Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Process of an American becoming an Irish Citizen?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

xNightOwlx wrote: »
    Ah that's great news i like to hear. I have another question me and my girlfriend would like to get married tho when she comes to ireland after a few days etc.. signing our names down in a registry hall would it be possible for her to apply for the Stamp 4 when were married or does she have to go through all the stamps etc Stamp 1,2,3,4. And what are the requirements for Stamp 4 is it just being married? Sorry i just want to have a really good understanding im sorry if i have been a pain to you, you have been a really really great help.

I have two questions for you then I will answer your question, neither is to be taken as insulting, firstly is English your first language? Secondly what age are you?

Firstly you can not get married after a few days, you will be required to give 3 months notice to the Registrar for Marriages google it all info on local one to you on the Internet. Here it is http://www.groireland.ie/getting_married.htm

Once married then you and wife can apply for stamp 4, until its granted you wife cannot work, it can take upto a year to be granted.

No the stamps do not go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4, as I have said already stamp one is a work permit stamp that may be used for example by a doctor or other professional, it allows the person to reside but can only work if a work permit is granted. Stamp 2 is a student permission must be on approved course of study, can only work 20 hours per week in term 40 hours out of term, this stamp give no rights to long term permission to remain or citizenship, stamp 3 is given to a family member of a person one of the other stamps who does not need to work. And we have discussed stamp 4.

This might explain it better http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Stamps

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xNightOwlx

I have two questions for you then I will answer your question, neither is to be taken as insulting, firstly is English your first language? Secondly what age are you?

Firstly you can not get married after a few days, you will be required to give 3 months notice to the Registrar for Marriages google it all info on local one to you on the Internet. Here it is http://www.groireland.ie/getting_married.htm

Once married then you and wife can apply for stamp 4, until its granted you wife cannot work, it can take upto a year to be granted.

No the stamps do not go from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4, as I have said already stamp one is a work permit stamp that may be used for example by a doctor or other professional, it allows the person to reside but can only work if a work permit is granted. Stamp 2 is a student permission must be on approved course of study, can only work 20 hours per week in term 40 hours out of term, this stamp give no rights to long term permission to remain or citizenship, stamp 3 is given to a family member of a person one of the other stamps who does not need to work. And we have discussed stamp 4.

This might explain it better http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Stamps

17, English, Autistic.
    Thank you for the information given.
    My father wanted me to get information about what to do when my girlfriend comes over if she wanted to live in the Rep Of Ireland with me. I guess that will be all the information i need. You have been a great help!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The OP is 17 years old, and has yet to meet his 18 year old internet girlfriend.

This thread might be better off closed to be honest.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

17, English, Autistic.
    Thank you for the information given.
    My father wanted me to get information about what to do when my girlfriend comes over if she wanted to live in the Rep Of Ireland with me. I guess that will be all the information i need. You have been a great help!.

You will need to be 18 to marry. I very much doubt that any time before your 18th birthday will be taken into account for defacto.

Your best bet is use the money saved to have a holiday over there and her here and see how it works out, over time.

You will need to be 18 to marry.

I overheard i can have consent from my parents to be allowed to be married at my age.
    But either way i don't mind waiting she doesn't have to come over straight away.

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    The OP is 17 years old, and has yet to meet his 18 year old internet girlfriend.

This thread might be better off closed to be honest.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Not to be rude but were being serious here not childish thank you.
    Ive been getting alot of great information here so there's no need for that.

I overheard i can have consent from my parents to be allowed to be married at my age.
    But either way i don't mind waiting she doesn't have to come over straight away.

Again incorrect information you will need to get permission of a Circuit or High court judge, to be honest I can not see any judge giving permission in such circumstances.

Again incorrect information you will need to get permission of a Circuit or High court judge, to be honest I can not see any judge giving permission in such circumstances.

Aw well. Thanks for your help you have been really great!.
    Might as well wait another year for her to come over.

Aw well. Thanks for your help you have been really great!.
    Might as well wait another year for her to come over.

With the money you have saved get a passport, go with a family member or good friend to the US and meet her have a good holiday and see if ye click.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

With the money you have saved get a passport, go with a family member or good friend to the US and meet her have a good holiday and see if ye click.

Probably the best bit of advice here tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Ah that's great news i like to hear. I have another question me and my girlfriend would like to get married tho when she comes to ireland after a few days etc..

This is never a good idea. My advice to you would be as follows. First off, get her to visit here for a week or two and get to know each other properly. Show her around Ireland and actually have your first physical date. Hit the cinema, go for a meal and all that sort of jazz.

After she goes home and things are still going well, maybe look at partaking in the J visa programme for the summer and see how that goes. It allows you work in America for three months.

If that goes well, well then take it from there. As someone who got married too young for non visa reasons, I strongly urge you not to marry for purely visa reasons, too young. Get to know each other first and be sure that you actually want to marry for love, not lust.

That said, I hope it works out.

Best of luck, pal. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OP - be aware of all sorts of scams involving girls and the internet. Take offence if you like but just be thinking with the big head not the little head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

OP, I'm just curious. You're English - right? Why are you so anxious to get your girlfriend an Irish passport? It's no easier to obtain one than it is to get UK one. Are you resident in the RoI?

And yes - I agree with the others. Take your time to get to know the young lady before you speak of marriage. For a start, you need to give 3 months notice of marriage. For a Stamp 4, you have to show evidence of a long-term relationship. (photos, bills, letters, even bank statements) How are you going to do that if you've never even met in person? I don't know the cost of getting a stamp, but am sure it won't be cheap when you tie in the costs of legal advice, etc.

I'm English too. I am resident here having married an Irishman. Even if I wanted to, I cannot apply for citizenship until we've been married for five years. Naturalisation isn't cheap by a long chalk. Think it costs E975, but I stand to be corrected on what I've written.

Take your time. If she's the one for you, she won't mind the caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

OP, I'm just curious. You're English - right? Why are you so anxious to get your girlfriend an Irish passport? It's no easier to obtain one than it is to get UK one. Are you resident in the RoI?

And yes - I agree with the others. Take your time to get to know the young lady before you speak of marriage. For a start, you need to give 3 months notice of marriage. For a Stamp 4, you have to show evidence of a long-term relationship. (photos, bills, letters, even bank statements) How are you going to do that if you've never even met in person? I don't know the cost of getting a stamp, but am sure it won't be cheap when you tie in the costs of legal advice, etc.

I'm English too. I am resident here having married an Irishman. Even if I wanted to, I cannot apply for citizenship until we've been married for five years. Naturalisation isn't cheap by a long chalk. Think it costs E975, but I stand to be corrected on what I've written.

Take your time. If she's the one for you, she won't mind the caution.

I don't know about US citizens, but having some experience of a family member marrying a Ugandan and now one on my wife's side marrying a Ghanaian the UK seem a darn sight easier on visa etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I don't know about US citizens, but having some experience of a family member marrying a Ugandan and now one on my wife's side marrying a Ghanaian the UK seem a darn sight easier on visa etc.

Nope. Don't believe the hype. Until a recent EU ruling, you had to get Home Office permission to marry. At the time this cost about £300. And there was still no guarantee the spouse could get a visa or indefinite leave to remain. My cousin went through all this a few years ago. She now has UK citizenship, but after 12 years marriage to a UK national, two British children, and a load of HO hassle, I wouldn't say it was easy. Not by a long chalk. Now you don't need HP permission to marry, but they don't make it easy at all to get ILTR. It's not as nailed on as you think.

Advertisement