Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power disconnected without warning

Options
  • 20-09-2012 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

To whom it may concern,

On August 17th My Partner and I signed a lease and moved into a house via a property agency.

I specifically asked who would switch over the electricity and was informed that the property agency would...

2 days ago (one month later) I arrive home from work to discover I have no power. I checked the trip switched, main fuse, all ok, neighbours all have power so I ring the esb fault line...

"Oh you have been disconnected, the previous tenant is still on the bill and there is nothing we can do until the morning, plus it will take 2-3 days to be reconnected"

As you can imagine I was livid, rang the property agency who admitted fault as they had gotten a digit wrong in their email correspondance with EI.

So yes a mistake was made (not my own) however according to Electric Ireland Code of Practice for billing and payments...

The notice to customers which warns
    of the impending disconnection will
    be sent in writing and will specify:
     That 10 working days’ notice,
    including the reason for
    disconnection, is being given of the
    intention to request the relevant
    Network Operator to disconnect for
    non-payment.
     The costs associated with the
    disconnection and reconnection of
    the supply.
     That arrears may not be paid to the
    person(s) carrying out the
    disconnection.
     Contact details for Electric Ireland
    Credit Control staff to discuss
    settlement terms.
     Contact details for a nominated
    support agency to be agreed with
    CER as appropriate e.g. MABS.
     Note: No disconnection calls will be
    made on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday,
    eve of a Public Holiday or a Public
    Holiday.

No such notification was sent to the house, not in my name or any other.

So here I am left without heat, light, power, with a fridge of rotting food because of no fault of my own.

I have spent the entire day on the phone trying to get this sorted and to no avail. Both the property agency and myself have emailed credit control on numerous occasion and given everything requested. I have found the service appalling to be honest, and I have been treated like I am at fault and that I have to do everything to fix the problem.

I just hope that eventually I will find a competent individual who can actually deal with this issue, although I am beginning to doubt that that will ever happen. Rest assured that I will be making formal complaints to the energy regulator about how I have been treated in the fiasco.

I am not going to post any personal information or account details on here as this is a public forum but please feel free to contact me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Psycjay,

Sorry to read of this difficult situation. Please private message me the MPRN (meter point reference number of your address) and your name in full.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dupek

psycjay wrote: »
    To whom it may concern,

On August 17th My Partner and I signed a lease and moved into a house via a property agency.

I specifically asked who would switch over the electricity and was informed that the property agency would...

2 days ago (one month later) I arrive home from work to discover I have no power. I checked the trip switched, main fuse, all ok, neighbours all have power so I ring the esb fault line...

"Oh you have been disconnected, the previous tenant is still on the bill and there is nothing we can do until the morning, plus it will take 2-3 days to be reconnected"

As you can imagine I was livid, rang the property agency who admitted fault as they had gotten a digit wrong in their email correspondance with EI.

So yes a mistake was made (not my own) however according to Electric Ireland Code of Practice for billing and payments...

The notice to customers which warns
    of the impending disconnection will
    be sent in writing and will specify:
     That 10 working days’ notice,
    including the reason for
    disconnection, is being given of the
    intention to request the relevant
    Network Operator to disconnect for
    non-payment.
     The costs associated with the
    disconnection and reconnection of
    the supply.
     That arrears may not be paid to the
    person(s) carrying out the
    disconnection.
     Contact details for Electric Ireland
    Credit Control staff to discuss
    settlement terms.
     Contact details for a nominated
    support agency to be agreed with
    CER as appropriate e.g. MABS.
     Note: No disconnection calls will be
    made on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday,
    eve of a Public Holiday or a Public
    Holiday.

No such notification was sent to the house, not in my name or any other.

So here I am left without heat, light, power, with a fridge of rotting food because of no fault of my own.

I have spent the entire day on the phone trying to get this sorted and to no avail. Both the property agency and myself have emailed credit control on numerous occasion and given everything requested. I have found the service appalling to be honest, and I have been treated like I am at fault and that I have to do everything to fix the problem.

I just hope that eventually I will find a competent individual who can actually deal with this issue, although I am beginning to doubt that that will ever happen. Rest assured that I will be making formal complaints to the energy regulator about how I have been treated in the fiasco.

I am not going to post any personal information or account details on here as this is a public forum but please feel free to contact me.
    I had a not dissimilar event...

write to electric Ireland & complain, threaten to Escalate your complaint to the C.E.R .. i can help you write a complaint if that helps.. when dealing with companies such as Electric Ireland (credit control) request that any contentious issues discussed over the phone are followed up with an email from Electric Ireland outlining what has & or has not been agreed..( or only communicate in writing advising you will only accept written responses.) you will find this saves a lot of time going over old ground & gives you hard copy of conversations agreements & the like that you may need to rely upon at a future date.

Advertisement