Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Heavy Rain and High Winds for many as Storm approaches(Mon 24th - Tues 25th Sept)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Bloody hell! :p

Has just reached 50.0mm here now. I declare an.....

......event.

It's a bit like a damp day in Valentia!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I was right to cancel the outdoor work in Louth today. Raining very heavy here since about 12pm. Roads covered in puddles and fields showing some lying water. Still relatively calm though there was a few noticeable gusts a while back during a heavy burst of rain. Is it going to continue for the night? Also a few people have mentioned very strong winds later...is this likely to materialise?

Winds should start to pick up later tonight. Could see gusts up to 70-80 kph in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Su Campu wrote: »
    That could be station level pressure, not sea level.

true, just checked with him there though and hes only at 50m asl
    That's around a 6 hPa sea level correction so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Still nothing here in south Wexford
    Breezy all day and chilly with big dark clouds just hovering around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Railway line closed south of dun laoighre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

is that the end of the heavy rain or is there more to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Railway line closed south of dun laoighre

frabz-SO-IT-BEGINS-22739c.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain much lighter now for the last half hour or so. Rain rate of 1.8mm/hr atm. Total for the day has now reached 53.0mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

diceyd wrote: »
    is that the end of the heavy rain or is there more to come?

thinking the same keep looking out the window, seems very light soft rain if that at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Just had 3 here in Cork now...

That's 3 drops....Not mm's,,,or inches. :D

Feckin boring weather down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

Hammering it down in North East. Took dog a walk nearly got swept out to sea with a huge wave.

Had to go back to car the long route as waves came right up to sea wall.:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain just starting to pick up again now. Total for the day now stands at 54.0mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The current position of the low appears to be an elongated trough from near Manchester to the central North Sea west of Holland. Within that there are probably two main centres, one in south Yorkshire and one over the North Sea.

The models in so far (basically all but ECM) continue the previous theme of the GFS, while there is some variation, the main idea is a gradual retrograde (westward) drift overnight to bring the centre out into the Irish Sea close to the Isle of Man then southwest pretty much halfway from Dublin to Anglesey by about mid-day Tuesday and then to a point between Wexford and southwest Wales by Tuesday night. The lowest central pressures indicated are either late tonight or mid-day tomorrow depending on model, and some of these reach values below 975 mbs (currently around 983 mbs).

This evolution will probably maintain the moderate to heavy rainfalls across most of Leinster and east Ulster with a very slow southward drift of the rainfall shield although not changing the location of heaviest rain which appears likely to stay just inland from Armagh/Down south to north Wicklow. Severe flood potential must be considered given the rainfall rates already achieved with most of the "event" yet to come. This is speculative but you could see local (total storm event 2-3-day) rainfalls of 150 mm in this situation. There could be widespread totals in the 50-100 mm range in the region. These totals will drop off quite sharply west of the Wicklow-Dublin mountains, and into the north-central counties, although some totals of 20-40 mm are possible over the period.

As for wind potential, this is very tricky in the developing situation. With the expected pressure falls and track, it seems likely that very strong NE winds would develop across the northern part of the Irish Sea and impact the coast north of Dublin, whether they reach the capital or not remains to be seen but would be more likely from about Balbriggan north. These winds would be about NNE (020-030 deg) at their max late tonight and so the very strong winds could come inland across portions of Dublin and Kildare counties, but Meath, Louth, Armagh, Down and Antrim are likely to see a longer period of strong winds. Peak gusts likely around 55-60 mph but some potential for higher gusts, will be keeping a very close eye on developments overnight. I should stress that there could be a very sharp cutoff in strong winds as this storm will develop a 30-40 mile wide "eye" feature and eyewall-like rainfall bands that will produce a much weaker wind field near the centre. The M2 buoy could be reporting almost calm winds at the height of this storm at some point. Also, the winds will be much weaker south of the east-west trough in which the low centre will develop, at least until the circulation responds by becoming more circular. This trough is currently oriented from about Drogheda ESE and will now start to pivot around the low centre in northern England, it won't drift much further north on the Irish side of the Sea and by tonight will be drifting south again.

This will become an overnight close watch situation especially for those with impoirtant weather concerns (emergency managers for example) and if you're in a flood-prone area from rivers overflowing in north Leinster you should be aware that continued heavy rain might lead to emergency situations developing late tonight into Tuesday morning. I don't live in your region so not really the best source of guidance on what rivers could overflow but simple logic would say that any river in the region is at risk of overflowing if rainfalls exceed 100 mms. The heavy rain would be mostly over the Liffey and Boyne drainage regions, plus any small streams further north.

The track of the low will be very critical for highest impacts of strong winds, not so much for rainfall. If the low comes out south of the Isle of Man and heads closer to Anglesey, this would mean stronger winds for Dublin. If it came out into the Irish Sea north of the Isle of Man and came closer than I would currently expect to the east coast, this will cut off potential for the strong winds there and shift them into less populated regions further west where the terrain will result in them being weaker for most locations. The track from Isle of Man to central Irish Sea results in the more complex situation described above where there is a sharp cut-off near Skerries (this time I have been looking at maps), but this cut-off point would also tend to drift south with the track of the low.

Let's put it this way, it won't stay almost calm as reported by many in the region, this is a phenomenon of the development process and as soon as the low turns and deepens, much stronger winds will be pulled into the circulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Wind is a force 3 here, cold day with a top temperature of 9.4C, currently 8.7C and with zero rainfall...thankfully so far.
    The coldest day here since the 9th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The latest Met O fax charts make for scary viewing - they keep this "event" going will into Wednesday over much the same areas!!:eek:

PS: The latest radar loop has some very heavy stuff moving into North Wexfod/South Wicklow - not sure if that was forecast:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Pretty quiet in portmarnock at the moment after being heavy most of the afternoon. drove along the coast road towards Howth at half 4, the road was getting close to impassable in places, though thankfully most of it had drained away by 6pm.

Some heavy stuff building in the Irish Sea now just off the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Conditions have really deteriorated here in north Donegal in the past couple of hours, its been raining all day but the wind has really picked up and rain has gotten heavier. A persistent strong breeze at the moment and moderate/heavy driving rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Why does sat 24 show the weather system moving northhttp://www.sat24.com/
    And met.ie have it moving southhttp://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

A pulse of heavier rain heading into Dublin now on the radar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

The surf is covering most beaches in north Dublin now, just about high tide, beaches which are not usually covered, High tide around 08:30 in the morning could be interesting if the wind picks up overnight, and lasts till morning. Definitly a small surge at work now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Significantly heavier Rain here in the last couple of Hours, there is quite a large pond down the road from me that could be on the road if this keeps up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

221868.png

And is someone trying to tell us something?:)
    We might be all needing one by the time this rain is done with us.
    Serious serious flooding risk.

221869.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Met not CLEARLY warning the poor fools whose cars could be destroyed by morning in a flooded underground car parks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Met not CLEARLY warning the poor fools whose cars could be destroyed by morning in a flooded underground car parks etc.
    In ireland there is more chance of peoples cars being under water in estates built in flood plains tbh

I assume those 50-60mph winds are for around sea level, any idea what it'll be like up towards the Sally Gap tomorrow? Not my choice to be there from tomorrow morning!

Rainfall is looking a bit weaker than expected for this time. It may well get stronger again overnight, but if it doesn't then this won't turn out to be anything too severe really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 torrential1

Rainfall is looking a bit weaker than expected for this time. It may well get stronger again overnight, but if it doesn't then this won't turn out to be anything too severe really.
    I noticed that alright. I think the heavier pulses will stay over Britain. I think today will be noted as a wet day but nothing out of the ordinary. I can understand why councils haven't issued any flood warnings, also I was talking to a hydrological guy in Armagh this evening and he not expecting any flooding etc. Still no winds of any note. I pleased as I have outdoor work tomorrow which looks like going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Very calm & quiet up on the hill here in Greystones this evening.
    It pelted down all day in Dun Laoghaire but once I came home from work it was like being in a different weather region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Moderate Rain here now.

Dan :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement