Leeson street by 7.35ish, and at my desk by 7.45. Coming home I get either the 16.40 or the 17.30 from Wilton Terrace (depending on what time I can finish at). I am back at the church in Balbriggan in about 50 mins, 1 hour max and that is only when the traffic is particularly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

I second the suggestion of parking in the church, 10 min walk to train station and always get parking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

I would also recommend parking in the church or there is another car park across from the Texaco garage.

These are both free, you have to pay for your parking in the station 3euro per day I think???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

PlainP wrote: »
    I would also recommend parking in the church or there is another car park across from the Texaco garage.

These are both free, you have to pay for your parking in the station 3euro per day I think???

That one accross from Texaco is not an offical carpark, it's a site awaiting a planning application which has been left open for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PurplePoodle

Little Ted wrote: »
    The 101X goes southside - over to Stephens green, then up leeson street, and back down along the canal towards baggot street before heading back to Bus Aras. So it actually goes further southside than the train. Also bear in mind, if you get off the train in Grand Canal Dock rather than pearse street, the ticket is more expensive, and it is not covered by the short hop zone.

Yeah, but I work in Blackrock. It's still in the short-hop zone, maybe the outer one or something, which covers Balbriggan to Bray? The train takes me directly to Blackrock.

If the car park by the church is free that's fine, I can handle a 10-minute walk :) and saves €30 a month in parking fees at the station anyway.

Thanks for your help.

If the car park by the church is free that's fine, I can handle a 10-minute walk :) and saves €30 a month in parking fees at the station anyway.

Thats the one, means you don't get caught in traffic on the main street too!

Hope the move goes well. Been living in Balrothery for over 10 years now and have to say I love the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

2 hour limit on the car park beside the texaco tho! Maverick traffic wardens have been known to get folks there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

2 hour limit on the car park beside the texaco tho! Maverick traffic wardens have been known to get folks there!

Didn't know this, didn't see any signs around saying as much...thanks for the heads up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Is that not private property?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

there is no time limit on the church car park, you must be confusing it with the other one, I have been parking there even since they started charging for parking down by the harbour, the one at the church is a public car park

Yeah, but I work in Blackrock. It's still in the short-hop zone, maybe the outer one or something, which covers Balbriggan to Bray? The train takes me directly to Blackrock.

That must have changed recently so, cos when I was enquiring about the smart card back in January it only covered to Pearse. Good news for you that it goes further afield now.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

+1
    I find it much better than the train - leaves on the hour at 7 or 8, hits Stephen's green by 7.40 / 8.40.
    Coming home it is quick too - back at the church in Balbriggan by either 17.30 or 18.15 depending on which one you get.
    Very reliable and you always get a seat, usually without anyone next to you on the 7am, dunno about the 8am. But it stops right outside the Golf club and the balrothery inn.

Hi Thanks for the info. Very helpful. Do you know what options there are for parking at either the golf club or the balrothery inn? Any idea what weekly, monthly, annual costs are for the bus? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@onemanband - The above info is 4 years old. Just so you know. ;)

Current situation in Balrothery is that there are usually spaces available throughout the day. I find Carolan's 191X service to be reasonably priced, reliable & quick. I get a 10 journey ticket which costs €35. Other tickets are probably available, but that's the one that suits my travel arrangements.

@onemanband - The above info is 4 years old. Just so you know. ;)

Current situation in Balrothery is that there are usually spaces available throughout the day. I find Carolan's 191X service to be reasonably priced, reliable & quick. I get a 10 journey ticket which costs €35. Other tickets are probably available, but that's the one that suits my travel arrangements.

Cheers HillBilly. Is the parking in Balrothry inn iteslf and are there parking charges? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's no parking charges that I know of. Parking is in front of the shops or at the pub car park.

There's no parking charges that I know of. Parking is in front of the shops or at the pub car park.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

onemanband wrote: »
    Thanks

I'd say go for Inn car park, I wouldn't leave it out beside the shops for the whole day with the way tractors do be bating up and down the road...

Advertisement