Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self Time-out?

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭

Howdy, all in Feedback. I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but if not, please move it to the right place.

I'm just wondering about the possibility of a self-imposed time-out from Boards? To explain this a bit better, I should preface by saying that I am the queen of procrastination (case in point, I've been meaning to start a thread on this for months. :pac:) I also suffer from very poor impulse control (especially, but not exclusively, when depressed). That means that often, when I have something big due work-wise or when I should be off doing things, I find myself faffing on Boards while the work piles up.

I was a member of another site which catered to addicts like me with the ability to "ban" yourself from the forum for a certain period of time to come back a while later. (It was on a V-bulletin website, if that makes any difference, pretty similar to my untrained eyes to the set-up of this one).

Has this ever been discussed or thought of for Boards? Besides being great for people like me, I suspect it might cut down on the urge to rage quit since closing one's account has become so much simpler.

Just an idea anyway that I thought I would float to get some opinions on. Thanks for your attention. :)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

As I recall the admins used to do sitebans on request to facilitate members such as yourself. However they stopped doing it a couple of years ago and specifically said they wouldn't be doing it any more. I'm pretty sure there was a notice somewhere about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Use to be done but stopped cuz demand was to big at exam time (taking up to much time) and so was stopped...I remember reading.

reuqg0qeuh4534tapfdogj45

Copy and paste that^^^ in as your new password (length permitting) and then print it out and give it to your ma/da/sister/brother/girlfriend to give back to ya in whatever time period.

Edit:Or send it to yourself as a email to be delivered at a future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Use to be done but stopped cuz demand was to big at exam time (taking up to much time) and so was stopped...I remember reading.

reuqg0qeuh4534tapfdogj45

Copy and paste that^^^ in as your new password (length permitting) and then print it out and give it to your ma/da/sister/brother/girlfriend to give back to ya in whatever time period.

That's ingenious! Your username does you no justice, young FETARD. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

dont paste *that* string as your password! its been posted on a public forum.

type some other random series of characters into notepad, copy paste as the password and email to a friend/relative as an attachment to send back to you on X date. Don't post it anywhere else either or store it anywhere with your username.

as for ban-upon-request , nope, we dont do that. we run the risk of someone requesting the ban to be lifted before they are ready and then blaming us for them pissing away their exams. A bit of responsibility for a users own actions is required.

However, the option to put an account into suspended animation might be an idea, like a temporary closure that cannot be undone, even by an admin, until the "defrost" date has been reached. Its one for the developer forum though and nto sure its 100% possible (what happens if a defrost doesnt happen when its supposed to or if the user puts in the wrong date?)

LoLth wrote: »

However, the option to put an account into suspended animation might be an idea, like a temporary closure that cannot be undone, even by an admin, until the "defrost" date has been reached. Its one for the developer forum though and nto sure its 100% possible (what happens if a defrost doesnt happen when its supposed to or if the user puts in the wrong date?)

That was the idea I was less eloquently describing, I think. I'm not sure how it worked on the other site I mentioned and I haven't posted there in long enough that I can bring it up either. But that was kind of how I thought it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Millicent wrote: »
    That was the idea I was less eloquently describing, I think. I'm not sure how it worked on the other site I mentioned and I haven't posted there in long enough that I can bring it up either. But that was kind of how I thought it worked.

Unfortunately the only option we had was to ban someone until they asked for the ban to be lifted in Prison. It's an inelegant solution and it became a burden to manage as people were asking for bans in their droves around exam time. In the end it was decided that personal responsibility was they way to go.

Zaph wrote: »
    Unfortunately the only option we had was to ban someone until they asked for the ban to be lifted in Prison. It's an inelegant solution and it became a burden to manage as people were asking for bans in their droves around exam time. In the end it was decided that personal responsibility was they way to go.

That's fair enough. The idea I was raising was an automated system. I imagine doing it manually would be a nightmare for mods. Got some good DIY alternatives here though. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Enjoy your break :)

Zaph wrote: »
    Enjoy your break :)

I'm procrastinating on taking it! :D But I will when I do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Speaking as a long-term student, a temp ban from Boards isn't going to make you concentrate any more. Users will most likely find another forum or website or anything to procrastinate on!

I shut off my laptop earlier to get some reading done, knit a good portion of a scarf instead :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

And just incase you're sending it to someone who happens to be a secret Boardie and sees this Thread, add a word like apple (but not apple:P) that you'll remember on to the end of it.
    You could easily forget what word you added after a week or two.A much better option is to split it into two and give the first half to one person and the second half to someone else.

As a final precaution, send yourself a mail reminding yourself who you actually gave the pw to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I used to leave my phone behind the bar of whatever pub I was in to stop myself drunk texting when I went home. Until one morning I woke up in the garden of an ex girlfriend as her dad was coming out to go to work. If that wasn't bad enough I'd shat myself n the night and been sick over their jack Russell.

Be careful what you wish for Millicent. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Where To wrote: »
    If that wasn't bad enough I'd shat myself n the night and been sick over their jack Russell.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

If that wasn't bad enough I'd shat myself n the night and been sick over their jack Russell.
    :eek:
    Don't worry it's just a parable.

It was an ex-boss, not an ex-gf.

I used to leave my phone behind the bar of whatever pub I was in to stop myself drunk texting when I went home. Until one morning I woke up in the garden of an ex girlfriend as her dad was coming out to go to work. If that wasn't bad enough I'd shat myself n the night and been sick over their jack Russell.

Be careful what you wish for Millicent. :)

Jesus Christ! I'm sorry, Boards. I will never leave you. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

LoLth wrote: »

Nope :) We're not these crazy beings who are compelled to use internet forums, demonstrate a little self-control and just log off and not back on for a while :o

Nope :) We're not these crazy beings who are compelled to use internet forums, demonstrate a little self-control and just log off and not back on for a while :o

Never! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭WhimSock

This was a huge problem for me. In the end I just asked people to take the internet cables away for the day or hide them. Sure, I found other things to distract myself with. Productive things, but I got loads more work done too.

Advertisement