Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper heating methods?

Options
  • 20-09-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Currently have u/floor heating - in a poorly insulated house (built 2003). Spending over €550 on oil each month during Winter to heat and never warm (just not freezing!) Don't have the cash to do all insulating required (few quotes around 8k - cud get bk 2k in grants- house is 4000 sq ft - with large atrium style hall). I was thinking of getting some storage heaters as I do have dual rate electricity. Often have to turn on small electric heaters anyway in bedrooms - avg bill €300 p/m during winter also. Can anyone advise best options plz?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Unfortunately heating a poorly indulated home that large is always going to be very expensive. The only sensible thing to do is save up and insulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Save up and insulate, whatever way you heat your home now it will be expensive .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What the others above said goes without saying. With UFH insulation is very important as your trying to keep the building at a constant temp, very difficult if it's loosing heat all the time.

You could consider adding rads to the existing oil system to give you heat when you need it and not have to depend on the UFH. I'm guessing you thought of that and dont want to rip the place up. Storage heaters might give you some additional comfort, but think your going to have to bite the bullet at some stage.

Advertisement