Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

At what age do you cease being young?

• 20-09-2012 8:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I reckon it's about 28-30. I'm talking chronologically, not your as young as feel nonsense.

By 30 you have lived over one third of your life, so I don't believe you are young anymore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm 32 and haven't lived a third of my life just yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

About three fiddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Confab wrote: »
    I'm 32 and haven't lived a third of my life just yet.
    What age do you expect to live to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Gauss, why did you decide that middle aged meant the middle third? It could be the middle 5th... or 7th...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

At what age do you cease being young?

You don't.
    When in the company of me ma I'm young. When with my kids I'm old. They're all relatives.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Gauss wrote: »
    What age do you expect to live to?

I'd guess at 97

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I've just turned 32 and I'd consider anything up to late thirties as young! Maybe that's just wishful thinking though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Op if you are asking then it means you are OLD!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

smash wrote: »
    Gauss, why did you decide that middle aged meant the middle third? It could be the middle 5th... or 7th...

Well you have youth, middle age and old age. It seems people think youth makes up 60 percent of your life.

By thirty a woman's fertility has significantly fallen and a man's testosterone levels are dropping. Certainly not young anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You are as young as the woman you feel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well it's all relative

obviously teenagers wouldn't consider someone in their thirties as young.. but who the **** gives a **** what teenagers have to say about anything?
    once you hit late 40's-50's I guess you have a harder time arguing your case for being young but then i'm in my late twenties so I would say that... might be singing a different tune when I hit my late 40's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Never!!

*Takes matchbox car out of pocket and fly it through the air making airplane sounds while it shoots lasers..................then takes drink out of a bottle of Yop*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I'm 39 this month, but I'm still about 26 in my head!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

40 is middle aged, so you cease being young when you hit the big 4 Ouch. next febuary for me unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The moment you make a little grunt or groan when standing up from the couch is the moment you can no longer consider yourself young.

You often hear of someone dying of a heart attack in their 40's as being young. And as generations pass, people are living a lot longer. There's a lot of people 90+ out there now, so you can't say exactly what middle aged is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I dont care once my mickey still works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Whenever I stop having fantasies about certain boards moderators.

Where To wrote: »
    Whenever I stop having fantasies about certain boards moderators.
    OldGoat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

When you used to be with it, but then they changed what "it" was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

smash wrote: »
    OldGoat?
    Every holes a goal! :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Once you leave your teens,unfortunately :(
    Anyone that says differently is just wishful thinking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

The moment you make a little grunt or groan when standing up from the couch is the moment you can no longer consider yourself young.

i was 15 when I started doing that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Young" is anyone who is your current age +/- 7 years.

"Child" is anyone who is more than ten years younger than you.

My mother is one year away from pension age and would still call herself young while anyone in their seventies or more is "old", according to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

In the case of men they never get old, they reach puberty, and that's the way they stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Don't think I will ever cease being young in my head. Turning 40 next March, and still snigger at things I would have when I was 16. Mainly highly inappropriate things:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

And the older you get, the more the grunt becomes a prolonged guttural growl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

73Cat wrote: »
    Don't think I will ever cease being young in my head. Turning 40 next March, and still snigger at things I would have when I was 16. Mainly highly inappropriate things:D

Boobs!:pac:

You cease being young when you have children. So by my reckoning, the Pope is one hip gunslinging dude.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sir Pompous Righteousness

When you become a parent and smoke 40 cigarettes a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Davidth88 wrote: »
    You are as young as the woman you feel

I don't feel women

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I don't feel women

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Why not?

Because I'm a gay man.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Ask a child ( not any random child on the street ) they will tell you, I remember when I was 22 a kid who was dossing on the street shouted at me " here auld lad what time is it"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Red Hand wrote: »
    Boobs!:pac:

You cease being young when you have children. So by my reckoning, the Pope is one hip gunslinging dude.:cool:

Willies, in my case:D

Not true! I have 3 kids...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I reckon you're no longer young when you become independent. For most people, that's when they leave education, get their own home, and start working. But I'm not sure that being 40 and living with Mammy makes you young...

Then you become middle-aged when you have kids and a mortgage.

Not sure about old, I'm not there yet. Probably when you start giving out about young people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You know you are old when you start saying things to your kids/nieces/nephews that your parents said to you when you were younger!

"Get down off that wall or you'll kill yourself!"
    "If that dinner isn't eaten there will be no shop for you later!"
    "Anymore fighting and I'll turn this car around"

etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

was buying beer in tesco the other day,woman at the counter looks at me,and says any ID on you :)
    i replied dont i look 25 :D,anyway i showed my ID and she goes you must have lots of trouble on nights out and in pubs,
    as you barely look 18.Anyway i laughed it off i do look young and wish i was,as shaving every morning is pain in the a$$,doesn't even need half day for hair to start popping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Cant remember what age I was, maybe 22 or 23....anyway, some young lad, maybe 7 or 8, asked me something but started it with "Hey mister...." I just thought....fúck you, ya little bollix......anyway....it was that day for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

as soon as you are at a party and you ask for the music to be turned down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

5 years older than you currently are...at any point in time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Professor Monkey foraHead

As soon as you start referring to your girlfriend as your wife.

Gauss wrote: »
    I reckon it's about 28-30. I'm talking chronologically, not your as young as feel nonsense.

By 30 you have lived over one third of your life, so I don't believe you are young anymore.

:( Just turned 29 :(

scamalert wrote: »
    was buying beer in tesco the other day,woman at the counter looks at me,and says any ID on you :)
    i replied dont i look 25 :D,anyway i showed my ID and she goes you must have lots of trouble on nights out and in pubs,
    as you barely look 18.Anyway i laughed it off i do look young and wish i was,as shaving every morning is pain in the a$$,doesn't even need half day for hair to start popping out.
    This happened me in Lidl buying a cheap bottle of plonk (asking for it I suppose lol) and the cashier started looking at me through narrowed eyes and demanded ID. gave her my driver's license and said, "See? I'm 11 years older than the limit". Laughed it off though, and was chuffed tbh

I guess I would therefore define "old" as the day you start being happy that someone has actually asked for ID.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'm 29 but I'm still asked for id if I'm clean shaven.
    I'm aging well thank ****.
    But I have more than a few mates the same age who act like they're in their fifties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 In Bloom

When you start making that "Uggghh!" sound when you bend over and pick something up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Once you leave your teens,unfortunately :(
    Anyone that says differently is just wishful thinking.
    And anyone who thinks that is just a clueless 19-year-old kid.

What's this thing about people acting as if they're about 80 when they're young? Talk about sucking the enjoyment out of life. I'd rather be 40 and having a laugh than one of those 22-year-olds who think life's over because they're not 18 anymore.

In Bloom wrote: »
    When you start making that "Uggghh!" sound when you bend over and pick something up.

Ah sh1te :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I've just turned 32 and I'd consider anything up to late thirties as young! Maybe that's just wishful thinking though!

I would conside maybe 41 or 42

Its just that by then there are a lot of things you dont feel like doing anymore and you dont have to prove anything to anyone

BUT the it is all relative - personally to me 41/42

• Advertisement
Advertisement