Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chocolate biscuits............

• 20-09-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

how come they're so expensive? Went to my local Centra this evening and they were charging 2.80 for a packet if McVities digestive and 3.40 for a packet of Hobnobs!! I couldn't believe it!! Drove down to Aldi and got a bigger packet of their own brand chocolate digestives for 82 cent!!! I mean if there was a difference of 20 or 30 cent I would have accepted it for convenience and all that but over three times the price is crazy!! Maybe it's like the price of petrol and all down to the war in Syria or the Taliban or the IMF or something or are we all suckers for putting up with this crap!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Jammy dodgers are the way of the future.

Toffeepops are also superb but Jammy Dodgers shade it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Look at the ingredients on those Aldi muck you call biscuits.

Pure muck.

Get more satisfaction eating a pack of Rizla skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

TheBoss! wrote: »
    Look at the ingredients on those Aldi muck you call biscuits.

Pure muck.

Get more satisfaction eating a pack of Rizla skins.

They tasted much the same as McVities, honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

It's a well known fact that the Centra Franchise is run by the Taliban.

Congratulations on supporting terrorism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

how come they're so expensive? Went to my local Centra this evening and they were charging 2.80 for a packet if McVities digestive and 3.40 for a packet of Hobnobs!! I couldn't believe it!! Drove down to Aldi and got a bigger packet of their own brand chocolate digestives for 82 cent!!! I mean if there was a difference of 20 or 30 cent I would have accepted it for convenience and all that but over three times the price is crazy!! Maybe it's like the price of petrol and all down to the war in Syria or the Taliban or the IMF or something or are we all suckers for putting up with this crap!!!

You can get two packs of Centra Butter biscuits for two euro, they have chocolate on them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Saying on a open forum that Aldi chocolate digestives taste the same as a pack of McVitie's Chocolate Digestives - well, you might as just gave us the name of your drug dealer as now we all know you were smoking weed tonight and bought those biscuits because you had the munchies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

TheBoss! wrote: »
    Saying on a open forum that Aldi chocolate digestives taste the same as a pack of McVitie's Chocolate Digestives - well, you might as just gave us the name of your drug dealer as now we all know you were smoking week tonight and bought those biscuits because you had the munchies.

Have you tried Aldi's version?

Too many people slating Aldi and I bet half haven't even tried their stuff.
    Also the majority of their stuff is made by well known companies, i.e their McGrath's tea is made by Robert Rbts and their sausages by Oldhausen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Jammy dodgers are the way of the future.

Toffeepops are also superb but Jammy Dodgers shade it

Oh god. Toffeepops. They're like heroin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Cuz it's centra

It's the way we live today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

1. Buy cheap Aldi plain biscuits

2. Buy cheap Aldi chocolate

3.?????????????

4. Profit!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Chocolate is a lot like sex.

Looks good when other people are enjoying it but makes you feel dirty, bloated and like there's something stuck in your teeth when you try it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Try a good pack of Aldi Ginger Nuts and none of your fancy ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Oh god. Toffeepops. They're like heroin.
    Yes! Them and Jaffa cakes are too addictive. Plus they were kind enough to add a "only 1 gram of fat" label on the side so after you've hogged out the entire box, you can easily work out exactly how much lard is sitting happily on your arse.

Thanks for that McVities :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Did me first ever shop in Lidl tonight, and couldn't believe they do all mcvities and foxes etc. Got cadbury's caramel biscuits for 1.50, and viscounts for the same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Then what's the problem?

If you're going to buy the cheap ones, McVities could be a tenner a packet and it won't affect you! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hmm, Cadburys Rich Teas are definitely my favourite chocolate biscuits. They are not that expensive though. You can get them in a large pack for €2 in a local Supervalu. :D

You can also try in the summertime (or possibly anytime) combining a mcvities dark chocolate digestive with vanilla ice cream.

My cousin called it a mcvities iceberger. It tasted really good.

I'd love some choc hobnobs now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Where To wrote: »
    Chocolate is a lot like sex.

Looks good when other people are enjoying it but makes you feel dirty, bloated and like there's something stuck in your teeth when you try it yourself.

What kind of sex are you having?

McVitae's Caramel biscuits were awesome, haven't had them in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

It's probably a good thing they're expensive. So much junk food is dirt cheap.

They probably did but that's not the point. They probably had an ingredients list as long as your arm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Now I want chocolate biscuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Chocolate Hobnobs are the best by an absolute mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

LizT wrote: »
    Now I want chocolate biscuits.

Damn me too. The morning Tea break is coming up and all we have in the Canteen is Marietta biscuits and Custard Creams (the person in charge of the T-Club shopping this week is an evil bastárd)

So a choice between drinking 6 cups of tea while eating one Marietta as they'd leave you dehyrated otherwise or go for the dreaded Custard Cream, and hope that all the artificialness and chemicals in the "cream" don't shut down bodily function before home time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

packet of toffee pops in dcu spar for 1 euro.

can't beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Garibaldi are highly addictive

Plazaman wrote: »
    Damn me too. The morning Tea break is coming up and all we have in the Canteen is Marietta biscuits and Custard Creams (the person in charge of the T-Club shopping this week is an evil bastárd)

So a choice between drinking 6 cups of tea while eating one Marietta as they'd leave you dehyrated otherwise or go for the dreaded Custard Cream, and hope that all the artificialness and chemicals in the "cream" don't shut down bodily function before home time.

I actually really like Marietta. :o Nicest plain biscuit, IMO.

I've done the aldi/mcvities taste test, easy to say that aldi taste as good as mcvities when you haven't had the latter in a while, the fact of the matter is that mcvities make the nicest digestive biscuits, no contest. And they were always going to be dearer in a convenience store OP, choccie hobnobs and mcvities digestives are buy one get one free in tesco at the moment!

I wish I hadn't seen this thread, I'd love a toffeepop now.

I've done the aldi/mcvities taste test, easy to say that aldi taste as good as mcvities when you haven't had the latter in a while, the fact of the matter is that mcvities make the nicest digestive biscuits, no contest. And they were always going to be dearer in a convenience store OP, choccie hobnobs and mcvities digestives are buy one get one free in tesco at the moment!

I wish I hadn't seen this thread, I'd love a toffeepop now.

omg toffypops yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

FatherLen wrote: »
    packet of toffee pops in dcu spar for 1 euro.

can't beat it.

Viscount biscuits for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chocolate bikkies were a treat when I was a lad and that's how we should still think of them. ( only 65 cents in lidl and perfectly good by the way)

bluewolf wrote: »
    omg toffypops yes.

You've got to eat them a certain way too. Nibble off all the excess biscuit from around the edges, then separate the biscuit on the bottom from the toffee with your Tongue, eat the biscuit and suck on the remaining toffee. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I'll just go back to eating my blueberries now >.<

You've got to eat them a certain way too. Nibble off all the excess biscuit from around the edges, then separate the biscuit on the bottom from the toffee with your Tongue, eat the biscuit and suck on the remaining toffee. Mmmmmmmmmm.

I'll just go back to eating my blueberries now >.<

I scrape off the toffee with my teeth first then eat the rest.
    Or eat the edge first too then the toffee.

Your approach sounds intriguing. Clearly, I need to buy a packet and experiment... for science reasons, of course...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Aldi 300g choc digestive biscuits 69c are yum, particularly the dark version. In my view, better than the €2.49 McVities version.

Your approach sounds intriguing. Clearly, I need to buy a packet and experiment... for science reasons, of course...

Toffee is the best bit, must be eaten last.

It'll almost certainly take a few goes to get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tried a Special K Chewy Delight chocolate bar the other day with a cup of tea, was fooking lovely, wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was.

• Advertisement

Any other lads here wishing their knobs were made of toffee?:P

Any other lads here wishing their knobs were made of toffee?:P

From the first description - yes!
    From the second - not so sure :o

:P

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Hmm, Cadburys Rich Teas are definitely my favourite chocolate biscuits. They are not that expensive though. You can get them in a large pack for €2 in a local Supervalu. :D

These are so good.

€1.49 in Tesco right now. I think this is an introductory price though.

The toffee on Toffipops seems to soft for that.

How do you eat your Twixes?

Quorum wrote: »

Please please don't answer that whoopsydidflyeyedoodles, I've got a lot of work to do this afternoon ;)

• Advertisement

bite off the edges then eat off the caramel

huh, pattern emerging :)

Nah it's not, it goes all gooey.

There's two ways of eating a twix, depending on whose company you're in!

First is to eat the biscuit, then the toffee.

But the best way, is to bite each end of the twix, put it in your tea, suck up the tea through the bar, and then the biscuit goes all soft and you lick that off the toffee and then get the toffee in your gob as quick as you can before you make a mess :)

God be with the days where you used to put the food in your gob, chew and then swallow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I love Border Biscuits - especially their dark chocolate ginger ones. They're expensive, but I'm worth it.

Nah it's not, it goes all gooey.

There's two ways of eating a twix, depending on whose company you're in!

First is to eat the biscuit, then the toffee.

But the best way, is to bite each end of the twix, put it in your tea, suck up the tea through the bar, and then the biscuit goes all soft and you lick that off the toffee and then get the toffee in your gob as quick as you can before you make a mess :)
    Bye bye afternoon :(

Bye bye afternoon :(

Gonna have to pay your own Soiling Charge now eh :(

:pac:

What did I do??

What did I do??

Don't play the innocent with us..... :p

What did I do??
    A twix and a toffeepop so far. . .

Im outa here before the toblerone comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Price will be different depending on which centra store you were in. Centra have 3 pricing levels depending on what location (what they can get away with) their in. City centre Centra will be much dearer than one in the countryside.

• Advertisement
Advertisement